Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:55 AM

226 posts, read 1,125,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N CA View Post
Your argument is flawed in that the Newsweek article bases their rankings on the number of AP tests taken divided by the number of graduating seniors. Passing scores are not relevant to the Newsweek list, so a high school that encourages test taking will score higher with no consideration given to student scores.
Upon close observation of the chart, there is a section named "E&E" which stands for "Equality and Excellence", according to the article. The values under this column list the percentages of graduating seniors who have passed at least one exam.

Alameda has a higher percentage rate of seniors who have passed exams in AP/IB/Cambridge than Las Lomas, but lower than Acalanes, with Miramonte surpassing all. This reflects the order of the ranks.

Quote:
Las Lomas rates a 10/10, Alameda a 9/10. We can all agree that Acalanes exceed both schools. Neither Castro Valley nor Alameda High Schools are considered the top of the heap schools, but you can get a decent education if you perform well.

APIs: Alameda High - 798, Las Lomas - 840, Acalanes - 893. Both Las Lomas and Acalanes had positive growth in 2007. Alameda High had negative growth as the school did not meet it's performance benchmarks.
Okay, so Las Lomas and Acalanes is in the top 10% of California's high schools, and Alameda High is in the top 20%. Does that really make a difference in the success of a student? I think not, especially if that means a tripled commute travel time (quadrupled in traffic by car), not to mention stress. With the time saved from commuting, one can help his/her child on schoolwork to make up for the slight "lack of rank" of a school.

When adolescents are left unsupervised, or if they spent less time with their commuting parents, they will find attention elsewhere, even when attending a top-notch high school and living in an affluent neighborhood: frontline: the lost children of rockdale county

Quote:
There are homes listed for $750K in 5 Canyons. I only mentioned that area because I'm familiar with it as my friend lives there. Clean, clean, clean. Shopping at Stoneridge vs. shopping at.....if you live in Alameda.
From Alameda, one can shop and eat in San Francisco by ferry, Emeryville, Alameda Towne Centre, Park Street, Webster Street, Marina Village, Mariner's Square, and the brand-new Bridgeside. Of course, living in Alameda, one could still visit Stoneridge AND Bayfair AND Southland, but it will be farther than the other places mentioned above when compared to Castro Valley. However, living in Castro Valley, one will be farther from San Francisco and Emeryville, which offer ALOT more than all of the commerce and culture surrounding Castro Valley combined.

Quote:
Do I hear an echo? I did mention that the Caldecott was not a good commute by vehicle. By BART, it's OK. The problem is that if you want top-notch schools in Alameda County, you're looking at Piedmont or Pleasanton (or Fremont perhaps?). Piedmont is way out of reach pricewise for most people. Pleasanton is a little further than Castro Valley, but it's certainly a viable option. It's accessible to BART. You're just not going to find 10/10 schools in most of Alameda County. IMO, Castro Valley offers a good location, good commute, reasonable housing prices, and OK schools. Alameda will give you most of the same, but pricier housing for good areas.
A commute that is almost 40 minutes from Walnut Creek to San Leandro that DOES NOT include getting to and from the station to home or the place of employment is not okay when one has the means to buy a desirable home closer to work that would allow a close-to-similar living standard.

Once again, I would not call Alameda or Castro Valley schools "OK", they are more than that. "OK" is not Alameda or Castro Valley. There are more than just a few schools that perform at the level of Walnut Creek's sought after schools.

Quote:
You can compare homes on movoto.com. I personally prefer the island to Bay Farm. My former sister-in-law used to live on Fernside. Lovely bungalows. Before Fernside, she lived in a converted Victorian on San Jose (I think). I love that area, but she sent her daughter to St. Joe's. Most folks I know in Alameda send their kids to O'Dowd. Bay Farm is super-tract. Castro Valley is not the super-master-planned community.
There is currently one home in Fernside that is going for $699K, 2000 square feet of living space, 4000 square feet homesite, with a decent driveway and decent-sized yards.

Quote:
When I looked the other day, there were some 5 Canyon properties under $700K, but I imagine they go pretty quickly. There is one listing for $750K. Other areas to look at are near Proctor, Jensen and Palomares.
I would add Independent to the list, which serves more than just Five Canyons. Keep in mind that living in this area requires the use of highways, and thus traffic, to get to San Leandro as using local roads would make the commute long. Once again, BART will only be possible if the place of work is near BART.

Quote:
Crime stats.

LAFAYETTE, California
Crime Index 206
Population 24,990
Murders 0
Rapes 0
Robberies 15
Assaults 7
Burglaries 119
Thefts 317
Motor Vehicles Thefts 57
Arsons N/A

ALAMEDA, California
Crime Index 300
Population 71,212
Murders 2
Rapes 7
Robberies 81
Assaults 131
Burglaries 323
Thefts 1,297
Motor Vehicles Thefts 292
Arsons N/A

WALNUT CREEK, California
Crime Index 399
Population 64,774
Murders 0
Rapes 3
Robberies 41
Assaults 69
Burglaries 438
Thefts 1,773
Motor Vehicles Thefts 258
Arsons N/A
This is from 2006. Crime rates and trends change from year to year. In general, all three of the above cities are safe in recent times, showing consistency.

Quote:
I looked at returning to Alameda County, but I could get much more in Contra Costa. I live in a neighborhood with three private parks, three private pools, other amenities, and my kids attend all 10/10 schools. Our worse crime problems are kids vandalizing (smashing) car windows and having kids on our HOA common areas after curfew. My commute door-to-door to downtown Oakland is 45 minutes. You can buy a 2,000+ sf, 4/2.5 home here in perfect shape for under $700K.
If there are such homes, then there are not very many. I don't see any such home in the MLS Listing as of this post. Maybe some REO's, FSBO's, and some NTS's might fit that description, as of this post?

Where I lived in Alameda, I have never heard or witnessed such vandalism to automobiles. I have never heard of such things from acquaintances of mine living in Castro Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:08 AM

104 posts, read 725,657 times
But, Alameda High has the fewest number of students passing the CAHSEE. Alameda's pass rate is under 90% with the English portion at only 85%. Even for Whites only, AHS's pass rate is lower. That would be a concern for me. 15% of 2007 AHS graduates didn't receive a diploma.

Reread my earlier post. It did state that the poster might want diversity over test scores. I told the OP to better define what they were looking for in a home (i.e., school scores, max price).

I don't think that Alameda High is terrible, but academically, to imply that it is as high performing as Las Lomas much less Campo, Acalanes, or Miramonte, is not accurate.

There are three Concord neighborhoods that attend Walnut Creek schools. You can find a home between $500-$700K in the 1400 - 2000 sf range. Concord is a high-crime city, but the boundaries of that crime seems to be strictly drawn and doesn't reach my area. I have zero sex offenders in my neighborhood. I've lived here four years, and I've never seen it encroach into my area. But, I lived in San Leandro between 1965 and 1997 (I graduated from Pacific High), and I never had a problem there either. I wouldn't move back there, though.

I've never desired Bay Farm because of it's proximity to the airport, etc., and I'd still be leary because that very bad area of Oakland is only a few miles away. Why expose yourself when you can get a bigger in a comparable school district for less money?

If you don't mind a little further commute, there are deals to be had in San Ramon. They've suffered from the economic downturn, and there are plenty of distressed properties there.

IMO, Bay Farm is probably comparable to 5 Canyons, except 5 Canyons has newer homes. There are only three homes for sale under $700K in Bay Farm are under 1300 sf, and two of those are 2 bedroom homes.

The only three-bedroom homes on the island under $700K seem to be on Central Ave or on the west end. Most of the homes under $700K are under 1500 sf. There's a 3000 sf 5 Canyons home listed for $725K. You can find tons of CV homes in the $650K - $700K range that are 1800+ square feet. You're not going to find that anywhere in Alameda.

Are the school scores that important? They can be. I have lots of friends who lived in Alameda, but they moved once they had kids. One moved to Walnut Creek. It's all about what you value in a school. I have seen Piedmont parents hold their kids back because, even though they're performing above grade level, they're not performing at the level of their peers. There are parents who transfer their kids to a lower-performing high school so that they'll be in the top 4% or top 10%, which means they get into more selective universities. I could go on.

I get the need for diversity. My two older children are second generation Mexican-Americans. Their dad is from East Oakland. My two younger children are minorities, too. I, like many parents, have to decide between education and diversity. Fortunately, I have the best of of both worlds. My kids elementary is diverse, yet a 10/10 school. Are the elementary school academics important to me? As my 8-year-old started working on the equivalent of Intro to Algebra last year, I would have to say, yes. And, will the all-white schools ever become diverse if no minorities attend those schools?

I said that Alameda was OK, but you could get more bang for your buck in other communities. My POINT was that you can get more house for your money in other comparable communities, and I stand by that. Perhaps the OP would like to see all of those 1800+ sf, 4/2+ homes for under $700K in Alameda that attend the highest-rated schools in the city.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:17 PM

31 posts, read 102,731 times
Pleasanton is a safe beautiful community.
It has two excellent high schools.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:41 PM

226 posts, read 1,125,984 times
Quote:
But, Alameda High has the fewest number of students passing the CAHSEE. Alameda's pass rate is under 90% with the English portion at only 85%. Even for Whites only, AHS's pass rate is lower. That would be a concern for me. 15% of 2007 AHS graduates didn't receive a diploma.
This argument is also flawed, as the statistics collected on CAHSEE is based on 10TH GRADERS who take the CAHSEE for the FIRST TIME. Those who do not pass on the first try continue to receive multiple opportunities to take the CAHSEE in 11th and 12th grades. The CAHSEE is not a one-time administration, and a failed administration in 10th grade DOES NOT MEAN that 15% of the 2008-2009 senior class will not graduate.

Alameda High receives a higher number of students where English is a second language, especially in the 9th and 10th grade levels, as compared to Las Lomas High and Acalanes High, contributing to its diversity. Immigrants not only come from Asia, Africa, or Central and South America, but also from Europe, who would otherwise be counted as "White, not of Hispanic origin". For the average person, it takes more than one or two years to become fluent with a foreign language.

Alameda also does not have "the fewest number of students passing the CAHSEE" in general. It is only so when compared to high schools in neighborhoods where the majority is "White, not of Hispanic origin" who are both affluent and naturalized citizens, or at least residents who have resided in the United States for more than, say, one or two years.

Quote:
Reread my earlier post. It did state that the poster might want diversity over test scores. I told the OP to better define what they were looking for in a home (i.e., school scores, max price).
Yes, I am aware of this. Here is the criteria that I know so far:

-$700,000 is the maximum
-Accessibility to diversity is preferable for occupation
-Shortest commute to San Leandro without sacrificing for the quality of schools, one hour is okay
-Cooler weather for 80-year old elderly parent, hotter weather an issue for the elderly parent
-Preference for a smaller, updated home over a an older one

From my perspective, Castro Valley and Alameda seem to fit that description, especially since Lafayette and Walnut Creek are 40-45 minutes away when compare to the 10-15 minutes travel time from Alameda and Castro Valley to San Leandro. Not to mention the stress of being in traffic going to San Leandro from Lafayette and Walnut Creek. Chances are using BART could make the commute even longer when including the time it takes to get to and from the station and the place of work, as well as home. However, I do not know how far the place of employment of the original poster's husband is from a BART station.

Besides, doesn't Walnut Creek and Concord experience hotter, drier weather more often?

Quote:
I don't think that Alameda High is terrible, but academically, to imply that it is as high performing as Las Lomas much less Campo, Acalanes, or Miramonte, is not accurate.
I am not trying to say that Alameda High and Castro Valley are as highly performing Acalanes Union High Schools, but when considering the much longer commute, it is just not worth the slightly extra "edge". If, say, Alcalanes Union High Schools were the only good high schools around, then commuting is a good idea, without a doubt.

Quote:
There are three Concord neighborhoods that attend Walnut Creek schools. You can find a home between $500-$700K in the 1400 - 2000 sf range. Concord is a high-crime city, but the boundaries of that crime seems to be strictly drawn and doesn't reach my area. I have zero sex offenders in my neighborhood. I've lived here four years, and I've never seen it encroach into my area. But, I lived in San Leandro between 1965 and 1997 (I graduated from Pacific High), and I never had a problem there either. I wouldn't move back there, though.

I've never desired Bay Farm because of it's proximity to the airport, etc., and I'd still be leary because that very bad area of Oakland is only a few miles away. Why expose yourself when you can get a bigger in a comparable school district for less money?
Well, like your place of residence, the crime is also contained in one area and set away from Bay Farm Island AND East End Alameda (Fernside).

The airport is not an issue, as the major runways are pointed away from the area. Homes are FAR FROM the runways, further separated by the Harbor Bay Business Park.

Quote:
If you don't mind a little further commute, there are deals to be had in San Ramon. They've suffered from the economic downturn, and there are plenty of distressed properties there.

IMO, Bay Farm is probably comparable to 5 Canyons, except 5 Canyons has newer homes. There are only three homes for sale under $700K in Bay Farm are under 1300 sf, and two of those are 2 bedroom homes.

The only three-bedroom homes on the island under $700K seem to be on Central Ave or on the west end. Most of the homes under $700K are under 1500 sf. There's a 3000 sf 5 Canyons home listed for $725K. You can find tons of CV homes in the $650K - $700K range that are 1800+ square feet. You're not going to find that anywhere in Alameda.
As of the date of this post, only six of the homes in Castro Valley that match your description that are on the MLS are zoned to elementary schools with an API of 900 and above.

As of the date of this post, there are two homes in Bay Farm for sale that are under $700K. Both have three bedrooms and two bathrooms. One is a 1,260 square feet home on a 6,300 square foot homesite, the other a 1,600 square feet home on a 5,500 square feet homesite, across the street from a park and the golf course. Both are well appointed, with stainless steel appliances and granite countertops. This shows that homebuyers can get a good deal even in Alameda.

There are three bedroom homes all over Alameda, including the East End and Bay Farm, that have been on the market for the past several weeks.

There is nothing wrong with living on Central Avenue. The dividing line for the high schools is Union Street and Park Street for attendance at Lincoln Middle, which performs very, very close to the level of Walnut Creek Intermediate School, with a difference of only 13 points out of 1000 on the API.

Quote:
Are the school scores that important? They can be. I have lots of friends who lived in Alameda, but they moved once they had kids. One moved to Walnut Creek. It's all about what you value in a school. I have seen Piedmont parents hold their kids back because, even though they're performing above grade level, they're not performing at the level of their peers. There are parents who transfer their kids to a lower-performing high school so that they'll be in the top 4% or top 10%, which means they get into more selective universities. I could go on.

I get the need for diversity. My two older children are second generation Mexican-Americans. Their dad is from East Oakland. My two younger children are minorities, too. I, like many parents, have to decide between education and diversity. Fortunately, I have the best of of both worlds. My kids elementary is diverse, yet a 10/10 school. Are the elementary school academics important to me? As my 8-year-old started working on the equivalent of Intro to Algebra last year, I would have to say, yes. And, will the all-white schools ever become diverse if no minorities attend those schools?.
If you said Algebra I, I would have been impressed.

"Intro to Algebra" includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division that all California students learn at 8 years of age, or at least all mainstream students in Alameda and Castro Valley.

Quote:
I said that Alameda was OK, but you could get more bang for your buck in other communities. My POINT was that you can get more house for your money in other comparable communities, and I stand by that. Perhaps the OP would like to see all of those 1800+ sf, 4/2+ homes for under $700K in Alameda that attend the highest-rated schools in the city.
Perhaps the original poster, would like to see the same for Lafayette, Walnut Creek, and Concord, complete with pictures, addresses, listing price, MLS, and specifics such as bedrooms, bathrooms, living area square footage, homesite size, etc.?

Last edited by tennis368fan; 07-06-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Actually, by the first reporting period in first grade, he had mastered all of the basic operations: Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and dynamic operations (carrying and borrowing). By the end of first grade, he had mastered the properties of operations: Commutative, Associative, and Distributive. By the middle of second grade, he had mastered fractions: Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. He mastered simplifying and working with mixed numbers/fractions by the end of second grade. He started working with variables around the middle of second grade, and by the end of second grade, he could solve a problem using the distributive property and one variable. I honestly don't know what grade level he's at, but I think it's slightly beyond second grade.

I believe that the element that exists at his current school that might not exist at a lower-performing school is the peer element. Many of his peers have similar abilities, and IMO, this contributes to his drive. He's also in a class with 1/2/3 year students. Sort of like tennis....you improve when you're slightly outmatched, yes?

I don't have anything against Alameda or Castro Valley. I think that those districts are fine. We ended up here because the housing was relatively inexpensive especially consider the schools we attend.

Interesting logic. A school with a CAHSEE pass score of 85% is comparable to a school with a pass score of 98%. Kinda makes you wonder why they report those numbers since they have no real value.

I don't have a problem saying that there are plenty of schools that are 'better' than ours. I wouldn't jump from Northgate to Las Lomas, but IMO, Lamorinda schools are superior. They have higher test scores, better educated parents, and more affluent communities (which mean more money for the schools through school foundations).

If the OP is interested, I'm sure anyone here would be happy to assist with finding a community that meets her needs. The best way is for the OP to make a list and prioritize her requirements and desires. To reiterate, diversity may take priority over school test scores for some folks. It's about each parent's definition of a 'good school.'

Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 PM

matiy,

Yes, Pleasanton has excellent schools. San Ramon, too.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
Default Help! Hubby will be working in San Leandro...

I have read the replies and they are pretty accurate. I actually live in San Lorenzo and we love our neighbors. There are nice tree lined streets. However the homes are very modest. We stay here to afford a private school education in Alameda. But as soon our children are able to apply for 5th grade at Kipp Summit Academy we will! San Lorenzo is the only town to have a Kipp High School. A college prep edu. in thie bay can range for 19,000-23,000 and its free at Kipp! We are under invested and according to demo's we are in the top 3% as far as income goes in San Lorenzo. We would eventually like to move into a larger home. We often look at Alameda, Castro Valley, San Ramon etc. If you are an Artist you'd love Alameda! It is an Artist community. The Park Street shops are getting
better too. Castro Valley Parsons Estates is really nice. A great, safe place to raise your girl. The High School has undergone major improvments. Hopes this helps.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:17 PM

103 posts, read 366,973 times
Take the little tards to the zoo. They will learn more there. Ripley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland