Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusting View Post

I'm not too sure democracy is alive and well in CA though. Proposition #187 was passed by voters and then thrown out by activist judges. Also, the recent court ruling on gay marriage was the act of an activist court. It seems the voices of the people of CA don't matter. Oh well...

You do realize that the ALL but ONE of those judges are CONSERVATIVE right? those damn conservative activists.....

Also when these "activist" judges threw out a SF voter approved ban on handguns, do you think they did the right thing or did the wrong thing b/c they were going against the will of the people?

So you think that the CA State Supreme Court with SIX REPUBLICANS and ONE DEMOCRAT is "activist"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 06:46 PM

175 posts, read 795,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You do realize that the ALL but ONE of those judges are CONSERVATIVE right? those damn conservative activists.....

Also when these "activist" judges threw out a SF voter approved ban on handguns, do you think they did the right thing or did the wrong thing b/c they were going against the will of the people?
What does being conservative or liberal have to do with anything? If the people vote then the judges should not have the ability to throw out the results. Regardless of the outcome.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:

It's not your economy. It's your VALUES.
Have you ever actually been to SF? Just curious. Our values are not that fundamentally different. We still believe in hard work, personal responsibility, helping out one another, doing good for the environment and ourselves, taking care of family and friends, etc..

Yeah we may support gay marriage and be more open minded about certain things but that does not make us bad people. Is alright for the rest of us to say negative things about people from Wisconsin just b/c we don't like YOUR VALUES? I just spent a few minutes looking through your profile and you sure do spend a lot of time talking about politics, hating liberals, saying negative things about CA, etc... So much so I can't really take anything you say that serious b/c you got some chip on your should and animosity towards people you know very little about for god knows what reason.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisande View Post
What does being conservative or liberal have to do with anything? If the people vote then the judges should not have the ability to throw out the results. Regardless of the outcome.
well many times when people complain about "activist" judges its only when they support a liberal position.

Did you not go to grade school and learn about the whole system of checks and balances or have a clue how a republic works?

People voted for segregation, so does that make it right?

Seriously if you honestly don't understand why we have judges to throw out unconstitutional laws and propositions then you might need to retake US history and refresh up on it.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisande View Post
So I'm curious, do you think that there should be a ban on handguns in SF since voters approved it?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:57 PM

153 posts, read 565,790 times
Quote:

So you think that the CA State Supreme Court with SIX REPUBLICANS and ONE DEMOCRAT is "activist"?
Regarding the handguns: if the voters voted to BAN them, then yes, they should have been banned. Regarding the court makeup: They can't be that conservative. I don't care if they have a D or an R at the end of their name. There are a lot of so called Republicans who are NOT conservative. I look at what people do, not what they say or what they pretend to be.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Regarding the handguns: if the voters voted to BAN them, then yes, they should have been banned. Regarding the court makeup: They can't be that conservative. I don't care if they have a D or an R at the end of their name. There are a lot of so called Republicans who are NOT conservative. I look at what people do, not what they say or what they pretend to be.
fair enough, at least you're not a hypocrite when it comes to standing by what you claim to believe in, unlike some people.

Not "conservative" according to who? you?

Also a true conservative and true conservative values are those of Barry Goldwater and the like. This whole religious right/moral majority BS is NOT true conservatism.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM

153 posts, read 565,790 times
Quote:
Have you ever actually been to SF? Just curious. Our values are not that fundamentally different. We still believe in hard work, personal responsibility, helping out one another, doing good for the environment and ourselves, taking care of family and friends, etc..

Yeah we may support gay marriage and be more open minded about certain things but that does not make us bad people. Is alright for the rest of us to say negative things about people from Wisconsin just b/c we don't like YOUR VALUES? I just spent a few minutes looking through your profile and you sure do spend a lot of time talking about politics, hating liberals, saying negative things about CA, etc... So much so I can't really take anything you say that serious b/c you got some chip on your should and animosity towards people you know very little about for god knows what reason.
Wow, you're on a posting spree. I know you're mad but please don't take it out on your mouse Yes, I've been to SF, and don't blame me for all this. go through this thread and you'll see I haven't taken it anywhere that anyone didn't allow

Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Wow, you're on a posting spree. I know you're mad but please don't take it out on your mouse Yes, I've been to SF, and don't blame me for all this. go through this thread and you'll see I haven't taken it anywhere that anyone didn't allow
Not mad at all, I just find it very annoying when people from other parts of the country come onto these little online forums or whatever then say negative things about this place based on what they THINK the people and place is like based off of the media and stereotypes. I am moderate and get plenty annoyed with the stuff I see come out of SF or Berkeley but most people in the Bay Area are not that far left or how people might perceive them to be.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,043,756 times
Default No Ban!

Quote:
So I'm curious, do you think that there should be a ban on handguns in SF since voters approved it?
I think that was one of the most dumbest thing that was put before the voters, ban on handguns, if one dont want to own a handgun thats their problem, but them telling me that I cant own a handgun, I dont like people infringing on my rights.

So no there should not be a ban on handguns but there should be a recall on mayor Newsome and get him out fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland