Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 06:56 AM

269 posts, read 304,746 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to see what happens when San Francisco schools are all renamed. i think this a bit extreme and hyper woke. It will cost up millions and that money could certainly be used on other dire educational needs which are many. I wonder what name Claire Liienthal (daughter's alma mater) or Lowell would end up with. Will Sutro Towers and Washington Street be next on the list? But then again, there is no Frida Kahlo High School or Amuctac Elementary School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 09:11 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
I was hearing about this on the radio driving into work, I think these people have some sort of mental problems. It's insane all the schools they want to rename and the reasons for it. Abraham Lincoln? Alamo? Mission?

They mentioned Diane Feinstein because she replaced a vandalized confederate flag that being flown at city hall but then eventually took it down after people protested. But sure lets focus on that rather than the fact she was the city's first female mayor.

Next they're going to go after the history books so we don't have to learn about all the bad stuff that used to happen. They covered a mural of Washington for that reason. These people are almost as bad as Qanon types.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:37 AM

515 posts, read 252,805 times
not a Bay Area person so I don't know exactly what's happening but from what I've read the school board is already operating at a deficit. And so now they find the money to replace all these names, get new signage, new sports uniforms, as well as other new interior pieces to replace the old ones with all the old names on it. But they aren't focused on getting the kids back in school? It seems like they're out of touch with the populace and while I am not completely against renaming some places, I just can't understand why they would rename so many schools. I mean, Dianne Feinstein? Your current senator? The first female mayor of SF? I mean, the incident in question happened in 1986 which is a completely different time period where America's values were not nearly what they are now. It's ridiculous and just really out of touch right now.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:10 PM

353 posts, read 437,315 times
As a person who considers themselves left to center, I find this action (renaming schools) completely and utterly ridiculous. I can see why it is important to diversify school names...and we should. But I feel this move is part of cancel culture. That we need to somehow cancel everyone who has ever said anything controversial regardless of historical context or their contribution to society. If this is true, we better start canceling a lot more people. Susan B. Anthony, Margret Sanger, H.P. Lovecraft. Walt Disney...for god's sake...one of the biggest antisemites ever...and there is a whole enterprise named after him, but I don't see anyone calling for the shut down of Disney World or Disney films. Yet, we are going to dishonor Lincoln and Washington. I ****ing don't get it.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:16 PM

353 posts, read 437,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
These people are almost as bad as Qanon types.
No, they are just as bad. Opposite side of the same coin. They are not thinking rationally.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
No, they are just as bad. Opposite side of the same coin. They are not thinking rationally.
100% agreed. However, like Republicans with Qanon, unfortunately Democrats give these people the time of day. I am self-identified liberal but registered non-partisan because of nonsense like this.

Since cancel culture will ultimately cancel everyone, they should just rename the schools like they do in some places: Public School #1. I would suggest 1-99 or however many there are, but since these people are all about equity, I propose that each and every school be renamed Public School #1. The superwoke can then exert their effort figuring out which Public School #1 somebody is referring to at any given time.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:29 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,307 times
Even Abraham Lincoln doesn't pass muster with the superwoke nowadays. For those of you not up to date on how far the school board has jumped the shark, here's today's article from SFGate: https://www.sfgate.com/education/art...n-15901689.php

Old 01-27-2021, 01:52 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
What's also disturbing is only one member of the BoE voted against this (6-1). I hope they get massive backlash from parents and alumni.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:03 PM

28 posts, read 71,416 times
School board says, according to a survey, 80% of parents support renaming schools. Either the number is wrong, or 80% of parents in SF have mental issues and don't know about prioritization.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:03 PM

269 posts, read 304,746 times
I wonder what the cost for this will be and how much time will be wasted on renaming as opposed to helping children learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland