Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 17,648 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to San Mateo from boston (office is on 92 midway between 280 and 101). I can afford a nice place but I started doing a web search at places I've seen in the past (i've visited the office in previous years) and it seems like all the major apartments have poor reviews (I was thinking of the complexes near the train in san mateo).

I'm used to living in the city where I can walk to places when possible and if I remember correctly foster city is pretty nice (there is a safe way and library all in easy walking distance with nice side walks). San mateo seems a bit less nice but has two train stations (not sure if you can park at them).

Anyways I'm flying up monday (apr 28) for a 2 day visit to try to find an apartment and was hoping for some recommendations of places to check out or avoid. I'd like a fairly modern place that is very safe (not a fan of crime). Being near a gym is a plus (or jcc). Hum. Not too long of a commute (used to walking to work in boston - about a 3 mile walk). I'd consider living up in SF but i'm 'fraid the commute would drive me batty.

Should I consider any other areas? Almanda? Palo Alto? Burlington? I don't really know the area that well - just driven through san mateo twice and spent a day in foster city about 8 years ago and thought it was nice (was an interview at a now defunct company )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 10,784 times
you2notme, I am in a similar situation. Moving mid may and my office is in south san francisco. Looking to rent either in the Peninsula or maybe even Pacifica. Foster City and San Mateo are two very likely options. I don't need to move into my own rental till mid June as I have corporate housing for a month. I have been research apartments on the internet and Archstone, Foster City seems like a decent place. Would be very keen to know where you end up.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:13 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by you2notme View Post
I'm used to living in the city where I can walk to places when possible and if I remember correctly foster city is pretty nice (there is a safe way and library all in easy walking distance with nice side walks). San mateo seems a bit less nice but has two train stations (not sure if you can park at them).
Check out San Carlos which is a nice and safe town. There is a nice downtown (Laurel St.) with shops, banks, Starbucks, etc. that is surrounded by many apartment buildings. Everything, including the Caltrain station (with parking) and a library is within walking distance. A supermarket is about 1/4 mile from the downtown. San Carlos is less than 8 miles from Foster City/San Mateo.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:25 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,936 times
San Carlos is nice, I also like Belmont, Redwood Shores is also close to both of those, but it depends on what you want, downtown Belmont is tiny, downtown San Carlos has a lot more stuff, there are also apartment complexes up in the hills in both towns, and the rent varies. Redwood Shores on the other hand is more modern, and more what people would associated with a modern suburb, it also has apartment buildings, some directly next to the lagoons. Rents have gone up in both areas, more in Foster City and Redwood Shores, which tend to be more expensive. San Mateo has it's nice areas and it's not so nice areas. It all depends on what you like, and how much you're willing to spend for it.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:43 PM

7 posts, read 17,648 times
Turns out I was able to find a new condo in san mateo (94403) for the same price as an apartment - it is in the hill which is very scenic - only sad part is that it is not in walking distance of the downtown area of one of the small villages in that area...

Old 10-03-2008, 06:26 PM

15 posts, read 42,315 times
Depends on where your priorities are. Foster City has much to offer -- nice neighborhoods, great schools, great to run along the levee -- but no downtown to speak of. Foster City is also quite windy, especially in summer. Burlinggame is quite nice with a cute downtown. San Mateo has an interesting downtown, but schools aren't as good. I'd avoid a bridge commute if I could help it (e.g. Alameda), particularly going on I-880.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM

66 posts, read 212,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtosf View Post
you2notme, I am in a similar situation. Moving mid may and my office is in south san francisco. Looking to rent either in the Peninsula or maybe even Pacifica. Foster City and San Mateo are two very likely options. I don't need to move into my own rental till mid June as I have corporate housing for a month. I have been research apartments on the internet and Archstone, Foster City seems like a decent place. Would be very keen to know where you end up.
I lived at the Archstone across from Whole Foods for a bit. Great place. The Metropolitian near downtown is great for walking access to theatre, restaurants, but there are many breakins there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland