U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-06-2020, 12:12 PM
 
33 posts, read 4,670 times
Reputation: 57

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The homeless problem is simple to solve. If they are breaking drug laws, arrest them and put them in jail. If they are harming themselves, involuntary confinement in a mental institution. If neither of the others is true, make a law that they cant set up a tent in public park or roadway/vagrancy laws etc. Our parks here in midwest typically close at night.
Is this a joke. They are homeless because they are bused from other states.
Also, do you have no compassion? Some of them were residents who were gentrified out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2020, 12:19 PM
 
Location: On the water.
17,191 posts, read 9,644,254 times
Reputation: 14462
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrypie9876 View Post
Is this a joke. They are homeless because they are bused from other states.
Also, do you have no compassion? Some of them were residents who were gentrified out.
No, they aren’t (bussed from other states). Not sure how many times that myth has to be debunked and re-explained.

“Some were residents before ...”? Yes. In fact, about 85%-90%. Feel free to read the Point in Time homeless counts reports for various California cities for more details. (Such as: 65% were local residents for 20 or more years before becoming homeless in the same cities / counties where they are now on the streets.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2020, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
36,840 posts, read 17,091,010 times
Reputation: 27222
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The homeless problem is simple to solve. If they are breaking drug laws, arrest them and put them in jail. If they are harming themselves, involuntary confinement in a mental institution. If neither of the others is true, make a law that they cant set up a tent in public park or roadway/vagrancy laws etc. Our parks here in midwest typically close at night.
That'll fix it! More jails, more laws, more indeterminate psychiatric detentions - and you are going to be willing to pay for that, even though over the past 50 years none of it has been proven to do any good? We just keep trying the same things over and over and over again with no decrease in homelessness, an increased demand for drugs and no improvements in the mental health system
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2020, 02:46 PM
 
33 posts, read 4,670 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No, they aren’t (bussed from other states). Not sure how many times that myth has to be debunked and re-explained.

“Some were residents before ...”? Yes. In fact, about 85%-90%. Feel free to read the Point in Time homeless counts reports for various California cities for more details. (Such as: 65% were local residents for 20 or more years before becoming homeless in the same cities / counties where they are now on the streets.)
Well, that makes it even worse. As a black woman who was born in CA, the worst thing about tech is the Midwestern whites from the boonies in other states/countries who move to the coasts, gentrify it and import their bland, racist culture. SF is too small of a city for these people not to make a difference in the overall culture. San Francisco was much better 15-20 years ago.

I never meet white people actually from the Bay Area and the rare occasions that I do, their personalities are just MUCH better. It's sad the transplants polluted the culture but then have the audacity to demonize homeless people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2020, 03:13 PM
 
Location: On the water.
17,191 posts, read 9,644,254 times
Reputation: 14462
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrypie9876 View Post
Well, that makes it even worse. As a black woman who was born in CA, the worst thing about tech is the Midwestern whites from the boonies in other states/countries who move to the coasts, gentrify it and import their bland, racist culture. SF is too small of a city for these people not to make a difference in the overall culture. San Francisco was much better 15-20 years ago.

I never meet white people actually from the Bay Area and the rare occasions that I do, their personalities are just MUCH better. It's sad the transplants polluted the culture but then have the audacity to demonize homeless people.
Well berrypie (and I am a pie lover!) ... I am an old Midwestern raised white guy who came to California courtesy Uncle Sam (military). Right in the middle of both the Vietnam war and the Summer of Love / Haight-Ashbury ... and I served in both conflicts

Yet couldn’t agree with you more
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2020, 06:13 PM
 
2 posts, read 373 times
Reputation: 15
As soon as I saw Fox News I knew it was bull****.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2020, 12:51 AM
 
4,232 posts, read 6,149,066 times
Reputation: 4627
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrypie9876 View Post
Well, that makes it even worse. As a black woman who was born in CA, the worst thing about tech is the Midwestern whites from the boonies in other states/countries who move to the coasts, gentrify it and import their bland, racist culture. SF is too small of a city for these people not to make a difference in the overall culture. San Francisco was much better 15-20 years ago.

I never meet white people actually from the Bay Area and the rare occasions that I do, their personalities are just MUCH better. It's sad the transplants polluted the culture but then have the audacity to demonize homeless people.
It sounds to me like the racist culture was already alive and well in SF before the tech boom. It was just a brand of racism that you happened to agree with. I mean, do you even read what you post?


By the way, the Midwest is not "the boonies." It's actually a very diverse and highly populated area of the country - especially around the Great Lakes. I know many coastal elitists have a hard time believing it, but the Midwestern work ethic is a real thing. People of Midwestern stock - you know, the collective who pretty much built the country over the course of the previous century - are generally much more willing and capable of providing the tech companies the level of performance they demand. Perhaps one day you'll get your wish and they Apples and Googles of the world will decide to leave the coast altogether and all those awful crackers will follow suit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2020, 10:28 AM
 
672 posts, read 198,738 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrypie9876 View Post
Well, that makes it even worse. As a black woman who was born in CA, the worst thing about tech is the Midwestern whites from the boonies in other states/countries who move to the coasts, gentrify it and import their bland, racist culture. SF is too small of a city for these people not to make a difference in the overall culture. San Francisco was much better 15-20 years ago.
.
Just imagine how nice it was 75 years ago, although 'diverse' isn't the first word that springs to mind.

Cool...I found some statistics.

https://www.sfgenealogy.org/sf/history/hgpop.htm
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2020, 05:15 PM
 
4,567 posts, read 3,669,246 times
Reputation: 13963
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The homeless problem is simple to solve. If they are breaking drug laws, arrest them and put them in jail. If they are harming themselves, involuntary confinement in a mental institution. If neither of the others is true, make a law that they cant set up a tent in public park or roadway/vagrancy laws etc. Our parks here in midwest typically close at night.
Unbelievable arrogance here, my God, why is it that so many of the uneducated feel that all complex social problems have obvious solutions--that only they can see?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2020, 11:00 AM
 
672 posts, read 198,738 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Unbelievable arrogance here, my God, why is it that so many of the uneducated feel that all complex social problems have obvious solutions--that only they can see?
I'm always surprised by the number of educated who feel they can solve complex social problems. You'd think they would know better but maybe the power and status acquired by actively running matters is just too tempting.

In any case, it's probably just baked into the cake of humanity to confuse models and reality.

Honestly, I'd never seen a homeless person until I moved to California, but they now appear to be a fixture on the national landscape. It's worth considering what has changed in the last several decades.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top