U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM

37 posts, read 78,971 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am getting closer to the moving date... traveling to San Francisco for another apartment hunting trip soon.

It isn't my first time living in SF area, but has been a number of years.

Decisions ... decisions ... I am really torn about where to live.
Commute is not a factor in this, by the way.

I think my budget can handle much of what I've seen advertised for a 1+ or 2 BR place... bearing in mind I am not in the market for a "luxury" residence at this stage of life ... I am looking for a simple, logical layout in the apartment, sunniness with a view is a plus, but can be traded for other niceties like a garden and/or convenient access to same.

And as long as I am describing my dream place, living in a neighborhood where I can walk around and run into neighbors at the corner coffee shop would be most pleasant.

No mini-kitchens, or dungeon in-laws, or after-thought attic "cottages". Low ceilings could possibly make me scream, and that would be disruptive to the neighbors...

I am happily nuts about the architecture in the city, can spend hours walking around looking at everything people have done to these wonderful buildings ... so, San Francisco makes sense, right? Then I'd have to factor in additional for parking... but I don't want to drive my car except to my parents' place in south bay once in a while.

I also like being able to walk/bus to run errands, am not sure how convenient those locations are on the peninsula, and it isn't like I'd want to live right on El Camino Real.

The peninsula has lots of pluses for me too, I like to hike and access to the trails is convenient if I can get a place not far from 280. But I don't know very much about the flavor of all the communities between SF and SJ. I do not have to drive to any tech companies during commute hours, nor do I want to live right on those commute routes. Redwood City was recommended to me by a friend, but nothing specific, she said try looking for something up toward Woodside, that it had a nice nature feel to it.

Then there is the east bay, once lived there too ... was in Oakland at the time of the fire (thank goodness the fire stopped short of our neighborhood). There was more sun than in San Francisco, which was nice, and I loved the Rockridge, Grand-Lake, Glenview and Montclair Village, and could see myself living there again, but am a little concerned about whether things I've heard about recent rising crime in Oakland would be a factor.

North Berkeley, maybe? Or too many students? I like kids, but I've raised them and now would rather not live in a party building (as in, I am not looking for a 420 friendly place). Been there, done that, long, long, long time -- and many brain cells -- ago.

If anybody has any constructive feedback for me that would help me narrow my search?... life circumstances have been overwhelming, ready to move to next chapter in a new place of my own.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 07:48 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times
What about the town of Alameda? I'm not that familiar with it, but people who live there always rave about it (including my cousin & his wife)... it's a quaint little community with Victorian houses like SF, and is very convenient to the East Bay & city. Just a thought! Within the city's limits I'd suggest Bernal Heights, Sunset, inner Richmond, Glen Park, and Noe Valley if you can afford it. On the Peninsula check out Burlingame, Pacifica, Millbrae, Brisbane, and San Carlos. Good luck, and let me know if you'd like more info on these places.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM

37 posts, read 78,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
.... On the Peninsula check out Burlingame, Pacifica, Millbrae, Brisbane, and San Carlos. Good luck, and let me know if you'd like more info on these places.
Yes, please, tell me more about these towns ... after reading some of the other threads, makes sense to live here and take the train into the city when I want the SF experience ... since I do better having more sun in my life. Also, this will be more convenient for visitng my folks.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM

21 posts, read 108,734 times
The Peninsula would be my choice. Easy train ride or drive to SF, great weather and lots of good communities to choose from. San Carlos and Burlingame have great downtown areas -- cools shops, and yes...lots of coffee houses. One of the best features? You're only 15 mins from the ocean.

Hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland