Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2022, 11:55 AM

30 posts, read 24,587 times

Advertisements

https://www.kcra.com/amp/article/sea...t-not/39799526 1. How affected do you think we’ll be in, a year and a half from now? 2. How long will it take for us to be affected by those rising levels. 3. How screwed are we?? 4. If we’re screwed what are significant ways we will be screwed? Like rising food prices by how much??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 12:19 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Well, OP, fwiw, you're one of the smart ones, who's bothered to look into how your area would be affected. Hopefully, you did this before buying RE?

I think, that in a year and a half, you'll still be on dry land. But scientists are saying, that the process is outpacing their original estimates. IOW, the ice sheets and glaciers are melting faster than expected. You can look up sea level rise projection maps for the Bay Area & Sac River; they usually have a feature, where you can choose the timeline: 30 years out, 50 years, 100 years. Just the fact that the maps were originally organized in such increments, tells you they didn't think it was going to happen too fast. But they're now revising their estimates.

Buy on high ground. But when the Central Valley gets flooded, the water supply will be invaded by salt water. So...maybe pick a location in the Sierra foothills, instead of Modesto. But then you'll have to worry about fires.

BTW, the Bayside freeways and oceanside highways (think: the Great Highway on the west end of San Fran, or 101 on the edge of Humboldt Bay) will be underwater before state and federal authorities will be able to muster the funds to move/rebuild them. Humboldt Country already has been seeking federal funding to move 101 back from the Bay, because it's already experiencing flooding during high tides and storm surges.

Old 04-24-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, OP, fwiw, you're one of the smart ones, who's bothered to look into how your area would be affected. Hopefully, you did this before buying RE?

I think, that in a year and a half, you'll still be on dry land. But scientists are saying, that the process is outpacing their original estimates. IOW, the ice sheets and glaciers are melting faster than expected. You can look up sea level rise projection maps for the Bay Area & Sac River; they usually have a feature, where you can choose the timeline: 30 years out, 50 years, 100 years. Just the fact that the maps were originally organized in such increments, tells you they didn't think it was going to happen too fast. But they're now revising their estimates.

Buy on high ground. But when the Central Valley gets flooded, the water supply will be invaded by salt water. So...maybe pick a location in the Sierra foothills, instead of Modesto. But then you'll have to worry about fires.

BTW, the Bayside freeways and oceanside highways (think: the Great Highway on the west end of San Fran, or 101 on the edge of Humboldt Bay) will be underwater before state and federal authorities will be able to muster the funds to move/rebuild them. Humboldt Country already has been seeking federal funding to move 101 back from the Bay, because it's already experiencing flooding during high tides and storm surges.
Thanks for your time and professionalism despite some paranoia from me. I just want to continue enjoying the Bay Area and in a year and a half (if not mistaken) it sounds like I’ll still have it to enjoy.

Old 04-24-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Born92 View Post
Thanks for your time and professionalism despite some paranoia from me. I just want to continue enjoying the Bay Area and in a year and a half (if not mistaken) it sounds like I’ll still have it to enjoy.
Do you know where you might go, after the Bay? 2 yrs from now? Just curious.

Old 04-24-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Do you know where you might go, after the Bay? 2 yrs from now? Just curious.
I’ll still be in Modesto. Pardon my “hysteria” but you said YOU think I’LL be in dry land. Well, what about bay spots like Pacifica Taco Bell, pier 39? Don’t you think even in 2+ years they’ll still be visitable??

Old 04-24-2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Born92 View Post
I’ll still be in Modesto. Pardon my “hysteria” but you said YOU think I’LL be in dry land. Well, what about bay spots like Pacifica Taco Bell, pier 39? Don’t you think even in 2+ years they’ll still be visitable??
OP, you need to calm down, or you'll start freaking people out. Even me; this kind of thing can be contagious. But yes, of course they'll be visitable. Well IDK about Pacifica Taco Bell; I don't know where in Pacifica it's located. Is Taco Bell really that important? If it's near the edge of a cliff, well....I wouldn't hold my breath. But there are plenty of other special places around the Bay that are scenic hangouts. Keep exploring. have you been to the redwood park in the Oakland hills?

Old 04-24-2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
OP, you need to calm down, or you'll start freaking people out. Even me; this kind of thing can be contagious. But yes, of course they'll be visitable. Well IDK about Pacifica Taco Bell; I don't know where in Pacifica it's located. Is Taco Bell really that important? If it's near the edge of a cliff, well....I wouldn't hold my breath. But there are plenty of other special places around the Bay that are scenic hangouts. Keep exploring. have you been to the redwood park in the Oakland hills?
Um, the Pacifica Taco Bell is right next to the ocean. At least it sounds like pier 39 still sounds visitable for sure. Thank you for your time, and I genuinely apologize for sounding freaked out.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah funny that you asked bc I asked another question about trying to find a rubber boa there.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:58 PM

1,110 posts, read 672,159 times
Consider moving a block uphill and you'll be good for the next 30 or 40,000 years

Old 04-27-2022, 02:57 PM

653 posts, read 464,001 times
In the future, all restaurants will be Taco Bell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland