Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 07:49 PM

133 posts, read 229,658 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I’ll be visiting Napa and Sonoma for a day and a half and San Francisco for 3 nights and 4 days.

For Napa any winery recommendations and a dinner spot in either Napa or Sonoma?

Any recommendations for food and things that are must see in San Francisco are appreciated. We are staying in union square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 10:30 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post
Hi all,

I’ll be visiting Napa and Sonoma for a day and a half and San Francisco for 3 nights and 4 days.

For Napa any winery recommendations and a dinner spot in either Napa or Sonoma?

Any recommendations for food and things that are must see in San Francisco are appreciated. We are staying in union square.
You asked almost the same question in a 2014 thread. How was your trip? What did you see in SF last time - and what are you looking to do differently (or add) this time around, so we may help you in a more specific way?

Old 01-30-2020, 01:47 PM

In Napa not much. So wide open to different winery suggestions. San Fran about all of the touristy things so looking for some cool options that regular citizens would do? Plus as it’s been 6 years I imagine popular resteraunts and bars have changed.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:31 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post
In Napa not much. So wide open to different winery suggestions. San Fran about all of the touristy things so looking for some cool options that regular citizens would do? Plus as it’s been 6 years I imagine popular resteraunts and bars have changed.
Since you asked specifically about restaurants and wineries both times, I'd recommend Tadich Grill - a definite favorite among locals. Other popular choices are Cala (try the trout tostadas) and Nopa. For a drink or a more upscale snack - The Treasury, a popular (and rather small) gathering place for locals/professionals in the Financial District. That said, if I had limited time in the Bay Area, my focus wouldn't be on food/bars for locals as much as it would be on outdoor activity.

I'd recommend Sonoma Valley (more 'rustic' and laid-back) over Napa; a winery such as Viansa where you can 'kill several birds with one stone' is a good option. Dramatic views via private hilltop cabanas (have to call to reserve), plenty of area to walk and explore, and a wood-fired pizza oven for a pairing with a pinot or whatever you like (or pick up some food at the marketplace for a picnic). That said, a long list of choice wines and spirits are available all over SF and the Bay Area (such as The Treasury and Novela); so if I'm driving to a winery, it's usually more about the excursion and an 'escape' from the City than the wine, in and of itself (and I actually prefer scotch, lol). Make sure you call any wineries in advance; operating hours and tours may change or there may be a private event. You'll get better attention/service by doing so - especially if it's limited.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:22 PM

Thank you.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:54 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
In San Francisco, I always suggest visiting the Cable Car Museum which is located in Chinatown (not far from Union Square).

San Francisco Cable Car Museum

Old 02-06-2020, 11:42 AM

34 posts, read 37,232 times
For restaurants, drive past Napa and go to Yountville. Thomas Keller has 4 fantastic restaurants there:

French Laundry (you'll never get in - books months in advance)
Bouchon
Ad Hoc/Addendum
Calenda (best tamales on Earth)

It's also a nice, walkable small town.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:01 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
San Francisco: Club Waziema for really good Ethiopian in a bizarre location with the best wallpaper you'll ever see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland