Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:20 PM

24 posts, read 28,048 times

Advertisements

I grew up in WC and am looking to buy a 2 or 3 bedroom condo. If I buy in WC, I can only afford a 1 bedroom because prices have gone up so much so I am considering either Concord, Pleasant Hill or Martinez (near the PH border.)

I work in Concord, one block from Buchanan Air Field so any of these towns would work commute-wise.

Which areas do you think are best and safest for a single woman in her 40's to purchase?

THanks!

Last edited by JenJenMO71; 10-08-2019 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 02:21 PM

136 posts, read 105,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJenMO71 View Post
I grew up in WC and am looking to buy a 2 or 3 bedroom condo. If I buy in WC, I can only afford a 1 bedroom because prices have gone up so much so I am considering either Concord, Pleasant Hill or Martinez (near the PH border.)

I work in Concord, one block from Buchanan Air Field so any of these towns would work commute-wise.

Which areas do you think are best and safest for a single woman in her 40's to purchase?

THanks!
Concord for the best commute

Old 10-08-2019, 03:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Depends where in Concord. The nicer, safer areas are farther down towards Clayton for condos imo.

All of PH is good and probably a shorter commute to Buchannan than the nicer parts of Concord towards Clayton.

I personally would prefer to stay south of Highway 4 in Martinez because of the refineries and all those areas would be nice and safe imo.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:09 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Pleasant Hill to start. I would consider Concord or Martinez if the price is right, but my impression is that condo resale value is not that strong in either city. Also, the eastern end of Concord can be a long drive from the freeway/your workplace. Maybe you can get lucky with something in Walnut Creek.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:50 PM

As far as Concord location, I was thinking somewhere near the Treat corridor.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:51 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Martinez is safe, the condo's aren't terribly expensive but the monthly fees in some cases are $500 which to me would be deal breaker

Old 10-09-2019, 11:27 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Depends where in Concord. The nicer, safer areas are farther down towards Clayton for condos imo.

All of PH is good and probably a shorter commute to Buchannan than the nicer parts of Concord towards Clayton.

I personally would prefer to stay south of Highway 4 in Martinez because of the refineries and all those areas would be nice and safe imo.
This is good advice.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:33 PM

197 posts, read 667,452 times
I'd say Martinez near PH border, PH, Concord off Treat, Walnut Creek are all about the same safety wise. Marginal differences really when you get that specific.

I would look more at each specific complex than differentiate those specific areas. There is a lot of variance in terms of HOA fees, maintenance, and how well the HOA is run. Before purchasing, you would get a copy of the HOA financials. High HOA fees are no fun but low fees aren't necessarily good if there are no reserves and deferred maintenance (that may eventually require a lump sum special assessment fee).

The 1/2/3 br thing is more of a real estate question.

As much as I'd like to say Walnut Creek due to walkability and amenities, a 1br is more difficult to sell/rent and it forces you to move (or live in a cramped space) if you ever have others living there with you in the future.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:34 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Do keep an eye on HOA fees. I bought just over a year ago, and after looking for a year, I was shocked by how high HOA fees were almost everywhere. Typically $400-500/month but sometimes much, much higher. That ultimately helped push me into a SFH, as I had a decent down payment and monthly escrow was about the same as what I would have paid to live in a condo.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:53 PM

I will be paying all cash so I don' t have to worry about mortgage payments but I will have to consider HOA fees. Good advice!

I am totally steering away from a 1 bedroom. It's just too small and doesn't allow for any flexibility like if I decide to have a roommate in the future to help minimize expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland