Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 01:52 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They do have security guards, it mentions it in the article.
That's not what customers and employees are saying.

(Seattle Washington) Shane Harms/ Ballard News-Tribune "Walgreens has not hired a security guard despite recent armed robberies. Meanwhile, stores with pharmacies and competitors of Walgreens have hired security personnel."
https://www.ifpo.org/news/walgreens-...armed-robbery/

"Walgreens reportedly takes a hands-off approach to shoplifting. Interfering with a would-be shoplifter can lead to assaults, injuries and insurance liability; instead, employees are encouraged to call the police only after suspects have left the store, according to their posts on Reddit. “I don’t know Walgreens’ policy, but it’s almost certainly a policy of non-confrontation,” said Matthew Donahue, an assistant district attorney in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office. “Every manager has told me something a little different about what their practice is.” https://missionlocal.org/2021/02/das...-at-walgreens/

(Portland Oregon) "Walgreens doesn’t hire loss prevention staff or security at their stores. Instead, when Walgreens suspects theft, managers call the police. Marceau admitted she called the police “several times a week” for suspected shoplifting over her three years at that store, but only “maybe a handful” of times had people actually been arrested. " https://www.kafourymcdougal.com/case...eens-shoppers/

A comment from a store manager Reddit (unknown location) "First thing you have to remember - they aren't stealing your stuff. You don't open any of it. I know it's frustrating because it feels like a personal attack, but it's really for your own good - and here's why: We write it all off on insurance and taxes. We aren't really taking a hit that isn't covered and reimbursed somehow down the line. The policy keeps you safe from an escalation going south. There's no reason to throw your life on the line for merchandise that isn't yours. Again I know it sucks, but the best thing you can do is shrug it off and keep notifying your asset protection manager."

re: SF Walgreen that is closing: “I feel sorry for the clerks, they are regularly being verbally assaulted,” Luke said. “The clerks say there is nothing they can do. They say Walgreens’ policy is to not get involved. They don’t want anyone getting injured or getting sued, so the guys just keep coming in and taking whatever they want.” For security reasons, Walgreens declined to provide details on their security policies, but Caruso did say that “the safety of our team members and customers is our top concern.” https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15654730.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 04:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's not what customers and employees are saying.

"Walgreens reportedly takes a hands-off approach to shoplifting. Interfering with a would-be shoplifter can lead to assaults, injuries and insurance liability; instead, employees are encouraged to call the police only after suspects have left the store, according to their posts on Reddit. “I don’t know Walgreens’ policy, but it’s almost certainly a policy of non-confrontation,” said Matthew Donahue, an assistant district attorney in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office. “Every manager has told me something a little different about what their practice is.” https://missionlocal.org/2021/02/das...-at-walgreens/

re: SF Walgreen that is closing: “I feel sorry for the clerks, they are regularly being verbally assaulted,” Luke said. “The clerks say there is nothing they can do. They say Walgreens’ policy is to not get involved. They don’t want anyone getting injured or getting sued, so the guys just keep coming in and taking whatever they want.” For security reasons, Walgreens declined to provide details on their security policies, but Caruso did say that “the safety of our team members and customers is our top concern.” https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15654730.php
Just a reminder this a SF Bay Area crime thread so not sure why you are posting stuff about Portland and Seattle. And the two excerpts you have for the Bay Area don't state there are not the security guards present But AGAIN from the actual article:

“We’ve had incidents where our security officers are assaulted on a pretty regular basis in San Francisco,” Dugan said.

But what does that say about SF when they are required for every store? Are you honestly blaming Walgreens for this problem? It seems like you are trying to place blame on the stores to excuse the rampant shoplifting in the city.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:51 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Just a reminder this a SF Bay Area crime thread so not sure why you are posting stuff about Portland and Seattle. And the two excerpts you have for the Bay Area don't state there are not the security guards present But AGAIN from the actual article:

“We’ve had incidents where our security officers are assaulted on a pretty regular basis in San Francisco,” Dugan said.

But what does that say about SF when they are required for every store? Are you honestly blaming Walgreens for this problem? It seems like you are trying to place blame on the stores to excuse the rampant shoplifting in the city.
Oh my I must have really touched a nerve! I mentioned out of area incidents because you seemed to be claiming that this issue was exclusive to San Francisco. As far as security guards being required for every store, I think that's pretty much standard operating procedure for any big city. There is typically far more crime in cities than in suburban or rural areas and it seems that a crisis always causes increases in shoplifting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe...emic-drags-on/

Old 05-21-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh my I must have really touched a nerve! I mentioned out of area incidents because you seemed to be claiming that this issue was exclusive to San Francisco. As far as security guards being required for every store, I think that's pretty much standard operating procedure for any big city. There is typically far more crime in cities than in suburban or rural areas and it seems that a crisis always causes increases in shoplifting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe...emic-drags-on/
Exclusive? No. Again there is the automatic defensiveness when something negative is pointed out about somewhere in the region or CA. Worse in SF than most other places though? Well yes because the article explicitly states that. Four times worse than the national average in fact. It wouldn't surprise me if Portland and Seattle were similar though.

Not really. You don't see that as much in cities like San Diego or San Jose.

But again are you blaming Walgreens for this problem?

Last edited by sav858; 05-21-2021 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 10:21 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Oakland carjackers and criminals are going after people talking pictures of the view from Grizzly Peak Boulevard in the Oakland Hills.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/05...oakland-hills/

Old 05-25-2021, 11:37 AM

Bishop at Oakland Catholic church says he was robbed at gunpoint while praying

Old 05-25-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Oakland carjackers and criminals are going after people talking pictures of the view from Grizzly Peak Boulevard in the Oakland Hills.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/05...oakland-hills/
Just to follow up on this, one thing making it worse is they still have some of the turn outs and small parking blocked with logs, presumably because they think this somehow stops COVID from spreading. They need to reopen those areas ASAP to stop making it so easy for carjackers.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Just to follow up on this, one thing making it worse is they still have some of the turn outs and small parking blocked with logs, presumably because they think this somehow stops COVID from spreading. They need to reopen those areas ASAP to stop making it so easy for carjackers.
I did notice that last time. Was it to deter people from parking there? It's scary, that's a popular spot and I've taken my family up there to look at the views.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:40 PM

Oakland up to 56 homicides so far this year.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/05...nd-shooting-6/

Old 05-29-2021, 06:11 PM

579 posts, read 513,030 times
https://dailysanfrancisconews.com/co...san-francisco/

Yup, like I said. This is the bay area. The elected DA of SF, who is supposed to prosecute crime. Crime is not on the rise because of criminals deviant behavior. It is not on the rise because working class jobs are mostly McJobs. It's not on the rise because liberal DA's refuse to prosecute or offer insanely generous plea bargains. Not the fault of activist judges, who are soft on crime. Not the fault of juries whom have let criminals of the hook simply because they like or identify with them.

Nope. Not their fault. It is the fault of the coppers, who are over worked, underpaid, and underappreciated. Yes, they very people who fight crime are now responsible for the crime! Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland