Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 12:21 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why not join some Meetups for people in the general range of 40? Some Meetups are for specific age ranges. Same with some sports activity groups; some hiking clubs have singles hikes that attract a variety of ages, some may occasionally organize age-specific ones.
This is good advice. I'm in a happy hour group that skews older than me (30s-50s), and until COVID shut down bars, the group had events every couple weeks. There is a multitude of hiking groups here in the Bay Area, and they cover pretty much every demographic you can think of. And unlike happy hours, hiking continues in a semi-post-COVID world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 05:08 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
https://www.yourasianconnection.com/...php?event=1415

Old 08-13-2021, 01:37 AM

124 posts, read 110,246 times
The cool thing is Unlike the olden days (pre-1997, I guess), where you actually had to go out or ask friends and family if they knew anyone single, these days you can probably meet a ton of women online.

This is like the best of times to meet women, you literally have access to meet hundreds of women, you would never see in real life, through the internet or an app. Crazy.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:55 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaResiding View Post
The cool thing is Unlike the olden days (pre-1997, I guess), where you actually had to go out or ask friends and family if they knew anyone single, these days you can probably meet a ton of women online.

This is like the best of times to meet women, you literally have access to meet hundreds of women, you would never see in real life, through the internet or an app. Crazy.
Isn't that a situation, though, where "the odds are good, but the goods are odd"? It certainly seems to be for women looking for normal, psychologically healthy, stable men. IDK, I guess it's like anything else, though; a lot of weeding and sifting to be done? Then there are all the annoying bots and scammers. You don't encounter those when you're out participating in Meetups or activity groups, going to various events, and so on. I mean, what's the point in having an avalanche of (ostensibly) single people of the opposite sex at your proverbial fingertips, if the vast majority are sketchy for one reason or another? Is it really that good a deal as you describe? You sound like you're promoting someone's site, or something.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:40 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times
My dating days were long over before the internet was even here.

Several friends and even my sister got married to people they met online.
They all seem to be doing quite well and have a good 5-6 years under their belts.

I think it is a great venue for people that are not very religious or frequent bars, nightclubs and such.

I’ll admit when I first heard of this I didn’t think much of it but after seeing happy couples I think it fills in a large void nicely.

As with all of my expert dating advice (which I have zero of ) I recommend to just be yourself.
Good luck to you.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Isn't that a situation, though, where "the odds are good, but the goods are odd"? It certainly seems to be for women looking for normal, psychologically healthy, stable men. IDK, I guess it's like anything else, though; a lot of weeding and sifting to be done? Then there are all the annoying bots and scammers. You don't encounter those when you're out participating in Meetups or activity groups, going to various events, and so on. I mean, what's the point in having an avalanche of (ostensibly) single people of the opposite sex at your proverbial fingertips, if the vast majority are sketchy for one reason or another? Is it really that good a deal as you describe? You sound like you're promoting someone's site, or something.

I'm not promoting any website, if I was , wouldn't I have listed it in my response?

Furthermore, I am just telling the truth.

I know friends and family that met significant others due to the internet. If there was no internet, they would have never gotten married to that person.

The internet has changed the dating game and, sure, there are a lot of sketchy apps people use for hooking up and one night stands. There will always be men and women looking for one night stands and sex without any strings attached but that does not mean there aren't websites for people looking for a serious relationship/marriage.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
My dating days were long over before the internet was even here.

Several friends and even my sister got married to people they met online.
They all seem to be doing quite well and have a good 5-6 years under their belts.

I think it is a great venue for people that are not very religious or frequent bars, nightclubs and such.

I’ll admit when I first heard of this I didn’t think much of it but after seeing happy couples I think it fills in a large void nicely.

As with all of my expert dating advice (which I have zero of ) I recommend to just be yourself.
Good luck to you.

This. I feel like more people need to teach kids these things, rather than just leaving them clueless.

Sigh , I guess the Pythagorean theorem is more important haha.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:08 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
:d

Old 08-16-2021, 04:03 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
Quote:
Having gone through a fresh dating spell after many many years off the market, I can tell you that you need to do some due diligence and research, but the apps can be great.

All the women tell me that, yes, there are just as many flaky weird guys online as in real life, but just being able to put some basic filters in place, review some photos, and most importantly have text and video conversations before meeting gives you a huge step up over in-person meetups.

It also depends on who/what you're looking for - if you're a single parent over 40 (hello!) you don't have time or energy for endless bar nights and running clubs and whatever; being able to find other people like you who schedule their time outside the house very closely is really hard. My now-girlfriend and I sometimes only have 1 night / week where our custody and work schedules overlap - we live 10 miles apart but there's zero point zero percent chance we ever would have ended up in the same room together, let alone went on a date, without finding each other online.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:03 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Best bars or places in the Bay Area to meet older women?
Quote:
I am in my 30s but am looking to go to places where there are single women in their 40s and 50s.
If you're interested in women who are in their 40s/50s, I assume you have already met/dated/know (at least) a few. Why not ask them? Or, meet women elsewhere (and simply invite them out for a drink). Most of SF (downtown) is a younger/professional crowd.

That said, it's (far) more common to meet online (or through friends/interests/work) than going in blind, so to speak - unless you're that interested in meeting a woman in her 40s/50s who is still playing the 'meet a guy in a bar' game, which sounds incredibly unappealing in and of itself.

Quote:
Also, if you have any advice on how you can order drinks if you're not an alcoholic, let me know.
If you don't want alcohol, order a non-alcoholic drink. What advice do you need, lol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Everybody in Marin is old, but the bar/restaurant scene is not that great up there.
People who live in Marin want to be close to the City (but not live in it) i.e. about 40% of its population is adults under the age of 50. That said, it goes without saying SF is the place to be for quality nightlife, particularly by comparison.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 09-10-2021 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: added a quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland