Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
LDS LDS started this thread

2 posts, read 16,667 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to the East Bay & we have a toddler & baby. (Currently renting on the Peninsula but are priced out of the market here). I don't have any friends on the East Bay so have lots of questions & would love some input.

Looking seriously at Orinda but also wondering about Danville and Alamo. My husband will have to commute to Redwood City area but we're ok with this - something has to give... I grew up in La Jolla (San Diego) so am not deterred at all by potential "snobbynish" areas.

The most important factors for us are strong public schools, family friendly & very safe neighborhood and then the house itself (min 3 br, 2 ba with a min 10k sq foot lot size that is usable). My husband isn't a fan of these new developments, a la San Ramon. Orinda seems great (esp loved Sleepy Hollow area)- schools are top notch (at leased based on API scores), older houses, large lots, and it seems a better commte to RWC than Danville. Husband doesn't love the fact that there's no real downtown/shops/restaurants etc. Here are my many questions:

- What is the difference between Orinda vs. Danville or Alamo?
- Whats the story with Blackhawk- Danville?
- Does Alamo have a high school? Where do Alamo kids go for HS?
- What's the difference b/w the 4 Orinda elementary schools?

Thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
We've also been looking around some those areas but surprised to see Alamo and Orinda on your list as being more affordable than the Peninsula!( It's ridiculous still isn't it?! ((my husband works down there also)). From my experiences, (with shopping around for houses) is that Danville's house prices are FAR better than what I've been seeing in Orinda. Much better value for the money in terms of square footage, and lot size. I'm not sold on Orinda (yet) since every house I've seen is pretty much on the side of a very wooded hill (not great for kids in terms of flat yard for playing!) and the windy, scary roads are not my thing. There are however, some "flatter" areas on the south side of highway 24. I do like the fact that Orinda is closer to the City (which matters a lot in my family).

I can't help you with the Danville schools, but they seem alright overall per one of the school ratings websites, but I hear that the "Glorietta Elem" is the best in Orinda. In my investigations, most of the schools in these areas you mentioned are pretty good, so it doesn't seem like one school would be THAT much better than the next. The Danville downtown area is much nicer than Orinda's. Sorry , no help here with Alamo, however. For me, it's just always that had "snob" factor that probably isn't even true anymore so I personally never looked into it or thought I could afford it!). Looks gorgeous though!

So I guess, in terms of value and newer, bigger, houses, on flat lots, and a pretty cool downtown area, then Danville would be a better choice. Prices seem to be really going down there imo. For proximity to the City, and probably a little better for your husband's commute, then Orinda. For safety and school rankings, then there's not a huge difference. (sorry, nothing you probably didn't already know!) It's probably all just boils down to a personal preference to the "feel" of the place.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
LDS LDS started this thread

2 posts, read 16,667 times
thanks for your input. yes, Orinda is a lot more affordable believe it or not than the peninsula. (over here- Palo Alto, Los Altos, Menlo Park- a small 3 br, 2 ba 1500 sq. ft house on a approx. 8k lot size goes for around $1.4m - absolutely crazy.) But, it's all relative that's for sure.

I hear you on the hills and windy streets in Orinda - that's definitely not what we want either. But, there are some flat/flatter areas so we'd be looking there. Since you've been "shopping", what areas in Danville are the best? (in terms of family friendly, safe, near the best schools, bigger lot sizes, etc.) I've heard of Blackhawk - seems like the most pricey area? Are there any young families tehre? What areas should i look into?

thanks again!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Schools in both Alamo and orinda are all very good. In Alamo the hs is Monte Vista. In Danville its San Ramon Valley HS.
Danville has a nice downtown with old and new mixed together. It has more charm then Orinda's downtown IMHO.
Alamo has a small downtown shopping area on Danville Blvd.
In either city you could go to downtown Walnut creek in less than 10 minutes and there's lots of shopping and resteraunts there.
Blackhawk is a gated community thats pretty nice, but I wouldn't live there myself. It's also tucked back in the hills (but not tiny twisty roads like orinda). Homes in blackhawk might be a deal now as nothing is moving at all. There is shopping by there with Blackhawk plaza-(mini beverly hills that has problems keeping tenants due to lack of foot traffic. It's a beautiful outdoor mall, but I think it has a reputation of being overpriced so very few people shop there.) and also a bigger strip mall with a safeway and assorted other shops.
As far as safety crime is very low in both your options. My personal choice is Danville or Alamo.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:43 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
oops double post

Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times
We have good friends in Orinda. I believe all the schools are considered top notch - certainly the best in the East Bay. I've heard they have a private endowment so they are really well-funded (I don't know, but that's what I've heard) and I know local parents are really active in the schools. It's very family-oriented and suburban. Friends describe it as a "small town." You will pay more for a flat lot which is why a lot of people end up on hillsides. There are great public parks, though. And of course it is near the Temple (just guessing based on your screen name, hope that is not inappropriate) which is one of the reasons our LDS friends chose to settle there. I do think the commute from anywhere in the East Bay to RWC is going to be rough but I hear you on the pricing - we're renting too.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Piedmont and Orinda have perhaps the 2 highest scoring public school districts in the entire state of California-let alone just the East Bay.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM

276 posts, read 1,458,153 times
Hoping to get some additional info on the Lamorinda vs DAnville/Alamo area, but didn't think it warranted its own thread.

We are relocating from the East Coast. We just came back from a weekend long househunting trip and I am somewhat overwhelmed by the options. We wasted all of Saturday in Marin before deciding we definitely did not want to be there and spent most of Sunday in the East Bay. My husband loved Moraga, and I liked the whole Lamorinda area as well as Walnut Creek. My husband did not care for Walnut Creek, as he thought it was too commercial, but I'm sure there have to be some nice communities within that area.

We both liked Danville and did not get a chance to visit Alamo, but have good things about that area from fellow East Coast transplants.

The issue is that my husband will be commuting to the financial district. He's like as short of a commute as possible. I'd rather not get bogged down by having to live in the "best" area, but rather the most family friendly. Honestly, I see little difference in a 35 vs 45 minute commute, since he will likely be working long hours and travelling alot.

Can anyone weigh in on the commuting options from these areas into the city and which are most family friendly? Also, schools are a huge factor for us, any input would be appeciated. Our housing rental would preferably below 4500/month and we would like to be able to eventually buy in the area.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
For a great amount of info on the East Bay and it's all of it's details you should check out
the Berkeley Parents Network. It is invaluable for the area in which you are looking.
Berkeley Parents Network:

Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
All of those areas have top notch schools so I wouldn't even worry about that. All are family friendly to the same extent pretty much, not much difference. Lamorinda I think is better for the commute b/c it is along a BART line, which provides easy car-free access to Downtown SF and the rest of the East Bay. If you live in Alamo/Danville you'll either have to drive to the WC or Lafayette BART state (WC is closer) or just drive all the way to SF, which I would not recommend as BART is faster during rush hour and cheaper with gas, tolls, and parking added in.

Also did you check out the residential neighborhoods in WC or just the downtown area? If you spent a lot of time just in Downtown WC then of course it will seem commercial but there plenty of nice, quiet neighborhoods all over WC. Downtown WC draws much of its customer base from the Lamorinda and Danville/Alamo/San Ramon areas so you'll probably find yourself spending time there either way. I also think WC is slightly less pretentious and snobby as the other areas.

All the areas are great, it's hard to decide which is better. I think Lamorinda is slightly better b/c it has BART and is closer to SF and the rest of the East Bay. Danville has a nice, quaint little Main St downtown and good sense of community. Alamo doesn't have a downtown but rather a big strip mall instead.

So my suggestion is Lamorinda just b/c its better commute wise IMO. I grew up in the area so if you want to know more feel free to ask away. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland