Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 AM

13 posts, read 120,861 times

Advertisements

We've spent lots of time in Antioch/Brentwood and love all of the new shopping developments and the big beautiful new homes in wonderfully kept communities.

We found a beautiful home on a great quiet court with a fabulous view and HUGE lot.

Thanks for everyone's advice and wonderful helpful information!

This forum and the people who post are a wonderful resource for newcomers to an area.
Attached Thumbnails
Antioch's a Bargain...but is it a good place to live?-1-2-.jpg   Antioch's a Bargain...but is it a good place to live?-1.jpg   Antioch's a Bargain...but is it a good place to live?-1-3-.jpg   Antioch's a Bargain...but is it a good place to live?-1-4-.jpg   Antioch's a Bargain...but is it a good place to live?-1-8-.jpg  

Antioch's a Bargain...but is it a good place to live?-1-9-.jpg   Antioch's a Bargain...but is it a good place to live?-1-14-.jpg   Antioch's a Bargain...but is it a good place to live?-1-15-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,086,443 times
Very nice! Now just get some green into that lawn and you're all set..

Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 PM

14 posts, read 45,022 times
Smile Antioch

No offense to Antioch/Brentwood/Oakley folks but you get what you pay for. The commute to the Bay Area from this area is to say the least.... brutle. There's a reason Pleasant Hill/WC area is 500K for a 1000sqft home: Location. If you work off hours the commute is do-able. Stay clear of Antioch schools i.e. Deer Valley. The crime brought in by the section 8 makes it a shame to pay Mello Roos. Brentwood is nicer but its future is unclear given the forclosure rate and section 8 plans. Many nice folks and young families, country values, cornfest. Nice place with big nice houses for cheap but there is a flipside...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 PM

104 posts, read 724,828 times
Awesome home! The good news is that when the market rebounds, your property will likely increase proportionately more than other communities. It is anticipated that East County may have a little more to depreciate, but IMO, it's a good investment.

I paid $106K in 1997 for my little 1100 sf home in Antioch. I sold it for four times that price seven years later. I think that 400% was a tidy little profit.

Here's a story of a local Brentwood kid.

Olympic dreams come to life for local swimmers

Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM

13 posts, read 120,861 times
Thanks! We're excited about the house and feel like we've been really blessed to step back into the California real estate market at this point. We bought the house for less than its original asking price in 2001 when it was brand new, and half of what it was worth in 2006 ($975K). So, for those who say cheap housing is such for a reason, you should know these homes were selling for 800-1.1M a few years ago. The reason for the excessive downturn is supply and demand coupled and extremely compounded by the foreclosure crisis.

Because Antioch in particular has experienced such a downturn due to the foreclosure crisis/subprime lending, once the market rebounds we'll be in a position to experience a much greater percentage of appreciation than if we had bought in another community. But, we're really not looking at it as an investment -- just a FABULOUS place to call home. We really just love the streets surrounding the house, the neighborhood, the quiet court it sits on, and the house.

I always do a ton of research before making a decision like this, and my husband and I have spent TONS of time in Antioch/Brentwood and faux commuted during rush hours to get a feel for it. Everyone has different values and ideals, but for us the only small downside is an extended commute in exchange for a FANTASTIC quality of life in every other area. I've spoken to many colleagues in SF who do the Antioch commute and say it’s more than worth it. I'd encourage anyone looking to buy right now to check out the nicer areas of Antioch/Brentwood. The market is super low right now but the inventory is dwindling and the prices won't last. Being new to the Bay area we listened to the nay-sayers for so long we never even visited Antioch until 6 months into our housing search. Now that I've seen all it has to offer I am VERY impressed. As with any city, there are great, good, and bad neighborhoods so it's important to find a realtor with integrity you trust who knows the great neighborhoods at various price points.

Thanks so much to everyone who took time to provide input and good luck to anyone reading this to make a decision for themselves!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:05 PM

104 posts, read 724,828 times
Gas prices are dragging down those values, too. I'm so excited for you. Although I hate to move, I just love buying homes! I'm considering buying a couple of homes in Antioch for my two older kids. It's like a sale I just can't pass up!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 39,091 times
Default read this Chronicle article

Black tenants accuse Antioch police of trying to drive them out

and read the readers' comments

i too considered Antioch, but cheap housing in the bay area has a price. i prefer better schools, safer city, better govt.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 25,435 times
mediamaven808 -- it sounds like you know what you're doing and will make the choice that is right for your family. I agree w/another poster -- I live in the older area of Antioch and have had no problems. We have older people who didn't sell and move to the newer part of the city. So there has been little turnover here. I believe that Antioch is an undiscovered secret in the Bay Area. We just had dinner at the water at Humphreys. Was the food great? It was ok, but we go for the view. Where else can you get to a body of water so quickly *and* have the sun beaming on you at the same time? It seems like your biggest issue is your commute. If you can live with that then Antioch may work out better than how you envision it. Oh -- there is also an express bus you can take from Hillcrest. If you do a search for the Tri Delta bus line, you can find info on the express bus to Pittsburg Bart. You park in the lot there and then get on the bus.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:51 PM

14 posts, read 45,022 times
I work in Brentwood and the Mcdonalds across the street has been robbed 6 times in 11 months. This is due to the proximity of Antioch. I guess it all depends on ones idea of what "safe" is....

Old 03-06-2009, 11:14 PM

16 posts, read 109,062 times
OMG so nice to hear some decent things about Antioch. =) We are probably moving there soon as work is in Lafayette and just want a quiet affordable place to raise our child and still be close-ish to family in Martinez/Phill/Lafayette. Thank u
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland