Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 11:58 PM

281 posts, read 309,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Hey, I have no problem with that. It is a free country, after all. If Marin residents want to do whatever it takes to maintain their whitopia, you'll get no objections from me. But what rubs me the wrong way is when Marin residents want to be delusional and proclaim their liberal values. Only places I have seen liberals who walk the walk is Richmond down to about Oakland or perhaps San Leandro. It always has been more of an East Bay thing to walk the walk. The rest of the region kind of just piggy backs off the East Bay liberalism, and claims it. But most are really not.
How liberal is liberal? Is it Possible to be liberal without being ultra liberal? Marin can still rightfully claim the title of being liberal, without necessarily being ultra liberal/communist. I’m liberal, but I’m not going to move the neighborhood homeless person into my empty bedroom because it’s the liberal thing to do. There are limits with most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 11:51 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Marin is very, very white and many of the people I've met who live there are the 'virtue signaling' type of liberals that give progressives a bad name. In other words: lots of limousine liberals who only pretend to care about diversity.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:22 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
Is it Possible to be liberal without being ultra liberal? Marin can still rightfully claim the title of being liberal, without necessarily being ultra liberal/communist. I’m liberal, but I’m not going to move the neighborhood homeless person into my empty bedroom because it’s the liberal thing to do. There are limits with most people.
Yes, but Marin is not that. It's a mostly rich, white county that is set on keeping its character (i.e., keeping the black and brown folks in Marin City, the Canal, and outside county limits) and suburban way of life intact by not allowing any development anywhere. I get that having all those narrow valleys makes development challenging, and drought is as much an issue there as elsewhere, but for decades Marin has gone out of its way to do as little of its fair share as possible as the Bay Area grew into the economic powerhouse that it is. It wouldn't be so off-putting if Marin had supported shifting economic development to outside the Bay Area, but they have been more than happy to accept development if it comes with some nice new tax money or national/international cachet.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:22 PM

631 posts, read 288,966 times
Short and sweet: YES.

It may be demographically white, but it is very, very liberal. One of the many BLM cavalcades winding slowly down Sir Francis Drake last summer went on for three hours straight, lined for miles with folks waving BLM signs. That's Berkeley-grade liberal.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:22 AM

580 posts, read 513,929 times
Quote:
You make some good points. We can all be better. However, as I have stated in other posts, there is a thin line between being welcomingly liberal and allowing your town/neighborhood to be run down. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nice get home. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nice, yet poor part of town. Now, are there social and systemic racism reasons for some people being more likely to be poor? We all know there is. However, allowing Marin County to become a ghetto he isn’t going to fix the situation. There should be some places in America that remain nice. Obviously you can’t use most measures to keep people out who might be more inclined to trash up your neighborhood, nor should you, since there are ghetto people in all groups. The only thing you really have left to use our prices and general building restrictions. If you simply make it where an over abundance of houses cannot be built, the less likely the chance of any of those homes becoming low income. Also, if you keep the mortgages and rents skyhigh, the less likely anyone not capable of maintaining those properties well acquire them. It would be a different matter if most places were Marin and there were few places for low income people to live. However, that isn’t the case. There are lots of areas low income individuals have available to them. Yes, it might be Richmond or Bakersfield, but there are plenty of options. To suggest people in Marin, who have kept their area beautiful, should suddenly allow those whom we have historical evidence Either can’t or won’t maintain its beauty, is asking a bit much.
There is a huge difference between being liberal, and being white, affluent, and politically fashionable.

And you are clearly obfuscating the two. Liberalism, means progress and change (presumably for the better). Progress requires a degree of activism, which again, is not Marin.

Marin residents are affluent and are the chief beneficiaries of the neo-liberal society we have been living in for the last 30 years. As such, Marin residents do everything in their power to maintain their position in society.

Home prices are such, that only someone with family money, a degree of affluence, or a c-level executive job can afford housing. By skewing prices towards the investor/executive class, Marin residents pretty much guarantee their area will stay mostly white. The only middle class left, are geriatric baby boomers who purchased 40-50 years ago and are now "house rich".

You are really no different than racist segregationist southerners. Just with a tie-dye shirt, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream in the fridge, and a latte in your hand.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:24 AM

281 posts, read 309,189 times
Quote:
There is a huge difference between being liberal, and being white, affluent, and politically fashionable.

And you are clearly obfuscating the two. Liberalism, means progress and change (presumably for the better). Progress requires a degree of activism, which again, is not Marin.

Marin residents are affluent and are the chief beneficiaries of the neo-liberal society we have been living in for the last 30 years. As such, Marin residents do everything in their power to maintain their position in society.

Home prices are such, that only someone with family money, a degree of affluence, or a c-level executive job can afford housing. By skewing prices towards the investor/executive class, Marin residents pretty much guarantee their area will stay mostly white. The only middle class left, are geriatric baby boomers who purchased 40-50 years ago and are now "house rich".

You are really no different than racist segregationist southerners. Just with a tie-dye shirt, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream in the fridge, and a latte in your hand.
The bottom line is not everyplace can be a ghetto. Marin County is an especially beautiful place, and I don’t blame the citizens there for wanting to keep it that way. There are plenty of ghettos throughout the United States, with lots of vacancy. Higher prices don’t only keep all black people, they keep out anyone who has not shown themselves to be a producer, and cannot maintain their property to a high standard. I to say this but there are just some places not everyone has earned the right to live in. I know that’s not what you and your liberal sensibilities want to hear, but I’ll be damned if every nice place in America needs to be transformed into a low income neighborhood, because broke ass people who haven’t figure things out decide they want to live near the water!

Old 06-17-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
The bottom line is not everyplace can be a ghetto. Marin County is an especially beautiful place, and I don’t blame the citizens there for wanting to keep it that way. There are plenty of ghettos throughout the United States, with lots of vacancy. Higher prices don’t only keep all black people, they keep out anyone who has not shown themselves to be a producer, and cannot maintain their property to a high standard. I to say this but there are just some places not everyone has earned the right to live in. I know that’s not what you and your liberal sensibilities want to hear, but I’ll be damned if every nice place in America needs to be transformed into a low income neighborhood, because broke ass people who haven’t figure things out decide they want to live near the water!
I agree 100%. But your brain clearly did not process the previous posts I wrote. Marin is not really liberal. It's just a bunch of mostly white poseurs trying to be fashionably liberal, while actually being socially conservative, classist, and racist. They just mooch off the reputation that was earned by activists in Oakland, Berkeley, and SF because it's not fashionable to be a racist white person in The Bay Area.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:59 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Marin is not really liberal. It's just a bunch of mostly white poseurs trying to be fashionably liberal, while actually being socially conservative, classist, and racist.
This is hilariously nonsensical; it's a stereotype of 250,000+ people sans any logical reasoning whatsoever. What 'conservative racist/classist' believes it's 'fashionable' (and wants) to be (or appear) liberal, lol?

Old 06-19-2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
This is hilariously nonsensical; it's a stereotype of 250,000+ people sans any logical reasoning whatsoever. What 'conservative racist/classist' believes it's 'fashionable' (and wants) to be (or appear) liberal, lol?
No, you just can't wrap your brain around it. Not that hard to comprehend, unless you are a totally out of touch white/asian dude with no experience living amongst low income latinos or blacks. Of course it is 'nonsensical'. Many things in life make little sense.

But arguing an entire county should exclude low income black and brown people, in order to preserve the culture/identity of an area is a literal conservative talking point. Like straight out of the John Birch Society talking point.

Of course conservative whites pretend to be liberal in the Bay Area. Spouting off conservative rhetoric in the Bay Area can cost you membership to social clubs, it can cost you friends, it can cost you your dating life, and it even costs some people their job. I know a number of coppers who have been forced to resign, put on midnight shift in the ghetto, or outright terminated just for speaking out against Black Lives Matter. Unless you live in Discovery Bay, you will pretty much relegate yourself to an outcast lifestyle, if you are openly conservative in the bay. The only conservatives who run their mouth in the Bay Area are retirees with nothing to lose, who are moving to Idaho or Texas anyways.

Sure people in Marin might be fiscally liberal. But that is not out of the kindness of their heart. They are just the types of white people that throw money at their problems, rather than roll up their own sleeves and put in the hard work themselves. They stop on the side of the road until Triple A comes, because they can not change a car tire. So when they hear about a bunch of poor colored folks, they simply pay their taxes and do not complain that those folks are on welfare getting free money. It's a much easier solution than actually allowing them to live in Marin.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:02 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
They just mooch off the reputation that was earned by activists in Oakland, Berkeley, and SF because it's not fashionable to be a racist white person in The Bay Area.

edit: Tho is it fashionable to be racist anywhere? IMO racism is a totally different thing than being liberal or conservative. I don’t think that all conservatives are racist.

Quote:
Of course conservative whites pretend to be liberal in the Bay Area. Spouting off conservative rhetoric in the Bay Area can cost you membership to social clubs, it can cost you friends, it can cost you your dating life, and it even costs some people their job.

You spout a lot of super angry rhetoric IMO. There are Republicans in Marin ofc...& they are very much in the open. They aren’t in the closet.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 06-19-2021 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland