Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 07:14 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times

Advertisements

What do they say? "If we all do it, then no one is responsible."

So if there are homeless everywhere (and I have seen them in Washington, DC in the winter laying on grates over steam pipes), then some say there's is nothing we can do about it.

I call bullsh*t on that.

I have drilled down beyond the white paper the city produced on the problem.

Seems there are actually 16,000 homeless residents, 8,000 out on the street and 8,000 basically living in welfare hotels at taxpayer expense. The city of San Francisco spends a quarter of a billion (yes with a "B") dollars to remedy the problem. Each new mayor maintains the status quo; the last mayor hiring pressure washer, city sidewalk cleaners at $185,000 @year.

So far, the city fathers can't get a handle on the homeless problem although the city has passed Prop "C" which is a new tax on tech companies to further fund homeless remediation. Should raise about $300,000,000.

P.S. This reminds me of a true story arising from a Congressional hearing involving the acidification of lakes in New England resulting from smoke plumes (acid rain) from coal electric generators. The environmentalists wanted expensive scrubbers on every unit. One senator asked how many fish were on average in each lake, then asked how much fish cost per pound. It seems it would be better by a factor of 50 to go buy a replacement fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 07:45 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
What do they say? "If we all do it, then no one is responsible."

So if there are homeless everywhere (and I have seen them in Washington, DC in the winter laying on grates over steam pipes), then some say there's is nothing we can do about it.

I call bullsh*t on that.

I have drilled down beyond the white paper the city produced on the problem.

Seems there are actually 16,000 homeless residents, 8,000 out on the street and 8,000 basically living in welfare hotels at taxpayer expense. The city of San Francisco spends a quarter of a billion (yes with a "B") dollars to remedy the problem. Each new mayor maintains the status quo; the last mayor hiring pressure washer, city sidewalk cleaners at $185,000 @year.

So far, the city fathers can't get a handle on the homeless problem although the city has passed Prop "C" which is a new tax on tech companies to further fund homeless remediation. Should raise about $300,000,000.

P.S. This reminds me of a true story arising from a Congressional hearing involving the acidification of lakes in New England resulting from smoke plumes (acid rain) from coal electric generators. The environmentalists wanted expensive scrubbers on every unit. One senator asked how many fish were on average in each lake, then asked how much fish cost per pound. It seems it would be better by a factor of 50 to go buy a replacement fish.
Still not sure what your agenda is ... though you appear to have moved on past Pelosi for the moment.

Fact is: homeless ARE everywhere ... and things ARE being done about it.

But what’s being done can’t keep up with the rate / growth of new homeless ...

Because, while many services ARE responding, the primary underlying cause - lack of affordable housing - is a wickedly difficult bear to wrestle in a free-for-all capitalist culture. Old housing venues, such as SRO’s are all but disappeared now as redevelopment occurs in cities ... and real estate in general is coveted and hoarded like gold.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:54 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I want to know why are cities like DC and NYC able to shelter the homeless and keep the majority of them sane where as San Francisco spends hundreds of millions, can barely shelter any of them and a large about are literally crazy, aggressive, destructive and just allowed to do it. There are politicians in SF pocketing a lot of money, that's my theory.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:00 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
The garbage problem is a big issue. I have to agree with your last sentence, BMW. Wasn't someone in the city government just arrested the other week by the FBI for fraud?

Old 02-12-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
The garbage problem is a big issue. I have to agree with your last sentence, BMW. Wasn't someone in the city government just arrested the other week by the FBI for fraud?
Yes exactly, I bet there is a lot more going on. One of my rich friends in SF started talking about his friend’s family is the only supplier for the city of this one simple product, I forgot the actual item but it was maybe signage but I’m not sure, anyways he said the city is all about who you know. If you are connected you can basically name your own price on bids. We were talking about why do projects take so long to get built here and why are the roads bad despite all the tax revenue and fees the city gets. There has to be a lot of negligent waste and/or money being pocketed.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:07 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Let's point fingers

I believe that problems are not made, they are created.

I've read that for the average wage slave, he/she would have to work 4.7 full time jobs to pay for housing in the San Francisco market. Why so high?

If it were just market forces, too many buyers chasing too few sellers, that would be the cause of our problem. But it is not.

Anyone can see that there is money to be made by maintaining a large homeless population. How so? Does anyone believe that the city could not house its street people with receipt of a Billion Dollars every four years? Where does the money go? That coupled with a city government hostile to its downtrodden, and the problem of the homeless becomes chronic and unsolvable by design.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I've read that for the average wage slave, he/she would have to work 4.7 full time jobs to pay for housing in the San Francisco market. Why so high?

If it were just market forces, too many buyers chasing too few sellers, that would be the cause of our problem. But it is not.

Anyone can see that there is money to be made by maintaining a large homeless population. How so? Does anyone believe that the city could not house its street people with receipt of a Billion Dollars every four years? Where does the money go? That coupled with a city government hostile to its downtrodden, and the problem of the homeless becomes chronic and unsolvable by design.

Are you saying the city purposely doesn't shelter homeless here so they can keep asking for more $$$$? If so, I wouldn't be surprised. However, I also think San Francisco is the epicenter of safe space, political correctness, etc which plays a part that they just let them do whatever they want, wherever they want, wherever they want.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
what's the difference between "made" and "created"?
Quote:
That's from a 2014 report and what it actually said was that it takes 4.7 MINIMUM wage jobs to afford rent in SF, not average wage job. Rent is too high in SF but it's supply and demand, it's not the result of some nefarious plot.
Quote:
If it were just market forces, too many buyers chasing too few sellers, that would be the cause of our problem. But it is not. Anyone can see that there is money to be made by maintaining a large homeless population. How so? Does anyone believe that the city could not house its street people with receipt of a Billion Dollars every four years? Where does the money go? That coupled with a city government hostile to its downtrodden, and the problem of the homeless becomes chronic and unsolvable by design.
Of course it's 'market forces' that cause increases in the cost of housing. I won't argue that much of the money spent on solving homelessness in San Francisco is wasted but how can that influence the price of housing? What are you trying to say, that people paid to work on homeless issues make so much money that they price everyone else out of the housing market?

Old 02-13-2020, 07:52 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I'm not sure if someone in city government was arrested but what the hell does that have to do with garbage?

Old 02-13-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure if someone in city government was arrested but what the hell does that have to do with garbage?

Because he was referred to as "Mr. Clean" responsible for keeping San Francisco streets clean. He was charged with corruption, taking bribes, wasting tax payer money to fill his own pockets, etc.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-po...r-15011155.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland