Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 08:04 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Because he was referred to as "Mr. Clean" responsible for keeping San Francisco streets clean. He was charged with corruption, taking bribes, wasting tax payer money to fill his own pockets, etc.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-po...r-15011155.php
Gotcha! Thanks I had forgotten about that. Well, maybe now that he's out of the way at least part of the problem is solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 08:20 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Gotcha! Thanks I had forgotten about that. Well, maybe now that he's out of the way at least part of the problem is solved.

That's true actually! Hopefully it makes a difference. It seems hard to believe the current mayor and past 3 didn't pay attention to his spending and actions. Hopefully, it was just innocent negligence instead of getting kickbacks for keeping a blind eye. We will see soon enough at least.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:29 AM

82 posts, read 101,986 times
I am a Bay Area native and lived the last 10 years in LA and I can tell you that nowhere I have been on earth (and I have lived overseas for 3 years and spent countless years on the road in almost 20 countries on 3 continents + 1/2 of the 50 states) comes close to the Bay Area or LA for quality of life..the only thing that holds me back is cost..I pay $300 a month to live in a nice condo in Bangkok--tough to go from that to Bay Area/LA prices...If housing cost was not an issue then those two places are the place to be....San Francisco is still one of the most amazing cities on earth--up there with a Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong, Berlin, Bangkok, Tokyo, Shanghai, Rome, etc. etc. And LA and the beach cities + Hollywood/Beverly Hills + the Santa Monica mountains and all the China/Japantowns it has ain't far behind..Miami ok but flat, dangerous, lacking bookstores, uneducated, douchey, and too 3rd world...Seattle and Portland are like SF/the Bay Area but the weather is ****...Ditto for Vancouver.San Diego is cool but overall bland/boring and too over priced..Ditto for the OC.....Austin ok but over rated..Chicago great in the spring/summer...NYC great but again cold, price and being flat and far from nature...SF is like NYC but with hills, beaches and better weather + more of a thriving tech scene

Old 02-13-2020, 09:14 AM

I think SF & LA are the worst cities in California. I think south Orange County is where it's at in California from Newport to San Clemente. LA is just strip malls, small expensive houses built in the 70s, SF needs a very very very deep cleaning.

I'd say NYC is the most impressive city in America.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:22 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
The garbage problem is a big issue. I have to agree with your last sentence, BMW. Wasn't someone in the city government just arrested the other week by the FBI for fraud?
Garbage IS a problem. In SF and in many cities across the nation both large and small.

With regard to the garbage and homelessness nexus, it is important to understand that nearly none of the garbage disgracing the streets anywhere is generated by the homeless. The homeless are the least level of consumers in society. What the homeless do is redistribute the waste generated and dumped - much dumped illegally - by our consumer society. We generate trash at a grossly unsustainable rate. Our collection and disposal rates and systems are making the problem even worse.

The homeless collect non-homeless-generated refuse from their immediate vicinity and “repurpose” it in shabby disarray and then further discard and ignore its buildup.

But we consumers are the foundational problem.

Aside from the above clarification: Mr. Clean needs to go to jail.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
I believe that problems are not made, they are created.
huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
I've read that for the average wage slave, he/she would have to work 4.7 full time jobs to pay for housing in the San Francisco market. Why so high?

If it were just market forces, too many buyers chasing too few sellers, that would be the cause of our problem. But it is not.

Anyone can see that there is money to be made by maintaining a large homeless population. How so? Does anyone believe that the city could not house its street people with receipt of a Billion Dollars every four years? Where does the money go? That coupled with a city government hostile to its downtrodden, and the problem of the homeless becomes chronic and unsolvable by design.
So we see you’ve moved on from Pelosi being the problem, I guess? You didn’t answer my previous questions about that, other than to say: ‘yes’ you think she and her husband should spend their personal wealth doing what billion-dollar budgets haven’t been able to do for years and years running. Which application of personal funds to benefit society would then have presumably also been wasted. Brilliant.

Now you appear to have moved on to a conspiracy theory ... without outlining any supporting criteria.

If you want to know where the money goes, that information is publicly available. Go look it up.

And when you figure out how SF can legally and safely house 8,000-10,000 homeless in the region’s real estate market, come on back and fill us in on your plan / budget.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:23 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I think SF & LA are the worst cities in California. I think south Orange County is where it's at in California from Newport to San Clemente. LA is just strip malls, small expensive houses built in the 70s, SF needs a very very very deep cleaning.

I'd say NYC is the most impressive city in America.
So is south Orange County....

Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol I dunno but people using multiple accounts or getting banned and coming back with a new account going after the same people they had trouble with on their old account is so weird, it seems like something that 14 year old kids would do, doesn't it?
Considering some posters here, that wouldn’t surprise me.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So is south Orange County....
South Orange County is very upscale, nice landscaping everywhere, very little to no visible homeless, tons of beautiful homes, shopping centers are nicely designed. It reminds me of the area I live now, but it has rolling hills which is nice in S OC. You drive into LA and it’s just run down strip malls, ugly tiny old houses, streets are ugly as heck... etc.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
South Orange County is very upscale, nice landscaping everywhere, very little to no visible homeless, tons of beautiful homes, shopping centers are nicely designed. It reminds me of the area I live now, but it has rolling hills which is nice in S OC. You drive into LA and it’s just run down strip malls, ugly tiny old houses, streets are ugly as heck... etc.
The Point in Time count — a federally required biennial census of the homeless — recorded 4,792 such individuals throughout Orange County in January 2017, including 2,584 who were unsheltered, meaning they were staying in a place where people normally wouldn’t sleep regularly, such as on the street, in a park or in a vehicle.

Both of those numbers increased sharply in the most recent count last January, which tallied 6,860 homeless people, 3,961 of them unsheltered”

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...n-it-be-solved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland