Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 PM

814 posts, read 669,980 times

Advertisements

IF you want to familiarize yourselves with West Oakland or any other Oakland areas this is what I suggest. Sit down with the crime map on the OPD site and on a friday and saturday night for about a month straight listen to the OPD police scanner (available free online sorry forget the site). You will learn real quick as to where the highest crime is. I've done it for a few years now for a piece of mind and can honestly say West Oakland has the highest crime just below East Oakland 60's-90's streets.

To note I rented a music studio in West Oakland off West Grand for a few years and witnessed many crimes. Sure you can lock your doors and mind your own business but do you want to be trapped in your home?

If you want an even more candid look on WO check out the movie Hood 2 Hood. It's a home made movie showcasing the gangsters all around the bay. One or two of the guys in the WO segment died by the time the flick aired last I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Listen to NorCal77, he speaks the truth. Unlike a lot of the "Oakland is safe and on the upswing" crowd, NorCal is someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

West Oakland is literally a war zone. Just 2 years ago, 124 people were killed in Oakland's streets. For comparisons sake, that amount is more than all the coalition soldiers who died in Iraq that same year.

If you're thinking of moving to West Oakland, you'll either be trapped in your own home with your hand literally on your gun everyday, or you'll be adding bullet proof panels to your car just so you can go to the grocery store.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 7,488 times
You are right but When on a big trip with a large group it can become very hard to keep everyone together. If your group is too big to fit in one vehicle it can become impossible. There is no way to keep everyone together if they are not in one vehicle.Say you are flying to a big city like San Francisco, you’ll need a way to keep everyone together. The best way to do this is by renting a van. There are plenty of van rental places in San Francisco and there are a few right at the airport. This makes for easy access and it starts the trip out on the right footing. This is a smart idea to save on the cost of renting more than one vehicle.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
Moved to SF from Louisiana a few years ago. Recently moved from Cole Valley to West Oakland to obtain a reasonable amount of square footage per dollar. Having grown up in (very dangerous) New Orleans I am here to tell you that, yes, West Oakland is somewhat dangerous. It also infinitely more interesting than San Francisco, an absurdly gentrified place where many people verbally espouse diversity and integration having never experienced true culture clashes with a neighbor. Am I more worldly because I have lived in fear of my life before?
Goddamn right.
The more pretentious of the California liberals crack me up.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:29 PM

314 posts, read 486,868 times
I would take West Oakland over Deep East (would live in Fruitvale, but thats not DE). Deep East has the most crime. Still West Oakland is and was built on spec. Would choose many other neighborhoods over it.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:49 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
I think the biggest problem is that West Oakland is just isolated. Yes, there's a BART stop, but it's disconnected from Downtown by Highway 24 (similar to how other highways have worsened poverty by cutting off neighborhoods) and even that stop is out of the way. Not sure if the spillover effect will happen.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I think the biggest problem is that West Oakland is just isolated. Yes, there's a BART stop, but it's disconnected from Downtown by Highway 24 (similar to how other highways have worsened poverty by cutting off neighborhoods) and even that stop is out of the way. Not sure if the spillover effect will happen.
The newly-established gentry, using their newfound hubris as moneyed NIMBY's, will demand the removal of the freeway. Not that it ever works, but it's happened before (L.A.).

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The newly-established gentry, using their newfound hubris as moneyed NIMBY's, will demand the removal of the freeway. Not that it ever works, but it's happened before (L.A.).
i doubt west oakland can be truly gentrified because of the recycling center that attracts hordes of tweakers and marginal people wheeling their stolen grocery carts full of recyclables down the street.

the C3PO statue is cool though.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
i doubt west oakland can be truly gentrified because of the recycling center that attracts hordes of tweakers and marginal people wheeling their stolen grocery carts full of recyclables down the street.
NIMBYs won't stand for that, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland