Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from New York City to San Francisco bay area, need to escape soul sucking professional life, city girl but wanting to slow down, subway BART system, over-crowding, young families

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 37,327 times

Advertisements

Hi-
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here... but I have recently been wrestling with moving from nyc to the bay area. although nyc is incredible (and was an inspiring place for my 20s), i feel like it has become increasingly difficult to truly enjoy living and relaxing here. I currently live in Manhattan.. but also did the Brooklyn thing for a few years. Long story short: My partner and I make a solid combined salary (200K+) but we're becoming these pathologically ambitious (despite the fact that we're accomplished professionally) folks who work very hard and end up feeling disatisfied/disappointed with our life here (ok.. i'm describing a bleak picture here.. I guess I'm trying to capture the fact that although we're successful, we still live like college students and the professional environment here can feel like a rat race). I've also noticed that new yorkers are always running all the time (running to catch the train- be first in line for coffee- catch the cab).. even when there isn't a need to rush (if that makes any sense). Sadly, I've become one of those people who run for the sake of running. Further frustrations include: every good neighborhood restaurant is either booked a month in advance or has a 1.5 hr. wait; soo much money for cramped apartments; although brooklyn initially seems alluring, it's being transformed by competitive 'sex and the city'-type moms with their chanel handbags drinking lattes while discussing how to get their 6 month-old in harvard. sigh.

look- i'm clearly conflicted. the energy and excitement of ny is exhilerating. at the same time, ny is becoming exhausting and i'm ready to settle down, have a family, have a back yard or garden, and work hard.. without losing track of what is really important in life.

the west coast (bay area, in particular) has always seemed attractive because it seems to offer both worlds: access to an exciting, but not soul-sucking professional life.. but with a healthy emphasis on leisure and being emotionally/physically sound. i'm also attracted to the prospect of being out west and close to beautiful warm hiking/skiing/beach areas- harder to find in ny.

i'm definitely a city-girl and am not ready for suburban life. is it possible to live WELL in the bay area... and where. i know san fran is just as expensive as new york.. but i wonder.. do you get more for your dollar *overall*.. and is the overall lifestyle of the bay area (dare i say it).. better for working professionals/young families?

thanks for reading. if anyone has any insight or recommendation.. or whatever, i'd love to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
If you do these things on a regular basis:
1. Eat at good restaurants
2. Go out for drinks
3. Frequent movies, theater, plays, opera, symphony, ballet, sporting events, attend social events
4. Travel out of town on leisure or business
5. Shop at trendy or upscale stores(this doesnt even have to be that often)

Then $200,000 in San Francisco is going to be roughly the same as it is in New York. I've lived in both(Upper West Side) and its like the things I did there and the exact same things I do here, only less hectic, but pricewise, the same.

You say you want a yard and a garden without sacrificing the things that make big city living so attractive? I would recommend 2 areas. Noe Valley in San Francisco or Rockridge in Oakland.

Here's a you tube vid on Rockridge.

YouTube - Rockridge

Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
that said,
Im sure others will have good suggestions! Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 23,791 times
Definitely try the bay area. I just moved back here from living in the East 60's and Astoria for a while. With your situation (and income) you could easily enjoy the nicer things in SF without the annoyances of NYC. Just expect to pick up more transportation costs because you either get a car (if you don't already have one), or take BART (which is more expensive than the subway). Also, relying on BART is a lot harder than the subway because it doesn't take you around town, only through town.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM

26 posts, read 125,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectplacetolive View Post
Hi-
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here... but I have recently been wrestling with moving from nyc to the bay area. although nyc is incredible (and was an inspiring place for my 20s), i feel like it has become increasingly difficult to truly enjoy living and relaxing here. I currently live in Manhattan.. but also did the Brooklyn thing for a few years. Long story short: My partner and I make a solid combined salary (200K+) but we're becoming these pathologically ambitious (despite the fact that we're accomplished professionally) folks who work very hard and end up feeling disatisfied/disappointed with our life here (ok.. i'm describing a bleak picture here.. I guess I'm trying to capture the fact that although we're successful, we still live like college students and the professional environment here can feel like a rat race). I've also noticed that new yorkers are always running all the time (running to catch the train- be first in line for coffee- catch the cab).. even when there isn't a need to rush (if that makes any sense). Sadly, I've become one of those people who run for the sake of running. Further frustrations include: every good neighborhood restaurant is either booked a month in advance or has a 1.5 hr. wait; soo much money for cramped apartments; although brooklyn initially seems alluring, it's being transformed by competitive 'sex and the city'-type moms with their chanel handbags drinking lattes while discussing how to get their 6 month-old in harvard. sigh.

look- i'm clearly conflicted. the energy and excitement of ny is exhilerating. at the same time, ny is becoming exhausting and i'm ready to settle down, have a family, have a back yard or garden, and work hard.. without losing track of what is really important in life.

the west coast (bay area, in particular) has always seemed attractive because it seems to offer both worlds: access to an exciting, but not soul-sucking professional life.. but with a healthy emphasis on leisure and being emotionally/physically sound. i'm also attracted to the prospect of being out west and close to beautiful warm hiking/skiing/beach areas- harder to find in ny.

i'm definitely a city-girl and am not ready for suburban life. is it possible to live WELL in the bay area... and where. i know san fran is just as expensive as new york.. but i wonder.. do you get more for your dollar *overall*.. and is the overall lifestyle of the bay area (dare i say it).. better for working professionals/young families?

thanks for reading. if anyone has any insight or recommendation.. or whatever, i'd love to hear it.

My sentiments exactly. We are in exactly the same boat, and have kids. Living like college kids when you are approaching forty, can get tedious. You have to constantly adapt to NYC, it will never adapt to you. NYC is an awesome city for sure, but in reality devoid of many lifestyle options. I am not that attached anymore, so we are planning on heading west to Bay area. It may not be the silver bullet, but I am sure it will be a dramatic improvement on NYC life. The burbs around SF are much more appealing than the burbs around NY.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 AM

70 posts, read 221,575 times
Quote:
My sentiments exactly. We are in exactly the same boat, and have kids. Living like college kids when you are approaching forty, can get tedious. You have to constantly adapt to NYC, it will never adapt to you. NYC is an awesome city for sure, but in reality devoid of many lifestyle options. I am not that attached anymore, so we are planning on heading west to Bay area. It may not be the silver bullet, but I am sure it will be a dramatic improvement on NYC life. The burbs around SF are much more appealing than the burbs around NY.
I'm in the same boat (my what a BIG BOAT with so many passengers from NYC!)... making a *bold* life change (rather than lifestyle). Lived in NYC all my life and as I am slightly over forty, the fast-paced, in-your-face, hustle and bustle is no longer appealing. I outgrew the club scene long ago and strongly involved in spiritual healing arts, which I understand is BIG on the west coast - especially in California. So I don't know where I'll exactly end up for sure, but I'm putting non-essential items into storage (hopefully my parents' place), giving away other stuff, and start *being* in the moment of moving cross country.

Dana

Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 AM

70 posts, read 221,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrida View Post
Definitely try the bay area. I just moved back here from living in the East 60's and Astoria for a while. With your situation (and income) you could easily enjoy the nicer things in SF without the annoyances of NYC. Just expect to pick up more transportation costs because you either get a car (if you don't already have one), or take BART (which is more expensive than the subway). Also, relying on BART is a lot harder than the subway because it doesn't take you around town, only through town.
Have you already tried local buses with connections to BART?

I've looked into AC Transit (which services Alameda) and other routes, seems reasonably priced... and I don't have a car.

Dana

Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 37,327 times
Hi everyone. Thanks for your insight. This site is terrific. Our mind is made up and we're going to move next summer (we recently signed our lease here in nyc- so we're stuck!) Upside: we'll have a year to investigate neighborhoods and plan things out. We hope to stay in the city.. but we'll see what is available. 18Montclair- thanks for your neighborhood recommendations. Noe Valley seems perrrfect, but we're a bit nervous about Oakland (friends who live in the Bay Area have told us to avoid it)... should we be? Are there any other cute safe SF city neighborhoods that we should be sure to check out where there is a possibility of a decent space, outdoor deck OR garden, 2-3 bedrooms for around 750k-1.1 ? THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If you do these things on a regular basis:
1. Eat at good restaurants
2. Go out for drinks
3. Frequent movies, theater, plays, opera, symphony, ballet, sporting events, attend social events
4. Travel out of town on leisure or business
5. Shop at trendy or upscale stores(this doesnt even have to be that often)

Then $200,000 in San Francisco is going to be roughly the same as it is in New York. I've lived in both(Upper West Side) and its like the things I did there and the exact same things I do here, only less hectic, but pricewise, the same.

You say you want a yard and a garden without sacrificing the things that make big city living so attractive? I would recommend 2 areas. Noe Valley in San Francisco or Rockridge in Oakland.

Here's a you tube vid on Rockridge.

YouTube - Rockridge

Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,543 times
just be careful that you're not jumping from the pan into the fire.

i pretty much grew up in SF from a young age. i felt similarly living in SF in my late 30's...weary of the routine.

i had family & childhood friends in NYC/Jersey urging me to move back. i lasted 3 months and i'm back in Cali in the boonies no less. love it! not for everyone, but it's what i discovered works for me at this time in my life.

sometimes it's not about trading one city for another, but something entirely different.

if you do move out here, good luck!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:09 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectplacetolive View Post
Are there any other cute safe SF city neighborhoods that we should be sure to check out where there is a possibility of a decent space, outdoor deck OR garden, 2-3 bedrooms for around 750k-1.1 ? THANKS!
Hey just saw your note...

If you're used to Manhattan, you understand "decent space" is relative. SF is a tiny city, with cramped housing and way too many people...just a heads up.

SF Family Friendly Hoods:

Noe Valley
Bernal Heights
Inner Richmond
Lower Pacific Heights
Outer Richmond
Cole Valley
Upper Haight
Outer Sunset
Forest Hill
side note: check out the houses on Lake Street which runs through the Richmond districts...think you'll like

East Bay:

Alameda
North Oakland
Oakland Hills
North Berkeley
Berkeley Hills
Rockridge

Sweeping generalizations are just that. Crime is everywhere. You're from NYC and I'm sure you've got some street savvy and built in common sense as a result. A compliment. Obviously you don't want to be driving around in gang/drug trafficking territory at 3am or even 8am for that matter, same is true for here. You're not going to choose to live in the rough neighborhoods more than likely so you'll be fine.

Good luck with your move and don't listen to your friends. LOL.

Last edited by redwoodlvr; 05-10-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland