U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 AM

32 posts, read 97,473 times
Default San Francisco or Seattle for a renter, which is better?

Young, motivated, will have my masters in a couple of months--expecting to make 50 plus in salary, looking to rent an apartment---is it doable in San Francisco--???I love San Francisco for the weather but I do understand it's expensive but I just want to know from those of you that rent--can I live in San Francisco and make per say $55,000 per year and live a comfortable life without struggling pay check to pay check---I have never tried to keep up the the Joneses--I don't shop or need to go out--per say---I like to go for walks, go for hikes, go to the beach ---etc...I like San Francisco because of the weather but am living pretty comfortable in Seattle, so I'm wondering if the same thing can be done? Let me know, all input welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 AM

105 posts, read 200,636 times
Yes San Fran has alright weather. Kinda windy and foggy. In my opinion Oakland has the best weather in California. But other than you liking the weather, why on god's green earth would you want to move to Ca? Your far better off where your at. Trust me. I use to live in Seattle and if I had my way I'd be living there right now. Plus the living cost and housing is just too expensive. Want a good word of advise. Stay in Seattle.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:03 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,408,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen cat View Post
Yes San Fran has alright weather. Kinda windy and foggy. In my opinion Oakland has the best weather in California. But other than you liking the weather, why on god's green earth would you want to move to Ca? Your far better off where your at. Trust me. I use to live in Seattle and if I had my way I'd be living there right now. Plus the living cost and housing is just too expensive. Want a good word of advise. Stay in Seattle.
How are you going to tell him he's better off where he is if he's thinking about leaving? Seattle is depressing. I don't blame him.

Yes you can live in SF as a single making 50 K thousands do it on less.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:14 PM

302 posts, read 646,436 times
I lived in Seattle for 5 years before I moved here. I was making $42k when I left Seattle and started at $44k here. It was a sizeable difference because:

1. There is no state tax in Washington. So, although I made $2k more here, I actually took home less.

2. I had a large one bedroom for $745/mo on Capitol Hill in Seattle. The cheapest rent I have never had here was $850/mo for a bedroom in a shared living situation. I'm now in a tiny studio for $950/mo. However, three friends who share a three bedroom next door pay $675/mo each - so cheaper rents can be found, but only in shared living situations and only if at least one person in the unit has been there a long time.

I couldn't make it here on $44k. It got to a point where I had to find a new job or leave. I make a ton more now and it's a lot easier, but I doubt I'll ever own here, at least by myself. Then again, I doubt I'd own in Seattle either.

I DEFINITELY like the weather better in SF. Seattle, IMO, has the most perfect summers I've ever experienced - it's like that in SF in Sept, Oct, and partly Nov. However, June and July are not so nice here. But, it NEVER gets as cold as Seattle and it rains way less - always amuses me when people here complain about the rain.

I think you could definitely do it on $55k.....it depends on how much debt you have.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:08 PM

639 posts, read 19,305 times
Moving, San Francisco is your place you can make it on 50 grand, and what you want to do is find yourself an apartment that is covered under rent control which is any apartment building built in 1979 or before, otherwise if you get yourself a new rental you will be paying market rate and your rent will go up at market rate.

Rent control is a way to keep rents affordable if your lucky to find one, but you can get settled in then keep searching, I saw a spacious studio in Nob Hill going for 750.$ pop up all in a sudden in the rentals search, so yes it can surely happen especially when your motivated. Go for it!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 PM

175 posts, read 532,315 times
Default Yep.. stay in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen cat View Post
Ditto to that one.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM

2,267 posts, read 5,286,572 times
I would pick S.F. over Seattle. It sounds like the poster doesn't live in either, but are making after college plans. I live in Tacoma, moved from San Jose, and can't stand the weather. I would pay the extra to live in The Bay.

You could do it on that salary. You said you were motivated. If you are the sky's the limit. Do it or regret it later, that's my philosophy.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 PM

13 posts, read 24,612 times
Default sf vs seattle

Been in SF for 2 years after 10 in Seattle; I was sick of the weather. I like the occasional heat here, and fog is a little different from the gray overhang but sometimes feel really need more heat than SF offers; culturally I prefer Seattle.

Rent-wise, I'm paying 700 (which is cheap) to live in a crappy neighborhood full of bums and crackheads. I could be in Seattle on capitol hill for the same. Sometimes I consider going back because of the cost and overall cleanliness crowdedness factor, but weather's a deterrant. Nowhere's perfect.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM

409 posts, read 1,220,369 times
Biggest challenge in SF is dealing with rental hoops, not the cost. Just because you can pay doesn't mean they'll rent to you. I recommend avoiding apartment management companies as often as possible unless they own the building and even then in many cases (cough *citi apartments* cough)

Old 06-10-2008, 04:29 PM

7,838 posts, read 11,745,463 times
Is it possible to find a condo for less than $450 K in any part of SF?

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland