U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2008, 10:30 PM

470 posts, read 622,628 times

Advertisements

Everyone has made valid points, pertinent to their specific situation. However, you need to keep in mind that everyone's experience is going to be different. It is difficult to answer the question "are there any good jobs in the area?" With the right credentials there are good jobs in every city. It all depends on what you bring to the table. I personally make a great living and no I am not in a tech job. You have to manage your expectations for your life style. No you can not come here working in a service industry job and live in a high rise condo. However, if you are coming here with a degree and going into an excutive level position. You will probably be able to swing it. The bay area is not for everyone, it really depends on your personal situation.

As for the question regarding depression, I haven't noticed a high level of depression in anyone that I socialize with. I just moved here from the Midwest, I would say that the people there are much more depressed with the auto industry being in such a mess.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 PM

470 posts, read 622,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I'm curious about those that talk about how depressing the weather is. Looking at average temperatures, it's usually in the 60s. That's not freezing at all. It's only early December and its under 20 degrees over here with about a foot of snow on the ground. Then July and August hit and its humid and in the 90s. It sucks.

It may say 60 but with the breeze coming off the ocean. It is freezing.

I personally can't complain about the weather because we don't get the cold weather in the South Bay that the city gets. Coming from the Midwest I really can't complain at all, but I do agree that it is cold (even for me) in the city.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:53 AM

96 posts, read 206,236 times
no complaints about the cold here in the northeastern part of the city. it's almost the middle of december and i'm still fine with a t-shirt and hoodie.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 AM

127 posts, read 306,317 times
OMG... this topic grabbed my eyes quickly.. as I thought to myself, sooo true. I have always found SF to seem like a place with a lot of depressed looking people. Now, this is coming from a visitor from SoCal. I just some how find people down south more relaxed and smiling.

As stated by another poster, people in SF seem to make less eye contact and seems are more frugal in material and relationships. I think the number of posts in this topic proves that some do have a common idea of SF people as depressed. However, it's a very soul-oriented place.. so maybe they find happiness in their soul and decide to show it less... who knows???

Old 12-11-2008, 01:11 AM

127 posts, read 306,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrash View Post
Yeah this am on cnn they had the results of a poll that apparently indicates strongly that people that are slanted to the left politically are more likely negative people. While conservative right winger types are happier. It fueled great blogg fodder.

But if that study has merit and SanFran is predominantly liberal then it would give reason to the suspicion.
May be partially true- but the correlation in SF would be hard to prove. Certainly, any moderate may find the press and culture to be saddening and a conservative would be a depressed duck after a few weeks.

I certainly would feel more inlined with poverty and thinking about it if I lived in SF and I would fear attracting it to myself.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,532,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
OMG... this topic grabbed my eyes quickly.. as I thought to myself, sooo true. I have always found SF to seem like a place with a lot of depressed looking people. Now, this is coming from a visitor from SoCal. I just some how find people down south more relaxed and smiling.

As stated by another poster, people in SF seem to make less eye contact and seems are more frugal in material and relationships. I think the number of posts in this topic proves that some do have a common idea of SF people as depressed. However, it's a very soul-oriented place.. so maybe they find happiness in their soul and decide to show it less... who knows???
If you read my post in detail about "not making eye contact", you'd see that was NOT a post about San Franciscans being depressed. I said I did the same thing. You don't want to make eye contact on a bus because it's a naturaly uncomfortable feeling and environment. I'd come off looking depressed, but I LOVED living in San Francisco. I know some of myfriends who are crazy are very quiet on the bus, don't talk much, just stare out the window and we get to the place we're going and they have a blast.

I don't think anyone who hasn't lived in the city can state whether or not people are depressed or not. It's a major city, so of course from a visitor standpoint, people will look depressed because they will stick more towards themselves jsut walking around the street. You see millions of people, you can't make eye contact with everyone and say hello to everyone, especially when public transportation and just walking is the main mode of transportion going to work and back.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:39 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,532,410 times
Here's my post so you don't have to go look for it...
*correction*I actually spent 3 years in San Francisco and 2 years at uni there.

"I spent the last 2 years living there and my impression was the exact opposite. People really utilize everything the city has to offer, I went jogging from the Panhandle to Ocean Beach via Golden Gate Park every weekend and always see hundreds of people enjoying themselves. On a sunny day, everyone is out and about enjoying the city. And when it comes to events, they really have fun...Love Fest, Halloween, Bay to Breakers etc, it's crazy, unlike anything I've seen anywhere else in the world. I like to try new restaurants and cuisines and always run into interesting people doing the same thing.

I can see why some people who don't live there may think people are depressed. Now if you ride public transportation, yes people looked depressed with their heads hung low and no one making eye contact, but that is just the nature of public transportation. I do the same thing when I ride the MUNI, I just don't feel comfortable, I feel dirty, I don't like making eye contact etc so people probally think I'm depressed as well.

People can debate many things, but I can guarentee that the majority of the people in San Francisco are not depressed. Most people who live there choose to. My cousin spends $2000/month for a tiny one bedroom apartment, she has the option to live anywhere because she isn't working, but in her eyes and many others, it's a small sacrafice to live in one of my favorite cities.

Add: Also, wages are a lot higher, even for bottom end jobs. People who work at Inn and Out (fast food chain) make $12 per hour and working at the front desk of some of the major hotels pays around $18-$25 per hour compared to the same franchise paying $10 per hour in West Palm Beach, FL (Marriot)"

Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
I have alsways wanted to move here and live in san francisco and I have visited many times in the past 10 years. I have always been told san francisco was always cold even on sunny days. I moved here in 09 and have been hear for about 6 months now. The weather has been sunny,but very cold it can be 65 and feel like 50. I still like san francisco, but only to visit, the city has many things to do, but not easy to get around in my car, bike, or muni, or bart, sorry but it not a city that meant for transportation. I live in the sunset area and I feel like I live in a foreign country nothing, but asian have taken over more than half of this city and are distroying it. they are taking our jobs for less pay and stack 10-15 people in a house so they can afford to live here. It's hard to go shopping, not easiy and if you want to go to a movie it will cost you for parking about $10 or you take public trans port which still cost you. I think people are very angry here and are not happy at all and I think it because of the weather and the cost of living, I don't think you get alot for your money here considering how much it cost to live here,(if I am going to buy a million dollar home I can think of much better places to live). I love the resturants, and theater here(great), shopping is pretty good downtown, but that about it, but not easy to get to union square even by bart, or muni. if you live in the bay side of the city wall to wall people(if you like that great), but parking is not fun at all, people are rude and angry. There is alot diversity in the kind of people who live in the city. This city is great to visit only not to live, I just don't think you get alot for your money here and most of us cannot really afford to buy a house or a condo here. weather is weird and sucks I like four seasons and San Francisco does not have this, so I will be moving to the outer parts of the bay area, like palo alto, or san mateo, much better weather and things are a little more convient to get to. I also think the hills in san francisco suck, driving them is not fun, sure the views are beautiful, but come on not easy for comunters or to live, you can't find parking and you have to drive or bike up the step hills, what fun is that. The economy is realy bad here right now, more jobs in oakland and san jose. Parks are great in the city, but most of the time it just to damn cold. People here are on the bit snoby side and most of the city is has attitude, look your best spend $800 on a pare of shoes, I think this city is more about material things than LA is(LA is more on physical apperance). Well thats my take on San Francisco. Great for those who love to shop(not easy to get to shopping), like cold weather even on sunny days and if you like step hills with views and if you like snoby and somtimes angry rude people.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
and I will add to my comments, not the wages are not higher here it's hard to find a $12 hours jobs here these days and you have to make at least $16 an hour in order to survive here unless you have two or three jobs then whats the point of living here, if you can't live at all, when life is just about work, just to pay your rent and eat. wow lots of great living that would be, please... I do see people biking and in the parks, but not that many compared to the population of the city $800,000 and I don't see that many people at the parks. It is beautiful here and their are things to do, but it does come at a price and you have to make at least $80,000 year to enjoy it, sorry paying $2000 a month for a 300sf apartment is just plain stupid, This city is great for Gay people because you feel comfortable and my partner and I do, but many things we don't like as well, Gay people are simply not friendly here at all, snobie and materialistic people. I love material things myself, but wow only to a ceratin degree if you have money you will love the shopping here, but if I had lots of money I can think of much better places to be.

Last edited by Iplantlife; 05-19-2010 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 4,793,027 times
I think sometimes you get back what you put out, when it comes to how people act and treat. I know when I smile at someone they oftem smile back. I have not lived in S.F. but have visited 6-8 times and have always come back thinking, wow people go out of their way to be nice there. Not just at restaurants, hotels and stores where they are employees, but even strangers on the street were very friendly to us and always smiled. So I suppose I(we) have had the opposite experiences, which may in part be due to being visitors, but also in part due to they way we treat others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland