Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 01:55 PM

23 posts, read 21,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I read the OP as saying, he doesn't have job security where he is, because Boeing is infamous for laying people off periodically, so he wants to grab this job before his luck runs out at Boeing.

The Reno idea could be worth looking into, though the OP was hoping for less extreme weather, and I count desert heat as within the definition of "extreme", but whatever. It would be a doable alternative to Fremont and commuting from Sac, and would make sense economically. Plus, it would place him out of reach of PG&E's dysfunctionality. Unless he could score a home that's within Sac's municipal utility district, instead of PG&E. (OP, pro tip: there are 2 electrical companies serving Sac, & the by far cheaper one is SMUD. See the Sac forum on how/where to avoid Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) .)
Very well. I was laid off from a major boeing supplier and have been on the search. I can do dessert climate, I loved Phoenix, and what attracted me to Modesto, solely lol. Thankyou for words of wisdom on the energy companies. Does sac, or other cities nearby have programs to help people get on their feet, as far as bad credit and whatnot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 03:05 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprofit View Post
Hello, all. I have a possible job opportunity with Tesla. I would be relocating from the midwest. I already figure on commuting about an hour for affordable housing, bit I wanted to know from some that live there already how is it? Is there some affordable rent places, it will be my fiance and infant. Are there rental programs to help people with less than stellar credit, etc...

Several yrs ago my ex was relocated because of Toyota...but they paid for it ofc. IMO...why would you be making this move if you are super worried about affordable rentals AND you don’t have good credit AND if Tesla isn’t paying for your relocation? It makes no sense IMO.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:26 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Tesla has a terrible reputation on the office and manufacturing sides. People only last long enough to get their stock options. I think a Tesla offer would be competitive only if it is at least 50% more than you are making now (search online for a cost of living calculator) and includes a bonus that covers all your moving expenses. Otherwise it isn't worth the headaches, stress, and negative impact to your family, not to mention the 2-hour-per-direction commute from an "affordable" city like Modesto.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:34 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Tesla has a terrible reputation on the office and manufacturing sides. People only last long enough to get their stock options. I think a Tesla offer would be competitive only if it is at least 50% more than you are making now (search online for a cost of living calculator) and includes a bonus that covers all your moving expenses. Otherwise it isn't worth the headaches, stress, and negative impact to your family, not to mention the 2-hour-per-direction commute from an "affordable" city like Modesto.
They probably only give incentives to techies and management, not grunts on the manufacturing floor, even experienced grunts. (Sorry, OP.)

I'm not familiar with any programs to help people rebuild their credit score. Not sure what you mean by "get back on their feet". You've got a job offer. If you can find someone to rent to you, you can rebuild your credit score yourself. You might have to bite the bullet for a year, and live in a studio, then when you get your 1-year raise (if employers still do that), you could move into a 1-br. Use the year in the studio to be super-disciplines fiscally, and pay down any debt you have, and the same the following years. You'll have to sacrifice and put up with a lower standard of living than you'd like for awhile, to claw your way back to credit respectability, but it's doable.

Do NOT get involved in any debt consolidation programs. I was told by an investment person, that those go on your credit record, and bring your score down! They're a red flag on your record.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-11-2021 at 07:45 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
2 hours!? It's 50 miles! Oh my F... lol :/

Old 05-11-2021, 08:27 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
2 hours!? It's 50 miles! Oh my F... lol :/
Yep, gridlock over the Altamont Pass on 580 starts around 4:30am and then you need to deal with the Sunol Grade on 680. No joke. Probably better off renting an apartment closer by vs commuting that distance just so you can buy a place. You've already heard myself and others comment on the Tesla work environment, which will be very stressful and long hours. Do you really want to add a long, stressful commute on top of that? Sounds like misery.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They probably only give incentives to techies and management, not grunts on the manufacturing floor, even experienced grunts. (Sorry, OP.)

I'm not familiar with any programs to help people rebuild their credit score. Not sure what you mean by "get back on their feet". You've got a job offer. If you can find someone to rent to you, you can rebuild your credit score yourself. You might have to bite the bullet for a year, and live in a studio, then when you get your 1-year raise (if employers still do that), you could move into a 1-br. Use the year in the studio to be super-disciplines fiscally, and pay down any debt you have, and the same the following years. You'll have to sacrifice and put up with a lower standard of living than you'd like for awhile, to claw your way back to credit respectability, but it's doable.

Do NOT get involved in any debt consolidation programs. I was told by an investment person, that those go on your credit record, and bring your score down! They're a red flag on your record.
Very well put. Well getting back on feet I meant renting to me. I found alot of 2nd chance rental places around modesto. Some say its a 2 hour commute, I can work overnight to travel in less traffic, hopefully. The moving cost while I agree, it will be used as a vacation on the way. My kids from my previous marriage are in redding so I would be closer to them regardless.
And I guess I want to make the move the same reason California is the most populous state in the union, because it is awesome, lively, and excellent attractions and weather lol.
Of course to the rest of the country, California is for the rich, bit I see alot of normal, middle class people having an excellent life out there.
It seems alot of people don't care for tesla from an employee standpoint.

Also will they rent even a studio to a couple with a 10 month old?

Old 05-11-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yep, gridlock over the Altamont Pass on 580 starts around 4:30am and then you need to deal with the Sunol Grade on 680. No joke. Probably better off renting an apartment closer by vs commuting that distance just so you can buy a place. You've already heard myself and others comment on the Tesla work environment, which will be very stressful and long hours. Do you really want to add a long, stressful commute on top of that? Sounds like misery.
True...but yeah I worked at a boeing contractor and we were hauling balls working 10s and 12s sometimes 14s 7 days a week. Was laid off there last fall and will welcome alot of overtime to recover from 2020. I will research some places in fremont or close to that have second chance rentals. Modesto has an average tent for a 1 bedroom for 1,000 which would be doable. I believe, from what I have heard from a tesla employee, they are pretty good on their performance raises.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:37 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
True...but yeah I worked at a boeing contractor and we were hauling balls working 10s and 12s sometimes 14s 7 days a week. Was laid off there last fall and will welcome alot of overtime to recover from 2020. I will research some places in fremont or close to that have second chance rentals. Modesto has an average tent for a 1 bedroom for 1,000 which would be doable. I believe, from what I have heard from a tesla employee, they are pretty good on their performance raises.
Modesto is a lot cheaper, but its a terrible commute. I know people that have done it even closer (Tracy) and never see their families. What good is it to live somewhere if you are never home? And then, what are you going to do there on weekends? Honestly, it is a pit there. The only thing good is the proximity to Yosemite, but that's still about an hour and a half drive. If that's where you want to live, Godspeed.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:20 PM

113 posts, read 54,182 times
In general I heard Tesla has toxic work environment but I don't know whether it's specific dept or company as a whole. One thing which is a big incentive is the stock. How many stocks are they offering? Tesla is on a solid path to at least 5X in some yrs. May be you can suck up the work environment till the vesting period and switch to another job keeping all the stocks if you can handle it and your current situation is bad enough to switch immediately. Download the blind app and ask your question directly to Tesla employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland