Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2006, 10:59 AM

29 posts, read 195,901 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I will be relocating from San Carlos CA, 20 miles south of SF, to Greensburg PA, 30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, PA. I am moving for personal/family reasons and expectedly, am a little anxious about the move. I have lived in the Monterey/SF Bay Area for 23 years, and am happy/sad at the same time to be leaving CA. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and moved to CA after I graduated from college in 1981 (I was 22yrs. old at the time). I am now 47, and I know the pros and cons of PA vs. CA, as I live in CA and visit PA at least twice a year to see family. I am excited, anxious, reluctant, and apprehensive all at the same time about this move, as it is a huge move that will have a big impact on my life. This may be a strange question, but has anyone embarked on a similar experience/move and how did you handle the emotional aspect of such a move - I think what I am looking for is some support to help me feel great about such an undertaking. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 02:32 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times
Default Moving

Hi there. My husband I moved from Southern CA (Orange County) to the Boston area 6 1/2 years ago. At the time, we were just out of grad school, and really looking for a change. We were tired of the traffic, smog, lack of trees etc. and were up for an adventure.
The first few years were great. We traveled alot, and have met many great people. But now that we have kids, it is getting harder and harder to be away from our family. We are actually considering a move back, this time to the East Bay, so we can be close to my brother in law and his kids. We are torn though. MA offers a great quaity of life for the kids. What I will say, however, is that we have never regretted the move. There are so many things about New England that I love, many of which you will find in PA too. The pace of life, the natual beauty, the seasons, the history, the good schools, and the proximity to all the wonderfull things the East Coast has to offer. I feel like we have such a broader perspective, having lived someplace else. To be honest, we have often felt lonely, especially around the holidays. But, again, I don't regret making the move. Good luck, and if I can help, let me know!

Old 12-26-2006, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 9,244 times
Lightbulb I'm looking to make a big move too.

[quote=billiemae] I plan to move to Califoria in a year. I've lived in Texas all my life, I feel change is a positive thing. However, I have no idea what area of Cailfornia would be best for me & my father. I take care of my father & he would like to live near snowy mountains. He has also only lived in Texas all his life. I graduate with my BA in a year, I'm a film student & would love to live a nice, safe, but afforable area of California. If you have any suggestion let me now. Change is Good. Good luck in all you do.[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damfinejoe View Post
Hi there,
I will be relocating from San Carlos CA, 20 miles south of SF, to Greensburg PA, 30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, PA. I am moving for personal/family reasons and expectedly, am a little anxious about the move. I have lived in the Monterey/SF Bay Area for 23 years, and am happy/sad at the same time to be leaving CA. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and moved to CA after I graduated from college in 1981 (I was 22yrs. old at the time). I am now 47, and I know the pros and cons of PA vs. CA, as I live in CA and visit PA at least twice a year to see family. I am excited, anxious, reluctant, and apprehensive all at the same time about this move, as it is a huge move that will have a big impact on my life. This may be a strange question, but has anyone embarked on a similar experience/move and how did you handle the emotional aspect of such a move - I think what I am looking for is some support to help me feel great about such an undertaking. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:00 PM

68 posts, read 546,095 times
Default Major culture differences

Hey Damfinejoe, I sure would give this move some more thought. I think you don't realize the MAJOR cultural differences in the people. I also moved back after leaving in my teens, and sorely regret the decision. I assumed that people are basically the same everywhere, and they definately are not. The climate is also REALLY depressing. The Ohio Valley area, generally speaking, gets about 60-70 days of sunshine per year. (It's probably worse than London for Christ's sake.) And lack of sun does take a toll eventually. This area basically has absolutely nothing going for it except low housing costs and no illegals problems.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 40,825 times
hi. i am a college student at the university of pittsburgh. pittsburgh def. has its pluses and minuses. however, the big thing is just making up your mind that you are moving no matter what and will enjoy the transition. change sucks at first but always ends up building your character. pittsburgh has a lot of cultural offerings. it has a downtown that has broadway, ballet, opera, symphonies, museums, etc. There are several differents areas that offer shopping, bars, religious, clubs, restaurants, and fantastic views. The view from mount washington at night is the 3rd best view in the country. The weather is depressing, docking in at the second rainiest city to seatle. however, we do get a fair share of snow which lightens things up and have a good hot summer. it is an hour to snow country if you are into skiing. good luck to you

Old 12-31-2006, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 19,977 times
Good Choice Pennsylvania is a much better choice the smog.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 51,443 times
Pittsburgh was rank the #1 City in North America in 1987 by USA Today. It isn't even on the radar now. It is by far one of the most archaic and political graf city in america its size thus, the economic decline. Alleghenny County has been in the top 10 most Tax Burden county in America since the 1940's. The traffic is a nightmare and the infrastructure is falling apart. The Commonwealth ( Commonthief) is politically still structured in the middle 1800's with boroughs,townships, municipalities,ad hoc boards,croonism,ect so taxes are multiplied. The new appointed mayor is 25 yaers old and his family are a fixutre in Democratic Party politics. He was charged last year assaulting a police officer at a Steeler game and nothing was done. These are the people controlling the local government there. There are massive budget cuts and city services are being slashed. The unions ( mob ) has kept any growth in the county at a minimum. It had 740,000 tpeople in 1950 and only 360,000 thousand now.
Go to Cranberry, pro jobs,low taxes lots of Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland