U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:50 PM

76 posts, read 30,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Again, what's the insult?

East Palo Alto is a small ghetto where the peninsula's servants live. Fremont is a large affluent city full of educated, successful entrepreneurs and immigrants.

Being on the peninsula doesnt make u one of them. LOL.
If the prices were equal I’d live in Redwood City or East Palo Alto over Fremont.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 11:35 PM

33,664 posts, read 58,040,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHoover View Post
If the prices were equal I’d live in Redwood City or East Palo Alto over Fremont.
Nobody asked.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:10 AM

2,301 posts, read 5,121,780 times
Quote:
Great! We’ve got enough people already living here.
You started a thread acting like you wanted information but instead you just turned this into a pissing match with people who actually have personal knowledge about a place. You clearly weren’t interested in having any sort of productive dialogue.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Great! We’ve got enough people already living here.
You started a thread acting like you wanted information but instead you just turned this into a pissing match with people who actually have personal knowledge about a place. You clearly weren’t interested in having any sort of productive dialogue.
I’m just stating the facts those cities are better than Fremont. The dumbarton bridge commute is bond. Living aNd anyone who tolerates it isn’t wise

Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 PM

961 posts, read 324,642 times
Not gonna make any friends here with my reply but here I go.

I’m spent most of my career as a piping contractor in the greater Bay Area.
The last 15 years of my career were as a union employee so I could increase my union pension.

That said I always thought Redwood City and Fremont sucked as a place for people to live.
Those areas are better today than 20 or so years ago.

20 years ago I installed a natural gas piping system to a property in East Palo Alto.
I was shocked to no end.

I normally did not do the work but one of my employees said he was scared of the dogs
I couldn’t believe what he said.
I mean he worked for me for 8 years.

So I took the job from him.
I had to walk through a dozen cages in their backyard of fighting Pitt Bull dogs to turn off the gas to do my work.
Their mouths bounced off the doors holding them in so they could bite me.
I was so scared.
If they got out I would probably be dead
I should have just walked away from this job but it was 2k for a few hours and I’m a ***** when it comes to money.

Bottom line to me was that these areas are less than desirable.

The lower class areas like this kinda suck.

We have a friend in the nicer Fremont area and it seems nice but it will always be a lesser area to me.

Fremont is nicer than the El Camino Real Area of the Penninsula but it still is cheaper due to the location.

East Palo Alto will get better.
It just still sucks.

All the best.
Andy.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

The last 15 years of my career were as a union employee so I could increase my union pension.

That said I always thought Redwood City and Fremont sucked as a place for people to live.

20 years ago I installed a natural gas piping system to a property in East Palo Alto.
I was shocked to no end.

I normally did not do the work but one of my employees said he was scared of the dogs

I had to walk through a dozen cages in their backyard of fighting Pitt Bull dogs to turn off the gas to do my work.
I was so scared.
I should have just walked away from this job but it was 2k for a few hours and I’m a ***** when it comes to money.

We have a friend in the nicer Fremont area and it seems nice but it will always be a lesser area to me.

Fremont is nicer than the El Camino Real Area of the Penninsula but it still is cheaper due to the location.

It just still sucks.

All the best.
Andy.
See. Proof that el Camino is comparable to the worst of Redwood City.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

I was shocked to no end.

I was so scared.

It just still sucks.

All the best.
Andy.
These are just a couple of the many houses in Fremont that are currently listed in the multi-million dollar range. I’m sure the current owners and potential buyers would probably disagree with you about Fremont being a “lesser area”.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...25021179_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...82840310_zpid/

Old 09-22-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
These are just a couple of the many houses in Fremont that are currently listed in the multi-million dollar range. I’m sure the current owners and potential buyers would probably disagree with you about Fremont being a “lesser area”.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...25021179_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...82840310_zpid/
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-42995?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-56398?view=qv

High priced homes are meaningless.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:

You clearly missed my point and I'm not sure what posting a couple of random listings from the Detroit area proves. The listings I posted are very nice houses and they're located in very nice neighborhoods with amazing views. Your posts indicate that you have no real knowledge about Fremont but you still have some sort of strong opinion about it anyways. I'm sure you've never set foot in any of its nice neighborhoods, so you're just unaware. For you to come to this forum trying to prove some sort of point when your whole premise is based on ignorance, it's hard to give it credibility.

For the record, I didn't even grow up in Fremont and have no reason to be some sort of Fremont booster...it's not even my home city. When I moved to Newark in 2009, I didn't have any real opinion about Fremont or Newark. I now know both cities like the back of my hand and have mostly been content living here. There are many things to appreciate. As an actual resident, I could have the right to make criticisms if I wanted to, because I have actual personal experience. You don't.

You came to this forum acting like you wanted some sort of input but you clearly just came to stir the pot. If you actually had personal first-hand knowledge about a city, then I could take your posts seriously. You don't though.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:15 AM

10,212 posts, read 6,577,298 times
Sold our rental in Fremont in 2017. Still have a home in Redwood City. So I might know something about the two.

Fremont is on the upswing, in my opinion. Fremont is actually a conglomeration of smaller towns, which is why it's so uneven. But it has wonderful Indian and Afghan restaurants. Redwood City doesn't. The smaller, more interesting places are being driven out of RWC by rampant development. I don't have time to tell you folks about all the horrifying projects the City Council has okayed and the ones on the drawing board, but here's an example: The main shopping center in Redwood City is at a very busy crossroads and on the edge of downtown. The Powers That Be want to demolish most of the stores and build 2500 housing units there. I have no idea where the occupants are expected to shop if the stores are eliminated -- the only other store is a tiny Whole Foods across the street -- and the City doesn't care. Potentially 5000 people and 5000 cars living at the busiest intersection in RWC with another three apt towers less than 1/2 block away. "Gridlock? Who cares? We're making money taking bribes from developers! See ya later, suckas, we're moving to Atherton!"

I would not advise anyone to move to RWC. You will be sorry. Trust me on this. I lived there 23 years. Every business I ever patronized, all three of the mechanics we used for our cars, all our favorite restaurants, gone. Sacrificed on the altar of shoehorning more more more people kennels into small spaces. You know what the irony is? They turned downtown RWC into a skyscraper canyon and they can't even keep those towers rented. Few want to live there.

Redwood City schools: RCSD closed three schools last year due to out-migration. That should tell you something and it's not good. The school district has enormous bond obligations, upwards of $160 million. Buy a home there at your risk, because you're going to be paying those off.

If I were coming into the Bay Area at this point instead of leaving, I'd choose Fremont. Housing is expensive everywhere and Fremont has better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or