Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 06:23 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Err, OP's post said 4 stops. Did you read it?

And let's not forget, there are mountain ranges to cross to get there. 300 miles is probably for a dry lake bed.
I don't care that he said 4 stops. I care about the math. Care to comment on that and how it comes out to 4 stops? I'm guessing you probably don't have a logical rebuttal to that (but emojis are certainly fun ways to deflect). Way too many disingenuous comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 10:03 AM

653 posts, read 464,145 times
When we moved out of the City a couple of years ago, we became a 2-car household again and I seriously considered a Tesla. The charging infrastructure and range anxiety discouraged me, though.

I settled on the perfect compromise--a plug-in hybrid. Mine has a range of about 48 miles in pure EV mode, then switches to a standard gas/electric hybrid (39-43 mpg) after that. And it's a good sized SUV that seats 4-5, with good room.

A single charge will get me all the way to work on EV and I can charge there, for the ride home. I commute 0-1 time per week. Otherwise, there is adequate EV range to do all daily driving on no gas.

For a road trip, a full charge and a full tank of gas is good for about a 600 mile range... maybe 650 if I'm hyper-miling, which I like to do sometimes, involving switching between the battery and ICE/braking techniques/ cruise control/ etc.

EDIT: My plug-in hybrid also qualifies for the HOV lane at no charge and reduced bridge tolls ($3.50) for four more years and I got a $7500 tax credit last year for buying it.

Last edited by DeanoSF; 11-20-2022 at 10:11 AM..

Old 11-21-2022, 10:24 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I don't care that he said 4 stops. I care about the math. Care to comment on that and how it comes out to 4 stops? I'm guessing you probably don't have a logical rebuttal to that (but emojis are certainly fun ways to deflect). Way too many disingenuous comments.
A RWD Tesla model 3 for long trips (max range = 272 miles).

Yes since 2*272 miles > 500 miles that would indicate one stop. But an EV can't really be run under 10% because of danger of being stranded somewhere. Also filling up above 80% is time consuming as the cars automatically slow down at 80% to protect the battery

I got two stops instead of one stop by the following back of the envelope calculation
My back of the envelope calculations suggest that you could easily drive over 500 miles with two recharging stops. I figure your initial leg would go from fully charged down to 10% then the next two recharging periods you fill up to 80% and stop again when down to 10%.
244.8 mi 90%
190.4 mi 70% recharge stop 1
190.4 mi 70% recharge stop 2
625.6 mi
So clearly you didn't read my post about the 4 stops and ABRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
But I used a planning tool called "A Better Route Planner" which suggested that back of the envelope calculation was way too opimisic as many as 4 intermediate recharging stops on a 500 mile drive from San Francisco to San Diego. The software suggested stops at these intervals:
  • 149 mi recharge stop 1
  • 116 mi recharge stop 2
  • 81 mi recharge stop 3
  • 75 mi recharge stop 4
  • 83 mi final drive
  • 504 mi
  • San Francisco, CA, United States
  • Firebaugh, CA Supercharger [Tesla]
  • Bakersfield Supercharger [Tesla]
  • Castaic, CA Supercharger [Tesla]
  • Irvine, CA - Culver Drive Supercharger [Tesla]
  • San Diego, CA, United States
504 mile total driving range and 9 hours of driving time + charging time (53 minutes)

So which is more realistic? Two stops or Four stops to drive from San Francisco to San Diego?
I was looking for a response from someone who has actually done the trip.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
A RWD Tesla model 3 for long trips (max range = 272 miles).

Yes since 2*272 miles > 500 miles that would indicate one stop. But an EV can't really be run under 10% because of danger of being stranded somewhere. Also filling up above 80% is time consuming as the cars automatically slow down at 80% to protect the battery

I got two stops instead of one stop by the following back of the envelope calculation
My back of the envelope calculations suggest that you could easily drive over 500 miles with two recharging stops. I figure your initial leg would go from fully charged down to 10% then the next two recharging periods you fill up to 80% and stop again when down to 10%.
244.8 mi 90%
190.4 mi 70% recharge stop 1
190.4 mi 70% recharge stop 2
625.6 mi
So clearly you didn't read my post about the 4 stops and ABRP.

I was looking for a response from someone who has actually done the trip.
I read it and thought it was rather silly (I've also read many a post by people taking that trip and know of people that have gone from the Bay Area to Southern Cal....none have recharged like that). And I'm not even talking about running the car down as low as you claim. I think your claim is rather outrageous that you need any more than two charges to drive 500 miles assuming you start off with a full charge.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I think your claim is rather outrageous that you need any more than two charges to drive 500 miles assuming you start off with a full charge.
It wasn't my claim, it was a result of this ABRP software program that is being heavily promoted.

I said I personally calculated two stops where 272 miles is a full charge.

I figured 90% for the first leg and 70% for the second leg (pull in at around 10% and charge up to 80%). So 90%+70% = 160% and 160% * 272 = 435 miles which is insufficient to drive 500 miles by 65 miles. You might try and squeek out the last 65 miles by charging over 80% and running under 10% but it would be terribly risky.

So I figured two stops is necessary.

It is my question, for people who have actually done the drive, how many sops do ou make?

Old 11-21-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
It wasn't my claim, it was a result of this ABRP software program that is being heavily promoted.

I said I personally calculated two stops where 272 miles is a full charge.

I figured 90% for the first leg and 70% for the second leg (pull in at around 10% and charge up to 80%). So 90%+70% = 160% and 160% * 272 = 435 miles which is insufficient to drive 500 miles by 65 miles. You might try and squeek out the last 65 miles by charging over 80% and running under 10% but it would be terribly risky.

So I figured two stops is necessary.

It is my question, for people who have actually done the drive, how many sops do ou make?
Ok, fair enough. 2 sounds reasonable. I wouldn't use that software if that's what they're recommending. I doubt many would be incentivized to buy an electric car if it took them 4 charges just to drive 500 miles. I think Deano made the best suggestion and it's the path I'll be taking when I'm in the market for a new car (I'm pleased to get over 40 mpg with the hybrid I have now).

Old 11-21-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. 2 sounds reasonable. I wouldn't use that software if that's what they're recommending.
The Tesla website recommends 2 STOPS for recharging
San Francisco, CA
  1. Kettleman City, CA Supercharger 27675 Bernard Drive Kettleman City, California 93239 40 Superchargers, available 24/7 60 min charge - 209 miles
  2. Anaheim, CA - East Katella Avenue Supercharger 2404 East Katella Avenue Anaheim, California 92806 16 Superchargers, available 24/7 -205 miles
San Diego, CA, USA
Duration: 10 h (507 mi)

Old 11-23-2022, 11:47 AM

7,334 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Quote:
If you want someone to argue with, argue with OP. He made the 4-stop claim, not me.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If you want someone to argue with, argue with OP. He made the 4-stop claim, not me.
Had you read the last few posts, you would know that conversation took place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland