Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 120,949 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated to the Bay area from Hawaii in Dec. 07 and have been patiently watching and waiting to buy as real estate prices in the Bay area have dropped significantly since we arrived. We're currently renting in Oakland hills and ready to buy. We have a great realtor and lender and have seen prices in many areas fall 150K since we arrived.

For our commute -- I work in SF and my husband works in downtown Oakland. Our combined income is around 160k, and we don't want to spend more than 500k on a home.

We don't have kids yet, but plan to in a few years so we want an area with decent schools and we need lots of space. Looking for 3-4 bedrooms/2.5 bathrooms with lots of square feet on a large lot.

In Hercules we've found nice homes off Refugio Valley Road for less than 500K with the size we're looking for. How is the commute? I've heard about the plans for new waterfront development/ferry service, but there's no BART to SF. Can anyone who has experienced the commute comment? Also, do you feel the area is a good value? I've heard mixed reviews but it seems like a beautiful area with lots of growth potential.

I've seen lots of listings in Pittsburg that fit our size desires, but from what I've read here Pittsburg may not be the area we want to be in. Although its further from SF/Oakland, the BART train is a direct trip. Are there any nice developments in Pittsburg we should consider?

Other suggestions for areas that might also be a good value?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 12:42 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
WestCAT runs an express bus from Hercules to El Cerrito del Norte BART, I was using it frequently at one point and it's a really, really good service that is reasonably priced. Alternately you could park and take an AC Transit Transbay bus to the SF Transbay Terminal at Mission & First.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:05 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaven808 View Post
My husband and I relocated to the Bay area from Hawaii in Dec. 07 and have been patiently watching and waiting to buy as real estate prices in the Bay area have dropped significantly since we arrived. We're currently renting in Oakland hills and ready to buy. We have a great realtor and lender and have seen prices in many areas fall 150K since we arrived.

For our commute -- I work in SF and my husband works in downtown Oakland. Our combined income is around 160k, and we don't want to spend more than 500k on a home.

We don't have kids yet, but plan to in a few years so we want an area with decent schools and we need lots of space. Looking for 3-4 bedrooms/2.5 bathrooms with lots of square feet on a large lot.

In Hercules we've found nice homes off Refugio Valley Road for less than 500K with the size we're looking for. How is the commute? I've heard about the plans for new waterfront development/ferry service, but there's no BART to SF. Can anyone who has experienced the commute comment? Also, do you feel the area is a good value? I've heard mixed reviews but it seems like a beautiful area with lots of growth potential.

I've seen lots of listings in Pittsburg that fit our size desires, but from what I've read here Pittsburg may not be the area we want to be in. Although its further from SF/Oakland, the BART train is a direct trip. Are there any nice developments in Pittsburg we should consider?

Other suggestions for areas that might also be a good value?

Thank you!!!
I live in a town very close to Hercules. If you or your spouse are planning to drive into Oakland, then you're in store for a terrible commute. However, WestCat has an express bus that leaves from the Hercules Transit Station and goes non-stop into El Cerrito del Norte and there is another express bus that goes from the Hercules Transit Station directly into SF ( I think it is called the WestCat Lynx). Both of these express buses only run during rush hour, however, not the entire day. The commuter train-the Capitol Route runs through Hercules on its way to Emeryville and Oakland, but doesn't stop although as you note there are plans to have it stop in Hercules as well as plans to have a ferry stop in town (not sure if this is the ferry from Vallejo that travels to SF).

There are a lot of houses for sale in Hercules including a lot of Foreclosures. In fact, there is a realtor in Hercules who specializes in foreclosure and runs some kind of foreclosure tour on a van that takes people around to visit houses in foreclosure. His name and contact information are: Victor Manrique Phone: 510-467-4911 Coldwell Banker Coon&McCreary. So there are bound to be some good deals.

If you like small-town living, Hercules is great. The town just built a new library which is very nice. They have a Farmer's Market on Saturday afternoons that runs from May through October, a town swimming pool and recreation program. And the people who live in the town seem satisfied and there appear to be lots of opportunities to be involved. The town has an elementary school, and a middle and high school on the same location. Although the schools are considered to be the best of those in the West Contra Costa School District, this particular district is seen by many not to be one of the best in the SF Bay Area.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 120,949 times
Thanks for the great advice!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,645 times
Hercules needs a BART as soon as possible. It will help the clean air movement, work and quality life to the hercules resident. We have been hearing this since a long time, but now the leaders need to make a commitment and act on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland