U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 8,086 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving to the bay area this summer and have been looking for homes all around. I see many new development and flipped home in the San Francisco, specifically Bayview Park and Hunter Point.

Any thoughts on this particular area as for safety,homes values, neighbourhood demographic, etc?

Just some information. I'm moving from Scottsdale, AZ and lived in Alameda for 3 years 8 years ago. I also lived in LA and Washington, DC for a while. I prefer living in the city and commuting. Also, pretty familiar with Bay area traffic.

Thank you for your insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM

88,207 posts, read 82,219,285 times
lol. I'm getting my popcorn for this one!

Old 02-28-2021, 02:02 PM

16,770 posts, read 17,619,552 times
It’s very different than both Scottsdale and Alameda.

Bayview/Hunter’s Point is one of the most “economically disadvantaged” neighborhoods in San Francisco.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayv..._San_Francisco

There’s a reason why the real estate is priced at these prices. I’d suggest looking for other options.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:44 PM

It was the site of a Superfund toxic waste cleanup years ago. If house flippers have started to put money into it, it means that the housing pressures in SF have gotten to the point, that even HP is starting to gentrify. It has Bayfront property. A few nice condo buildings have gone in, in recent years. It has some nice old Victorians. I wonder if those are the properties the flippers are focussing on.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:18 PM

Have you seen this article, OP?
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...bayview-2018-9

Also, this: (not sure if you'll get a paywall):
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...c-15919739.php

Old 02-28-2021, 08:43 PM

6,494 posts, read 3,519,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting use of the term "veteran residents" in that article and how the entire piece does not mention the acronym "NIMBY" even once.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:33 PM

1,028 posts, read 817,089 times
I am not sure what kind of neighborhood you want, but it's unlikely you'll find what you're looking for in Bayview or Hunters Point. I would put these two neighborhoods at the top of my do-not-move list in the Bay Area along with East Oakland, North Richmond, parts of Antioch, and SF's nearby Sunnydale neighborhood. However, if you are African American and/or can tolerate crime, there are some decent homes to be had. Be prepared to pay a premium for location, and do not expect any amenities other than proximity to the city center that would justify that premium.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 PM

21 posts, read 10,002 times
Are you renting or buying? As others have said Bayview has a bad rep. Not sure how much gentrification/displacement has changed the situation. Its surely safer than the 1990s, but still one of the more dangerous areas in SF. Its not a no-go zone by any means, but if you're used to Scottsdale and Alameda, I'd seriously think about whether it would be a good fit. Gentrification is a sensitive topic in SF and brings up its own set of issues. There is understandably resentment from native SFers over wealthier transplants moving in, and this is probably most true in lower income, more vulnerable neighborhoods like Bayview. Not saying people would be unfriendly, but its a dynamic to consider.

All that aside, for what you get, Bayview isn't actually that cheap compared to other city neighborhoods. During the pandemic average rents there have actually increased, unlike most parts of SF. If you are renting I would look all over the city because landlords are hurting and offering great deals, so you may be able to swing a place you mightn't have been able to before. If you are really set on the southeast part of the City, I would look at the Excelsior or Portola districts before Bayview.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:06 AM

3,816 posts, read 2,248,014 times
From the Business Insider article: "Before reports revealed that areas near the new condos may still be contaminated with leftover toxic materials, some people were willing to spend around $1.5 million a pop to live on the former nuclear test site."

Old 03-02-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
From the Business Insider article: "Before reports revealed that areas near the new condos may still be contaminated with leftover toxic materials, some people were willing to spend around $1.5 million a pop to live on the former nuclear test site."
Kinda clinches it, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland