Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 03:08 AM

9 posts, read 11,395 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Recently accepted a position and will be moving to the bay area with my girlfriend. We are a lesbian couple looking to buy a 2-3 bedroom house. After some research, we are slowly leaning towards looking in Vallejo. We are in our late 20s and early 30s - looking to still have some social/night life, commute out to SF here and there for a good time as well.

As for living - we would rather spend $400-550k on a house than a small condo closer to SF. Question is - would Vallejo be a good choice? Are there any similar cities to recommend?

Is it safe for the LGBTQ community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 09:45 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
We have a Vallejo resident here, though she rarely posts anymore. It would be great if she saw this thread. She'd be able to answer all your questions. Where is your job--in SF? Did you pick Vallejo for its affordability? (Just a wild guess, haha).

It's gentrifying, but is still a bit rough, depending on where you buy. There are nice developments around the periphery, to the north in the hills especially, and the solidly middle-class nabes are on the east side. But people are moving into around downtown, due to the beautiful Victorian architecture and cheap prices, as well. AFAIK, there's not much nightlife, but there's an artist scene, a coffee shop scene. SF's artists got priced out long ago, and decamped to Vallejo, so if you're into that sort of thing, you may enjoy Vallejo. Otherwise, consider yourself part of a group of pioneers, if you choose to buy around downtown. Our V. resident pointed out, that RE prices are rising (pre-Covid), so anything you buy will appreciate. She bought in the downtown Victorian zone, and loves it. FYI, don't buy on Mare Island; sea-level rise will be an issue there. Vallejo has been "discovered" as the last remaining Bay-front city that's affordable with an easy commute to SF, so people have been moving in, and it's in a state of flux.

There are also properties in-between east Vallejo and Benicia you might consider, if any open up while you're looking. Shopping would be in Benicia. That would entail a longer drive to the Vallejo ferry, if you need to go to SF for work.

Here are a couple of sea-level rise maps, FYI.
https://riskfinder.climatecentral.or...evel=6&unit=ft
https://pacinst.org/reports/sea_leve...ps/Benicia.pdf (Left side = Vallejo)

Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I'd probably go over the hill to Fairfield, the Cordelia area specifically. Or Concord in the North Concord neighborhoods as it's closer in, no bridge toll (unless you work in the North Bay), close to BART, and closer to nightlife. Those areas are just a lot nicer than Vallejo imo.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:20 AM

Thank you for the replies! So my job is not in SF only...I commute a lot for my job and I cover San Jose, Sacramento and SF. My commutes into SF will be slim as I'll be traveling more on the outskirts. So driving and tolls for me is not really the issue (company hybrid car FTW). Reasoning of choosing Vallejo (or something similar) is to be close enough to SF for an easy drive out for social/night life, affordable homes, home v condo, etc.

Another thing to mention - I may only be up in NorCal for the next 5 years, not looking for anything further. Again, that may change if I end up falling in love with the location instead.

Ill definitely be looking into these locations you both mentioned as I am literally going into this blind and trying to figure out my own research on the cities up north!

Old 10-20-2020, 10:29 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnia View Post
Thank you for the replies! So my job is not in SF only...I commute a lot for my job and I cover San Jose, Sacramento and SF. My commutes into SF will be slim as I'll be traveling more on the outskirts. So driving and tolls for me is not really the issue (company hybrid car FTW). Reasoning of choosing Vallejo (or something similar) is to be close enough to SF for an easy drive out for social/night life, affordable homes, home v condo, etc.

Another thing to mention - I may only be up in NorCal for the next 5 years, not looking for anything further. Again, that may change if I end up falling in love with the location instead.

Ill definitely be looking into these locations you both mentioned as I am literally going into this blind and trying to figure out my own research on the cities up north!
Vallejo is not an easy drive to SF for nightlife. It's not really even an easy drive to Oakland for nightlife.

If you'll only be in the area for 5 years, would you be buying at all, or just renting until you decide whether you want to stay long-term or not?

Old 10-20-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Vallejo is not an easy drive to SF for nightlife. It's not really even an easy drive to Oakland for nightlife.

If you'll only be in the area for 5 years, would you be buying at all, or just renting until you decide whether you want to stay long-term or not?
Ah okay...well, the search continues! I am still considering vallejo though just for the difference in houses and prices. I am interested to look into downtown as well!

I would still be buying, no more renting for me.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:34 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Have you considered Oakland?

Or maybe South City?

Old 10-20-2020, 11:54 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
First things first, are you open to renting initially? Rental prices have fallen here in the Bay Area, but housing prices continue to increase (outside of SF city limits) due to lack of inventory. Once COVID restrictions ease, there may be a shift in interest back to SF city proper from the suburbs. That would make buying a house in Vallejo (or elsewhere) a little easier. Of course this assumes no wild swings in mortgage rates.

Vallejo meets your price point, but it's not an especially nice town. It has more character than a town like Fairfield, but once you factor in quality of life it doesn't have the same overall value you would get in places like Benicia or Concord. I would like to point out that a lot of the "nightlife" one used to get in SF has moved to Oakland, and Oakland historically has better catered to lesbian interests. So better to factor Oakland into your recreational commuting than SF.

Although they are at the top end of your budget, I recommend considering Richmond or Concord instead of Vallejo. Both are more centrally located to Bay Area interests and potential nightlife destinations (as well as better restaurants, cafes, etc.). People in your age range in Vallejo are more likely to be living at home or down on their luck. At least with Richmond and Concord you can easily get to places like Berkeley and Walnut Creek, which might have more of what you're after.

I have no real estate affiliations, but here are a few Richmond house listings in decent neighborhoods that might meet your needs:
1. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...18538141_zpid/
2. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...18536768_zpid/
3. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...18534411_zpid/

I am less familiar with specific neighborhoods in Concord, so I will leave the searching to others. I generally find the "bad" parts of Concord to be less bad than the bad parts of Richmond, while Richmond's "nicest" areas (outside your price range) are nicer than the nice areas of Concord.

Final thought: While you could no doubt get a comparable home in Vallejo for $100K less than what you see in Richmond or Concord, you'll make the extra money back when you sell. So you might as well choose comfort and convenience over price! (Or you could just rent for now and see how things go.)

Old 10-20-2020, 12:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I am less familiar with specific neighborhoods in Concord, so I will leave the searching to others. I generally find the "bad" parts of Concord to be less bad than the bad parts of Richmond, while Richmond's "nicest" areas (outside your price range) are nicer than the nice areas of Concord.
What are the nicest areas of Richmond? I'm not really seeing anything nicer than the Crystyl Ranch or Turtle Creek/Cowell areas of Concord.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:01 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What are the nicest areas of Richmond? I'm not really seeing anything nicer than the Crystyl Ranch or Turtle Creek/Cowell areas of Concord.
This is pushing the limits of my knowledge here, but I would say Crystyl Ranch is similar to Brickyard Cove and Turtle Creek is similar to Marina Bay. But beyond that, Richmond has Point Richmond, which is a charming historic neighborhood with many large bay-view homes. Richmond also has its slice of the hills, although technically most of East Richmond Heights is unincorporated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland