U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2020, 10:15 PM

38,278 posts, read 18,253,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why hasn't CV-19 caught hold in these poor health homeless and taken out a large population of them?

Makes you wonder.
Probably because they live outside and hang out around the same people all the time, it's not like they are going to 100 person parties with strangers in AirBNB's or rented commercial venues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Wrong as usual about what I think.
Never stated it could.
<snip>
What does it matter what my solutions are? I don't have the power to enforce my solutions.
It's not my job to clean up SF's issues. I'm not the Mayor of SF.
It doesn't matter and there is no use talking to you about it because you don't want to solve the problem, you just want to rant about it, over and over and over again....

Old 10-06-2020, 10:43 PM

11,757 posts, read 5,797,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It doesn't matter and there is no use talking to you about it because you don't want to solve the problem, you just want to rant about it, over and over and over again....
LOL of course you snipped because you can't handle the logical responses.

All you want to do is make excuses over and over and over for this situation. Then rant over and over and over about jail costs too much, oh you can't put away mentally ill...you can't do this, you can't do that. Yes those things can be done.

Your only solution is a joke. Put them in houses and pay for all of their expenses and health insurance at the tax payers expense for the rest of their lives.

No other city in the US has the homeless issues seen in SF. It's people like you that have enabled this situtioan to fester out of control.

I have solutions. I can't enforce them.

Let's hear your grand solution on how to fix this mess? A solution that you can't enforce either. LOL

You fail to realize that you can't "solve" homelessness. You can't "solve" drug addiction. You can't "solve" mental illnesses. You can't "solve" entitlement mentalities. You can't "solve" lazy.

You also fail to realize that when you teach humans that there are no consequences for their behaviors....you get exactly what you are seeing in SF, SJ, and Oakland.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-06-2020 at 11:46 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 10:48 PM

What a waste of taxpayer money. These folks should not be allowed to behave or live this way. Most are drug addicts who want nothing to do with being a responsible citizen.

SF Firefighters Contain Blaze That Erupted at Bayview Homeless Encampment Next to Caltrain Tracks

Crews Battle 2-Acre Brush Fire At Homeless Encampment In Oakland

Only drug addicts would have no issue living in this filth. The homeless who truly want to better their lives don't live in these encampments. In fact most would never know they are homeless or even exist.

City clears two more Castro encampments, including site of near-death from fire

Come on Sleepy head let's hear your grand solution to "solve" this persistent issue?

Old 10-15-2020, 06:01 AM

17,804 posts, read 10,222,301 times
Quote:
I have solutions. I can't enforce them.

LMFAO ... Um, then they’re not solutions huh ...
Quote:
Come on Sleepy head let's hear your grand solution to "solve" this persistent issue?
She asked you first ... we’re still waiting ... you’re the one ranting ... oh but wait, you can’t enforce your “solutions” ... right ... lmfao

Old 10-15-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
My solution is to ignore trolls

Old 10-15-2020, 11:45 PM

Thank you Argent Materials!

This week we cleaned up 40,160 pounds of trash containing 73 hypodermic needles (and other unmentionables) on a 1.25 mile stretch of San Leandro St. in East Oakland.

It's unreal how people like Sleepy head and Mutt see nothing wrong with the behaviors that created this disgusting mess and think we should cater to the people who do this.

This is a perfect example of what you get when you enable humans to never face the consequences for their behaviors or actions.

Attached Thumbnails
The Bay Area Soiled/Homeless/Infested/Trashed Containment Thread-oakland-trash.jpeg  

Old 10-16-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you Argent Materials!

This week we cleaned up 40,160 pounds of trash containing 73 hypodermic needles (and other unmentionables) on a 1.25 mile stretch of San Leandro St. in East Oakland.

It's unreal how people like Sleepy head and Mutt see nothing wrong with the behaviors that created this disgusting mess and think we should cater to the people who do this.

This is a perfect example of what you get when you enable humans to never face the consequences for their behaviors or actions.
Love this post!

Why? Because it demonstrates the kind of ignorance that serves to defeat understanding of and solutions for the problems connected with homelessness.

Let’s take it apart just a bit:

1. We see an unsupportable attack mischaracterizing persons who are knowledgable about the challenges of homelessness. Matadora, please quote anything that I (or Sleepy) have posted that says we “see nothing wrong” with the behaviors of the homeless that you complain about. Quote where I (or Sleepy) suggest “we should cater to the people who” create messes. Neither of those accusations are true in the slightest.

2. Let’s look and consider closely what’s in the picture of trash you posted and have attributed to homelessness ... and inferred that any similar scene can be considered the same. There is furniture in the mess including couch, chair parts, a car seat, a lawn chair, a baby basinet, a bed headboard, appliance cabinets. There are packing crate parts and commercial retailer bulk / delivery packaging used in truck delivery of store inventory. There is a plastic (plant) nursery tray. And of course there are many large garbage bags of miscellaneous trash.

Now then, what homeless buy and throw away furniture? Appliances? What homeless handle bulk delivery / trucking crates..? How many homeless buy trays of plants for their garden? How many have wicker baby basinets? How many homeless fill large plastic garbage bags with their refuse.

Things that make a person go “hmmmm...”

Very little, very little of that trash was generated by homeless persons. The homeless aren’t in the everyday consumer cycles that purchase most of those things.

The bulk of that trash was consumed /used by businesses and everyday consumers ... and then discarded randomly, much of it illegally by businesses to avoid refuse service fees. Trash dumps like seen in that photo exist and have existed all over America and around the world since consumerism became civilization’s economic model of excess. Investigations have reported on illegal dumping in every community, whether homelessness is present or not.

Do the homeless ‘redistribute’ trash left by businesses and everyday people? Absolutely. But they don’t generate it. And trashy dumping exists everywhere regardless.

Do the homeless use needles for drugs? Absolutely. And so do uncountable housed addicts who shoot up wherever they are and discard irresponsibly.

The better questions are: ‘If even minimalist housing were available, would the homeless need to drag trash around the streets to any real degree? If homeless addicts had a room with a door and a key where they could shoot up, would they throw their needles on the streets? ‘

You wrote previously that “[you] have solutions, but [you] can’t enforce them.” That is simply hilarious. If your plans can’t be enforced, then they aren’t solutions, are they? But you also feel entitled to mischaracterize others’ information that highlights solutions that CAN dramatically reduce the street behaviors you rant powerlessly about.

Huh.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Love this post!

1. We see an unsupportable attack mischaracterizing persons who are knowledgable about the challenges of homelessness. Matadora, please quote anything that I (or Sleepy) have posted that says we “see nothing wrong” with the behaviors of the homeless that you complain about. Quote where I (or Sleepy) suggest “we should cater to the people who” create messes. Neither of those accusations are true in the slightest.
Of course you think this because you attempt to lump every single homeless case into one lump sum. You and Sleepy have 100's of posts demonstrating this as well as attacking anyone who truly knows about the various homeless types plaguing CA.

Quote:
2. Let’s look and consider closely what’s in the picture of trash you posted and have attributed to homelessness ... and inferred that any similar scene can be considered the same.
LOL and you think you know about the homeless situation in Oakland or any where for that matter? It's a no brainier that every tent encampment you see in the Bay Area looks just like this photo.

Get out and talk to your local Cal Trans workers who have to clean these camps up. It also costs $450 a load of tax payer's dollars to dump this rubbish at a junk yard.

Better yet would you like for me to take photos of the encampments that look just like the surrounding trash in the photo?
Quote:
There is furniture in the mess including couch, chair parts, a car seat, a lawn chair, a baby basinet, a bed headboard, appliance cabinets. There are packing crate parts and commercial retailer bulk / delivery packaging used in truck delivery of store inventory. There is a plastic (plant) nursery tray. And of course there are many large garbage bags of miscellaneous trash.

Now then, what homeless buy and throw away furniture? Appliances? What homeless handle bulk delivery / trucking crates..? How many homeless buy trays of plants for their garden? How many have wicker baby basinets? How many homeless fill large plastic garbage bags with their refuse.
Interesting I've seen "homeless" camps with almost all of these items dragged into their encampment. Any where along 101 where you see tons of trash you can bet there is a "homeless" encampment nearby.

Its truly unreal how much trash is all over the Bay Area lining the shoulders of the freeways, the attaching landscapes and piled all around and throughout "homeless" encampments.

Interesting how you left out the 73 hypodermic needles (and other unmentionables).
Quote:
Very little, very little of that trash was generated by homeless persons.
Total hogwash.
Quote:
The homeless aren’t in the everyday consumer cycles that purchase most of those things.
They don't have to be consumers when they are notorious for hauling many of these items (wherever they get them from) into their encampments. I observed a tent along the Embarcadero in SF back in July with a couch in it. You simply don't know what you are talking about.
Quote:
Do the homeless ‘redistribute’ trash left by businesses and everyday people? Absolutely. But they don’t generate it.
Wrong they trash every piece of land they occupy. They also dump their trash all over the place just as you would expect drugged out uncivilized people to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5pDE3kOLcU

Trash From Homeless Encampment Piles Up Right Next To Oakland High School

Quote:
You wrote previously that “[you] have solutions, but [you] can’t enforce them.” That is simply hilarious. If your plans can’t be enforced, then they aren’t solutions, are they?
Of course they are solutions that work in ever other city in the US. The "homeless" here know they can count on the blind gullible "bleeding" hearts of CA to simply enable them to get away with these uncivilized behaviors.
Quote:
Y But you also feel entitled to mischaracterize others’ information that highlights solutions that CAN dramatically reduce the street behaviors you rant powerlessly about.

Huh.
This post demonstrates the kind of ignorance that serves to defeat understanding of and solutions for the problems connected with homelessness. Stop mischaracterizing me and the "homeless".

Old 10-18-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Of course you think this because you attempt to lump every single homeless case into one lump sum. You and Sleepy have 100's of posts demonstrating this as well as attacking anyone who truly knows about the various homeless types plaguing CA.

LOL and you think you know about the homeless situation in Oakland or any where for that matter? It's a no brainier that every tent encampment you see in the Bay Area looks just like this photo.

Get out and talk to your local Cal Trans workers who have to clean these camps up. It also costs $450 a load of tax payer's dollars to dump this rubbish at a junk yard.

Better yet would you like for me to take photos of the encampments that look just like the surrounding trash in the photo?
Interesting I've seen "homeless" camps with almost all of these items dragged into their encampment. Any where along 101 where you see tons of trash you can bet there is a "homeless" encampment nearby.

Its truly unreal how much trash is all over the Bay Area lining the shoulders of the freeways, the attaching landscapes and piled all around and throughout "homeless" encampments.

Interesting how you left out the 73 hypodermic needles (and other unmentionables).
Total hogwash.
They don't have to be consumers when they are notorious for hauling many of these items (wherever they get them from) into their encampments. I observed a tent along the Embarcadero in SF back in July with a couch in it. You simply don't know what you are talking about.

Wrong they trash every piece of land they occupy. They also dump their trash all over the place just as you would expect drugged out uncivilized people to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5pDE3kOLcU

Trash From Homeless Encampment Piles Up Right Next To Oakland High School

Of course they are solutions that work in ever other city in the US. The "homeless" here know they can count on the blind gullible "bleeding" hearts of CA to simply enable them to get away with these uncivilized behaviors.

This post demonstrates the kind of ignorance that serves to defeat understanding of and solutions for the problems connected with homelessness. Stop mischaracterizing me and the "homeless".
Matadora, no one posting on this topic is as hilariously bizarre as you ... cracks me up.

1. I don’t “lump every homeless case into one” ... You do. You’re projecting. I’m the one who points out the extreme variety of homelessness.

2. I didn’t “leave out the 73 hypodermic needles” ... I specifically pointed out that there are millions of addicts who are not homeless also discarding needles in this country ... and while homeless addicts DO discard needles irresponsibly - YOU can’t identify the difference between housed and homeless discards.

3. I didn’t address “unmentionables” because ... well, you didn’t identify what the hell you are referring to. Whatever unmentionables are, apparently they are unmentionable by you lol.

4. You didn’t address my point that homeless people are not consumers of automobile tires and parts, wholesale packaging materials, lumber, furniture, appliances, consumer electronics, etc etc etc that constitute so much of the trash you rant about. Almost ALL the crap that the homeless drag to their camps is crap they find dumped by consumers and businesses illegally. Saying you “don’t care where they haul it from” is just - well, stupid. Most of that trash is already illegally dumped. Moving it from one dump site to their camp makes no difference. It’s the same amount of crap from the streets and alleys and railroad track sidings and freeway underpasses.

Quote:
Illegal dumping
Illegal dumping is the dumping of waste illegally instead of using an authorized method such as curbside collection or using an authorized rubbish dump. It is the illegal deposit of any waste onto land, including waste dumped or tipped on a site with no license to accept waste.[4][5] The United States Environmental Protection Agency developed a “profile” of the typical illegal dumper. Characteristics of offenders include local residents, construction and landscaping contractors, waste removers, scrap yard operators, and automobile and tire repair shops.[6]

Causes of illegal dumping
The reasons people illegally dump vary; however, research indicates that lack of legal waste disposal options is a primary factor. A shortage of legal disposal options drives demand for waste removal service, increasing prices. Studies also have found unit pricing, which involves charging a set price per bag of garbage thrown out, may contribute to illegal dumping. Although the intent of unit pricing is to encourage people to use other forms of waste disposal such as recycling and composting, people may turn to disposing of waste in unauthorized areas to save money.[8] Additionally, weak enforcement of laws prohibiting illegal dumping and a lack of public awareness regarding the environmental, health, and economic dangers of illegal dumping contribute.[9]
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – With a growing trash and vermin problem in Downtown Los Angeles, Mayor Eric Garcetti is now saying that blame on the homeless community is misplaced.

According to Garcetti, illegal dumping is to blame for the piles of trash that line the streets of Downtown Los Angeles.

“Most of the things we saw in the news recently are from illegal dumping, not from homeless folks, so it’s also important not to blame folks that are living on the streets for everything that we see,” said Garcetti.

City work crews clean up between 20 and 50 tons of garbage every day from the streets of Los Angeles.
50,000 financially broke homeless can’t produce anywhere near that tonnage of garbage.

Compliance Officer Gonzalo Barriga oversees the enforcement of illegal dumping in the city and says their reports confirm that trash is being dumped in the streets illegally.

“There are some streets where it is extremely bad. From one day to the next…we may have cleaned at 9 a.m. and the very next morning we could see a pile of tires, a pile of construction debris,” said Barriga.
... and, since you are from Texas and love everything Lone Star, here’s a blurb from the North Central Texas Council of Governments (Dallas / Ft Worth area) on the topic:
Quote:
Illegal Dumping
Dumping in unauthorized locations is a crime, and is considered a large concern by local governments and citizens alike. Illegal dump sites are not only unsightly, they are a public health hazard and also have great economic impact. Studies have shown that illegal dumpers are much more likely to dump on property where a dumpsite already exists, causing cities to spend millions of dollars cleaning up illegal dumpsites annually to prevent more illegal dumping. Also, illegal dumpers are potentially hurting honest businesses by dumping illegally, since they are not paying proper waste disposal fees.

Illegal dump sites can lead to a number of health and safety concerns for both local citizens and the environment because they can contain broken glass, hazardous waste, exposed metals, and other dangerous materials that can harm children playing, adults working nearby, or runoff into a nearby stream polluting available water supply. Dump sites also attract rodents, snakes, mosquitoes, and other pests, making sites even more dangerous to citizens.

It is up to you to help stop illegal dumping and fight environmental crime! We encourage you to work together with your local elected officials and law enforcement agencies towards a cleaner, healthier, and safer community. Located below are some great resources and information about reporting and preventing illegal dumping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland