Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 04:02 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Well, I'm from the East Bay of San Fran. My dad worked in the city for 30 years. (Used BART every day)

I really am a travel writer and I live in Atlanta now.

I LOVE getting info. from the locals who are more upfront versus the public relations people who only give glowing info.

I don't understand why you act like I'm doing something wrong.

A.
I didn’t say or suggest you did anything wrong. My answer was to clarify the specific case issue that concerned you. And I added that you likely knew places around the Bay vary since you used to live here.

Hope you and your dad enjoy your visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 04:02 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
To
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You know, for us people who have been to SF many times over the years we question if today's city is the same as the place we last visited 5-10 years ago.

She's not asking anonymous posters on the internet. She's posting in the SF Forum asking locals whether it's safe for a tourist unfamiliar with todays city if it's smart to venture out.

Makes perfect sense.
Okay, she's asking anonymous posters on the SF forum... Is that better?

And being that we've only been gone a few years (and visit at least 3 to 4 times a year due to property we own in the Bay Area), I answered the question. I've never had an issue with a homeless person. I suspect there are some like me, and some that are not. Pretty much the type of answers you'll get so you'll have to figure out which one of these anonymous posters you want to trust.

Obviously it won't be myself or Tulemutt since we question why people stereotype the homeless or any crimes based on an isolated incident that clearly the OP did not drill down on even though she is so concerned about safety. Admittedly, if I was concerned about crime, I'd be looking at overall crime statistics and not focusing on an individual article or two of a specific incident.

Last edited by blameyourself; 04-27-2023 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-27-2023, 11:11 PM

629 posts, read 287,583 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I need your advice. I'm a travel write flying into SF so that I can write an article for a VA parent mag.

I'm staying at the local the Alton: 2700 Jones St, San Francisco, CA 94133.

I was planning to take two adult sons to Alcatraz. My kids lean more nerdish, nod body guardish.

We were going to walk the Golden Gate beginning on the Sausalito side.

Is this insane to go to SF. I can visit another part of CA, so I wouldn't call off the trip entirely.

This story came out yesterday and completely freaked me out:

"Prosecutors have alerted former San Francisco Fire Commissioner Don Carmignani they will be moving to dismiss charges in a brutal beating he suffered outside his mother's home in the city's Marina District earlier this month, according to his attorney."

So, there's terrible crime has become a new-normal in SF, and the authorities aren't prosecuting a pipe attack that put the fire chief into the hospital?

Yikes. If I stay in the Fisherman's Wharf are is it safe? I'd read that we only needed to wary of pickpockets?

I'd also love your thoughts on parking in Sausalito and walking the bridge from there.

What do you guys think?

A.
That’s a cute area of town and I don’t think you need to worry for your safety, aside from rampant property crime (theft, car break-ins, etc).

I’ve done Alcatraz twice, and it’s a really great outing: you get on the bay in a ferry, which in itself is fun, and the island is a fascinating slice of history. It’s rare to take such a close-up view of the inside of a federal prison. The tour gives you a glimpse of the life of prisoners and staff alike, which makes great food for thought on our incarceration practices. The island and prison grounds are on steep, rocky terrain, so be prepared for a cardio workout. It’s a perfect nerd trip.

Buy tickets in advance online, otherwise you might not get to go… it’s a popular destination.

Sausalito is very, very safe and charming, but parking is a nightmare. Be prepared to pay for it, too.

I’d take the ferry back from San Fran to Sausalito after your bridge walk and Alcatraz. I hope you are fit and your legs are strong! That itinerary is an hours-long proposition.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:03 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
I'm staying at the local the Alton: 2700 Jones St, San Francisco, CA 94133.
That is a very touristy location. The parking at that hotel is valet only and expensive. I would not bother with that location if I had a car but its better than staying in Union Square in 2023.

Quote:
So, there's terrible crime has become a new-normal in SF, and the authorities aren't prosecuting a pipe attack that put the fire chief into the hospital?
After tremendous public backlash they are now trying to charge the attacker.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/26/san-fr...ttack-charges/

Quote:
Yikes. If I stay in the Fisherman's Wharf are is it safe? I'd read that we only needed to wary of pickpockets?
The number one thing to worry about is car break-ins. Do not leave anything at all visible in your car. Do not leave your luggage in the trunk.

Also do not wear a Rolex watch or carry around a DSLR style camera. People with something expensive looking to steal are targeted.

The areas to avoid are Market St between 5th & Van Ness and the Tenderloin- especially Ellis and Eddy Streets. Even the good parts of Market St are getting questionable now in 2023. Today there was a shooting near Market and 4th right by an expensive mall.

https://abc7news.com/sf-shooting-mar...y-in/13191519/

Quote:
I'd also love your thoughts on parking in Sausalito and walking the bridge from there.
Walking the bridge is overrated. There are 6 lanes of traffic going 50 mph. It is too noisy and windy.

If I had visitors who wanted to walk the bridge I would park in the lot on Merchant Rd on the SF side. I would also include a visit to China Beach, the Legion of Honor, Lands End and Ocean Beach in that outing.

You can park here on a weekday morning. It will be full on weekends.

https://goo.gl/maps/SD1Qu8pvoL6jVWbd9

Quote:
Is this insane to go to SF. I can visit another part of CA, so I wouldn't call off the trip entirely.
If you want to visit a busy city where you can walk around and use public transit then you will like SF.

If you would like a quintessential California beach vacation you might be happier in San Diego

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I need your advice. I'm a travel write flying into SF so that I can write an article for a VA parent mag.
If you write about Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf it will be the same info that anyone could find in a twenty year old Fodor's travel guide.

I recommend checking out the many interesting neighborhoods where tourists rarely or never go.

Here are some suggestions to get started with.

Tank Hill

Golden Gate Park Botanical Garden

Inner Sunset Neighborhood

Clement St - Inner Richmond - the New Chinatown neighborhood. Check out the small dim sum shops & park easily on weekdays in the lot on 9th ave south of Clement.

Dolores Park, Mission Dolores, Bi-Rite Ice Cream and Castro St.

Pacifica Pier, Rockaway Beach and the oceanfront Taco Bell at Linda Mar Beach

Drive farther down the coast to see Pillar Point Harbor and Half Moon Bay.(weekdays only due to weekend traffic)

View the murals in Balmy Alley and get some Mexican food on 24th St.

Try Guatemalan food at Cafe Guatemalteco in the Excelsior neighborhood. This is a neighborhood with around 0% tourists. Its one of my favorite SF neighborhoods.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

A car is not needed in the tourist zone east of Van Ness Ave and north of Market St. I recommend public transit or walking to go to Chinatown, North Beach, the Ferry Building, Ghirardelli Sq and other tourist areas.

Battery Spencer is considered one of the best viewing points for the Golden Gate Bridge.

https://californiathroughmylens.com/...n-gate-bridge/

Good luck with your trip!

Old 04-28-2023, 05:51 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
If I had visitors who wanted to walk the bridge I would park in the lot on Merchant Rd on the SF side. I would also include a visit to China Beach, the Legion of Honor, Lands End and Ocean Beach in that outing.
Why China Beach? Aside from there being a small piece of history there, there's not much to look at. It's not scenic.

OP, are you making this trip purely as a vacation visit, or are you planning to do travel writing as well? That's not clear from your posts. For travel writing, I'd recommend little-known historical sites north of SF, but that's another topic.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:23 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
That’s a cute area of town and I don’t think you need to worry for your safety, aside from rampant property crime (theft, car break-ins, etc).

I’ve done Alcatraz twice, and it’s a really great outing: you get on the bay in a ferry, which in itself is fun, and the island is a fascinating slice of history. It’s rare to take such a close-up view of the inside of a federal prison. The tour gives you a glimpse of the life of prisoners and staff alike, which makes great food for thought on our incarceration practices. The island and prison grounds are on steep, rocky terrain, so be prepared for a cardio workout. It’s a perfect nerd trip.

Buy tickets in advance online, otherwise you might not get to go… it’s a popular destination.

Sausalito is very, very safe and charming, but parking is a nightmare. Be prepared to pay for it, too.

I’d take the ferry back from San Fran to Sausalito after your bridge walk and Alcatraz. I hope you are fit and your legs are strong! That itinerary is an hours-long proposition.
We toured Alcatraz on a dark stormy night. I loved it! But I’m a history geek.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:11 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why China Beach? Aside from there being a small piece of history there, there's not much to look at. It's not scenic.
Its just along the route from the Golden Gate Bridge through Seacliff to the Legion of Honor to Lands End to Ocean Beach. Its only a suggestion out of many different possibilities.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:40 AM

12 posts, read 11,425 times
It's a very long walk across the Golden Gate from Sausalito. You may want to rent a bike. Alcatraz is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland