Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 06:09 PM

23 posts, read 11,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaResiding View Post
If you think Fremont is run down and old, Take a look at Hayward, San Leandro, Castro Valley and Oakland, it will make you appreciate how nice Fremont really is. There are actually a lot of things to do in Fremont, especially being that it is a family oriented suburb. But yeah, if you want more fun, you may have to move to SF or the south bay.

Where are you meeting hostile people in Fremont??? lol. Everytime I am in Fremont most people I run across are friendly and say hello. Not sure where you are going?
Yeah, of course it's going to be better than Hayward, Oakland, Castro Valley, etc. Has the threshold of a "nice place to live" sunk so low that all a city (a term I loosely apply to Fremont, as it's more of an exurb) has to be to be deemed a nice place to live, is to be "better than Hayward, Oakland, and Castro Valley". Especially since Fremont has recently been deemed the "happiest city in America". Seriously.

Really? What exactly is there to do in Fremont that I can't find elsewhere? And you're right, a family oriented suburb may not be for me. The people who live here are in a completely different stage in life. I have little to nothing in common with settled-down types/mature crowd. I doubt I would even call this place "family oriented", as there's a lot of trashy, ghetto types, as well as trailer trash types. But I guess these people have families as well.

People in Fremont don't understand boundaries. They are overly social and want to interject themselves into your personal bubble, even if you want nothing to do with them. I don't want to hang out with worn out, boring, settled-down types that I have nothing in common with. Especially if they are ghetto/trailer trash. I don't feel safe going out a lot of the time.

Especially after being chased down there street by these meth-head looking guys down a street. They were annoying me while driving past me as I was jogging, so I flipped them off. As I made some distance, they turn around and pull up in front of me. One of the guys leaps out of the car and starts chasing me down the street, yelling at me, with his buddy following in their pickup truck.

I managed to outrun him, and the guy got into the car and drove off. Was it smart of me to flip them off? No. Did I deserve to be almost attacked for it? Are you kidding me? No! Especially since I was only responding to being harassed by some trailer trash types.

And this happened in a neighborhood that was supposedly "safe".

Another incident happened, while I was parking in a shopping center to pick up food. Some random weirdo in his 50s pulled up and asks me if I'm selling my car! The guy was probably some sort of junkie. There was absolutely no indication that I was selling my car. It was a regular parking lot in a shopping center what gave him any indication I was selling my car. Anyway, I was irritable that day, and I was especially not in the mood to deal with any weirdos that I responded with "Why are you talking to me?". The guy drove off.

There was another time where I was delivering food (I did DoorDash at the time), and I dropped it off at this one house. The guy got pissed that I dropped the food off at the door. This was a bit before COVID-19 so the contact free regulations didn't exist yet. Anyway, I only dropped the food at his door because I rang the doorbell twice and was waiting a while. Also his dogs came running to the door and I didn't want them to escape. So I left his food at the door.

As I enter my car, he comes out of his house and starts scolding me for leaving the food at his door. I told him that it's a common practice, but he continued to scold me. I made a snide remark because I was getting fed up with him. And he responds by trying to throw a rock at me! As I make a U-turn at the cul-de-sac and head back, I find that the guy has planted himself in the middle of the street. I tried to drive around him, but he blocked my way. Then he just pointed at me and walked off.

Like seriously? With freaks like this in Fremont, and the place just looking crummy and worn out, why is it considered the "happiest city in America"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 12:18 PM

102,066 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGuy1993 View Post
Yeah, of course it's going to be better than Hayward, Oakland, Castro Valley, etc. Has the threshold of a "nice place to live" sunk so low that all a city (a term I loosely apply to Fremont, as it's more of an exurb) has to be to be deemed a nice place to live, is to be "better than Hayward, Oakland, and Castro Valley". Especially since Fremont has recently been deemed the "happiest city in America". Seriously.

Really? What exactly is there to do in Fremont that I can't find elsewhere? And you're right, a family oriented suburb may not be for me. The people who live here are in a completely different stage in life. I have little to nothing in common with settled-down types/mature crowd. I doubt I would even call this place "family oriented", as there's a lot of trashy, ghetto types, as well as trailer trash types. But I guess these people have families as well.

People in Fremont don't understand boundaries. They are overly social and want to interject themselves into your personal bubble, even if you want nothing to do with them. I don't want to hang out with worn out, boring, settled-down types that I have nothing in common with. Especially if they are ghetto/trailer trash. I don't feel safe going out a lot of the time.

Especially after being chased down there street by these meth-head looking guys down a street. They were annoying me while driving past me as I was jogging, so I flipped them off. As I made some distance, they turn around and pull up in front of me. One of the guys leaps out of the car and starts chasing me down the steet, yelling at me, with his buddy following in their pickup truck.

I managed to outrun him, and the guy got into the car and drove off. Was it smart of me to flip them off? No. Did I deserve to be almost attacked for it? Are you kidding me? No! Especially since I was only responding to beig harassed by some trailer trash types.

Another incident happened, while I was parking in a shopping center to pick up food. Some random weirdo in his 50s pulled up and asks me if I'm selling my car! The guy was probably some sort of junkie. There was absolutely no indication that I was selling my car. It was a regular parking lot in a shopping center what gave him any indication I was selling my car. Anyway, I was irritable that day, and I was especially not in the mood to deal with any weirdos that I responded with "Why are you talking to me?". The guy drove off.

There was another time where I was delivering food (I did DoorDash at the time), and I dropped it off at this one house. The guy got pissed that I dropped the food off at the door. This was a bit before COVID-19 so the contact free regulations didn't exist yet. Anyway, I only dropped the food at his door because I rang the doorbell twice and was waiting a while. Also his dogs came running to the door and I didn't want them to escape. So I left his food at the door.

As I enter my car, he comes out of his house and starts scolding me for leaving the food at his door. I told him that it's a common practice, but he continued to scold me. I made a snide remark because I was getting fed up with him. And he responds by trying to throw a rock at me! As I make a U-turn at the cul-de-sac and head back, I find that the guy has planted himself in the middle of the street. I tried to drive around him, but he bloucked my way. Then he just pointed at me and walked off.
I g
Like seriously? With freaks like this in Fremont, and the place just looking crummy and worn out, why is it considered the "happiest city in America"?
I guess you haven't noticed, that the common denominator in these incidents was you reacting in a hostile manner.

IDK what part of Fremont you live in. I've never experienced anything remotely like that there, nor have anyone in my brother's family or their friends, who have lived there for over 30 years. Home prices are far from "ghetto", btw.

I've also noticed there are quite a few 20- and 30-somethings in Fremont, it's not just married couples and families. There are single techies there, that I see at various coffee shops.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-10-2021 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-10-2021, 12:53 PM

23 posts, read 11,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess you haven't noticed, that the common denominator in these incidents was you reacting in a hostile manner.

IDK what part of Fremont you live in. I've never experienced anything remotely like that there, nor have anyone in my brother's family or their friends, who have lived there for over 30 years. Home prices are far from "ghetto", btw.

I've also noticed there are quite a few - and 30-somethings in Fremont, it's not just married couples and families. There are single techies there, that I see at various coffee shops.
Uh, no, that's a completely irrational way for them to react. Should I have flipped off the people who were harassing me? No. Does that give them the right to chase me down the street? No! Should I have made a snide remark to that customer? Probably not, but it was very mild compared to his aggressive behavior towards me. The fact that you'd defend these people is probably an indication that they're your kin. I've been flipped off, I've been called names, but I've never tried to attack someone for it.

Also the prices themselves don't matter. The quality of life in relation to the price is what matters. Sure there are some nice neighborhoods here and there, but overall it's run down. Especially compared to San Jose. Not saying San Jose is perfect. Heck, the east side of San Jose is arguably worse than Fremont. But I felt safer walking through Downtown San Jose than walking through Grimmer Blvd.

That being said, I do think Fremont is a decent place to live. It's a commuter town ultimately. However, it's only good for living. Nothing else. Socially it's sub-par at best. Most people are either boring or unstable. So as long as I don't socialize with anyone in Fremont, I'm good. And you mention single techies. I'm also not interested in hanging out with career-oriented people either. Not that there's anything wrong with them. I'm just not compatible with married people, parents, and career-oriented people.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:35 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,379,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Plans for developing NewPark Mall have been ongoing for years. Who knows what will ever actually become of it. Not to be too nit-picky, but NewPark is actually in Newark, not Fremont. it's part of Newark's general development plan so really doesn't have anything to do with how Fremont chooses to develop.

As for Fremont's downtown plans, those also have been in the planning stages for years. It's anybody's guess as to when that will actually materialize. Development in the area where downtown has been planned has been VERY slow going.
The construction and early success of NewPark Mall had a lot to do with the declining consumer support of Fremont's once thriving central downtown where Capwell's (later, The Emporium) anchored the Fremont Fashion Center.

"Grand Opening of Capwell's - Fremont Fashion Center - 1968"

https://bigmallrat.blogspot.com/2011...s-fremont.html

There was also a high-end men's store, Roos-Atkins at the Fremont Fashion Center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roos/Atkins

Old 02-12-2021, 07:21 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,747,225 times
Quote:
Uh, no, that's a completely irrational way for them to react. Should I have flipped off the people who were harassing me? No. Does that give them the right to chase me down the street? No! Should I have made a snide remark to that customer? Probably not, but it was very mild compared to his aggressive behavior towards me. The fact that you'd defend these people is probably an indication that they're your kin. I've been flipped off, I've been called names, but I've never tried to attack someone for it.

Also the prices themselves don't matter. The quality of life in relation to the price is what matters. Sure there are some nice neighborhoods here and there, but overall it's run down. Especially compared to San Jose. Not saying San Jose is perfect. Heck, the east side of San Jose is arguably worse than Fremont. But I felt safer walking through Downtown San Jose than walking through Grimmer Blvd.

That being said, I do think Fremont is a decent place to live. It's a commuter town ultimately. However, it's only good for living. Nothing else. Socially it's sub-par at best. Most people are either boring or unstable. So as long as I don't socialize with anyone in Fremont, I'm good. And you mention single techies. I'm also not interested in hanging out with career-oriented people either. Not that there's anything wrong with them. I'm just not compatible with married people, parents, and career-oriented people.
Your reaction was also irrational. By now you should know your actions bring difficulties on you. Time to grow up and behave like an adult not a child, and the problems will be far less. What typem of people do you want to associate with??????

Old 02-13-2021, 02:13 PM

124 posts, read 107,720 times
Quote:

Especially after being chased down there street by these meth-head looking guys down a street. They were annoying me while driving past me as I was jogging, so I flipped them off. As I made some distance, they turn around and pull up in front of me. One of the guys leaps out of the car and starts chasing me down the street, yelling at me, with his buddy following in their pickup truck.

I managed to outrun him, and the guy got into the car and drove off. Was it smart of me to flip them off? No. Did I deserve to be almost attacked for it? Are you kidding me? No! Especially since I was only responding to being harassed by some trailer trash types.

As I enter my car, he comes out of his house and starts scolding me for leaving the food at his door. I told him that it's a common practice, but he continued to scold me. I made a snide remark because I was getting fed up with him. And he responds by trying to throw a rock at me! As I make a U-turn at the cul-de-sac and head back, I find that the guy has planted himself in the middle of the street. I tried to drive around him, but he blocked my way. Then he just pointed at me and walked off.

I have never experienced any of that in Fremont. I have lived in Fremont and have returned to Fremont to visit family and friends and never experience any of that. I have been to Lake Elizabeth many many times and everyone I have talked to there is friendly and nice, never a single bad experience. Most people in Fremont are family oriented and friendly. Just regular people trying to work hard and provide for their families. Yes, there are rude people in every city. Fremont is not a Utopia. Fremont has rude and angry people just like any other city with a population of over 200,000. Fremont is a nice city. People in Fremont are far from ghetto. It is a rich tech suburb, what ghetto people live here? If you don't like it then don't live in Fremont. Fremont is a family oriented suburb and if that doesn't appeal to you then leave. There are plenty of other cities in the Bay with downtowns that would appeal to you. Just check out the peninsula and south bay. If I didn't like a city , I would just leave it.

There are plenty of people that like Fremont the way it is and for what it offers.

Last edited by BayAreaResiding; 02-13-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 05:16 PM

17 posts, read 15,279 times
Living in Fremont is like living in India except that the Indians that reside in Fremont are quite entitled and have bad attitude in my opinion. If I have to live in Fremont, I might as well move to India and live in India instead because at least I will be around Indians who are not entitled and who have a better attitude. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:57 PM

102,066 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfamily1234 View Post
Living in Fremont is like living in India except that the Indians that reside in Fremont are quite entitled and have bad attitude in my opinion. If I have to live in Fremont, I might as well move to India and live in India instead because at least I will be around Indians who are not entitled and who have a better attitude. Just my 2 cents.
But in Fremont, you get to live in a 1st world country, and on San Francisco Bay, to boot! You won't find weather like that in India, you can be sure of that!

If you actually went to India, I don't think you'd find yourself wishing you lived there.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:40 PM

17 posts, read 15,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But in Fremont, you get to live in a 1st world country, and on San Francisco Bay, to boot! You won't find weather like that in India, you can be sure of that!

If you actually went to India, I don't think you'd find yourself wishing you lived there.

You seem to assume I haven't been to India. I lived there for many years.

Since you seem to care a lot about weather, I encourage you to visit Goa, Kerala, Ladakh, Himachal, Coonoor, Dehradun, Panchgani, Mahabaleshwar, Lonavla, or Jammu, if you want weather like (or better than) the Bay Area.

I'm glad you brought up "1st world country". This used to mean "aligned with the United States and allies against the Solviet Union and its allies'', but since the early 90s it has come to mean: "a developed and industrialized country characterized by political stability, democracy, the rule of law, a capitalist economy, economic stability, and a high standard of living."

You can argue about whether or not India is these things, but you could also argue the United States isn't entirely these things either, especially given recent events.

What I was talking about is more about the people, and Fremont appears to be 99% Indians.

Most Indians come to the here do so mostly to attend universities here for their Masters, PhDs etc and get a job in these big companies of the Bay Area - these people come from wealthy families, some of them are rich brats and already pretty entitled, spoiled and presumptuous to begin with. After getting jobs with these big companies (esp men) they go back to India and marry a woman from an ultra-wealthy family with a hefty dowry - so you have two entitled and arrogant people who have come and set up their base here.

When majority of these Indians land in Fremont, you are encountering those Indians who don't have an ounce of humility and are pretty arrogant. Whatever fake humility they do show is just for show. The people you live around matter. They can make a place feel drab and infuriating or exciting and invigorating. I'll take genuine, kind, and inspired people over the entitled messed up "sharks with a smile" any day.

So I do feel like if I have to live in Fremont, I would rather wish I lived in India instead.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:41 PM

124 posts, read 107,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfamily1234 View Post
You seem to assume I haven't been to India. I lived there for many years.

Since you seem to care a lot about weather, I encourage you to visit Goa, Kerala, Ladakh, Himachal, Coonoor, Dehradun, Panchgani, Mahabaleshwar, Lonavla, or Jammu, if you want weather like (or better than) the Bay Area.

I'm glad you brought up "1st world country". This used to mean "aligned with the United States and allies against the Solviet Union and its allies'', but since the early 90s it has come to mean: "a developed and industrialized country characterized by political stability, democracy, the rule of law, a capitalist economy, economic stability, and a high standard of living."

You can argue about whether or not India is these things, but you could also argue the United States isn't entirely these things either, especially given recent events.

What I was talking about is more about the people, and Fremont appears to be 99% Indians.

Most Indians come to the here do so mostly to attend universities here for their Masters, PhDs etc and get a job in these big companies of the Bay Area - these people come from wealthy families, some of them are rich brats and already pretty entitled, spoiled and presumptuous to begin with. After getting jobs with these big companies (esp men) they go back to India and marry a woman from an ultra-wealthy family with a hefty dowry - so you have two entitled and arrogant people who have come and set up their base here.

When majority of these Indians land in Fremont, you are encountering those Indians who don't have an ounce of humility and are pretty arrogant. Whatever fake humility they do show is just for show. The people you live around matter. They can make a place feel drab and infuriating or exciting and invigorating. I'll take genuine, kind, and inspired people over the entitled messed up "sharks with a smile" any day.

So I do feel like if I have to live in Fremont, I would rather wish I lived in India instead.
Fremont is 99 percent Indian? Where are you getting your stats from? LOL. Yes, Fremont is majority Asian but not 99 percent Indian. Asian means Chinese, Taiwanese , Korean, Indian, etc. Here are official stats.

How can Fremont be 99 percent Indian, when 40 percent of Fremont is Non-Asian.

Fremont Demographics - 2019
According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Fremont was:

Asian: 59.37%
White: 23.82%
Other race: 7.61%
Two or more races: 4.79%
Black or African American: 3.06%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.87%
Native American: 0.48%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland