Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 AM

72 posts, read 192,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia View Post
I am a thrid generation SF person and Frisco is not 'cool'. You must be an out of stater or from So Cal.

Sorry if I sound rude but I was raised to dislike the term Frisco.
Don't diss SC all the good ideas generated in SF have to travel down to LA before they can take over the world. For example Apple which stayed in the Bay Area let the inferior upstart PC take on the world.
I think SF to LA is the same as Boston to NY on the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 AM

93 posts, read 234,347 times
[quote=jeevcy;3688357]What's wrong with san fran? I like it way more than frisco or the city. The City may mean New York if you are in the New York metro, Chicago in Chigacoland, San Fran in Bay Area and so on ...
quote]

I say The City can only mean one thing and that is New York City. SF is the City by the Bay just not The City.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 AM

50 posts, read 146,501 times
[quote=pflau;3692536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
What's wrong with san fran? I like it way more than frisco or the city. The City may mean New York if you are in the New York metro, Chicago in Chigacoland, San Fran in Bay Area and so on ...
quote]

I say The City can only mean one thing and that is New York City. SF is the City by the Bay just not The City.
I have never heard of New York refered to as 'The City'. 'The City' will always be SF. :-P

Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
[quote=crescentia;3692692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
I have never heard of New York refered to as 'The City'. 'The City' will always be SF. :-P
Manhattan is generally referred as "The City" and not any of the other boroughs.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:41 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia View Post
I am a thrid generation SF person and Frisco is not 'cool'. You must be an out of stater or from So Cal.

Sorry if I sound rude but I was raised to dislike the term Frisco.
You must not go into the Fillmore, HP, Mission or any area where there are people of color who are generations deep living in "Frisco" who call it "Frisco" and wear "Frisco" branded clothes .

Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
why is it not acceptable to call san fran or frisco? what's the problem with these names?
My honest opinion? To paraphrase the old joke -- I don't San Francisco cares what you call it, as long as you don't call it "late for the party".

Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM

50 posts, read 146,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
You must not go into the Fillmore, HP, Mission or any area where there are people of color who are generations deep living in "Frisco" who call it "Frisco" and wear "Frisco" branded clothes .
I moved out of the Bay Area over five years ago. I was a third generation person living there and my mom would have killed me if I would have called it Frisco. Just saying.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
why is it not acceptable to call san fran or frisco? what's the problem with these names?
The locals know you are not a native when you say things like that. I saw a truck with a sticker "Frisco" on it and then SF Giants sticker and it made me think how much I hate it when people call it Frisco. Frisco is a dude on General Hospital, not San Francisco. We call it The City.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:31 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
Untrue, I lived in NYC and the only thing we called it was The Island(No not roosevelt). I lived w 113th and Amsterdam baybee...Morningside park.
Also I lived a few years in Chicago and we didn't call it The City there either. We called it the loop or wicker park or wrigley etc...

Only in SF do the refer to it as The City.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
The locals know you are not a native when you say things like that. I saw a truck with a sticker "Frisco" on it and then SF Giants sticker and it made me think how much I hate it when people call it Frisco. Frisco is a dude on General Hospital, not San Francisco. We call it The City.
Why do you hate it when it's called Frisco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland