Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 08:45 AM

10 posts, read 26,175 times

Advertisements

I recently visited San Francisco and really enjoyed it. I can't get over how much better the climate seemed. My employer of 5 years in VA is nearly bankrupt and I've been thinking of making a major change in my life. If I was to just pick up and move to SF, are there jobs to be had for someone without a degree? (btw, option 2 is to go back to school) I have a little money saved up ~$8k, I have no children/wife, and no debt. Ideally I would hope to find a good starter job making at least $15/hr that would be flexible enough to start taking classes, rent a room (I've been looking on craigslist), spend a couple years there, get my degree and see where I am at that point. Thanks in advance for any advice and/or encouraging words.

- Jacob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 PM

109 posts, read 153,671 times
Wow, I don't know if $15/hour job will be enough to live in SF. Rent there is rediculously expensive and there is a state income tax in CA.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks vanbao, maybe I'm underestimating something but other than rent, I haven't seen anything price wise that really scared me. Is there something I'm not taking into consideration that I should be? Worst case I can always go back to work as an electrician but I'm hoping to be able to find something that would allow me to go back to school. If I did return to school full time, I could pay some expenses with my student loans, though I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj6879 View Post
Thanks vanbao, maybe I'm underestimating something but other than rent, I haven't seen anything price wise that really scared me. Is there something I'm not taking into consideration that I should be?
If you're going to be living in San Francisco proper:

$200-400/mo parking depending on neighborhood
$200+/mo car insurance
8.50% sales tax
Groceries 20-30% more expensive than eastern seaboard

The numbers might not stun you right away, but when you add up how much you would have to spend, and look at what you have left after that..

Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM

I've thought about going without a car. When I was there it seemed like you could go just about anywhere with little trouble using public transportation but I do tend to want to have the freedom of having a car. Do many people forgo vehicle ownership in SF?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj6879 View Post
I've thought about going without a car. When I was there it seemed like you could go just about anywhere with little trouble using public transportation but I do tend to want to have the freedom of having a car. Do many people forgo vehicle ownership in SF?
Not as many as you would think...

Where to find easy parking in San Francisco [Burbed.com]

Old 05-27-2008, 07:56 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,105 times
leaving your car is a great idea. there's absolutely no need to own a car in san francisco although many people do. it's less useful and more expensive than you think.

15/hr full time is about the bottom rung entry to SF. To be comfortable you need to be ready to pay $750/month for rent.

Don't be discouraged by the people whining about how it's "sooo expensive" here mostly those people don't live in SF and don't understand how to make changes in their life or sacrifice unnecessary expenses. Most people will tell you that it gets cheaper the 2nd and 3rd year you're living here because you learn how to live cheaper here.

Quite obviously everyone in the city of 800k does not earn 50k plus yadda yadda ya. To live some kind of tv-magazine fantasy life of SF yeah sure you're going to want to make more money but that's not how most folks live anyhow and the truth is most of those people are boring anyhow.

I'd say anyone with skills and 8k in the bank can live here and enjoy it if they want to. My main suggestion to anyone is to find a cheap place in a decent spot without a long-term commitment when you first get to town. It won't take long to learn your way around (especially if you're not working) and you'll see your options in terms of where to live, work, etc much clearer after you're here.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Thank you NorthernCalifornia for your response. Obviously I'd like to make a bit more than the 15/hr I mentioned but that's the number that I figure I'd have to at least be making to get buy, albeit on a very tight budget. I tend to lead a fairly simple lifestyle anyway so I don't think I would have much trouble doing that though I would most likely have to stop going out to lunch every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland