Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfung View Post
Vivid and three block radius.
Three-block radius? Doesn't that add up to six blocks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM

304 posts, read 904,724 times
yea well i wasnt comparing the nightlife to SF, i was simply saying that it exists in SJ

Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 AM

218 posts, read 437,842 times
It's always funny to watch the fur fly when someone from San Francisco takes a cheap shot at San Jose.

After living in the bay area for so long, you get used to the idea that San Francisco is "the city." Having lived in the New York proximity the past two years, San Francisco is a burg by comparison.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 AM

43 posts, read 132,174 times
actually - someone was saying its a "great" nightlife. I would beg to differ. But maybe our tastes are different. And, yes, it's all a matter of perspective. We call it the bay area, which is hardly the only "bay area" in the US.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 AM

304 posts, read 904,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
If you want very low crime, clean neighborhoods,sunniest/warmest climate in the Bay,excellent schools,job ops, and little more affordable than SF(due to sheer size and space) ...move to SJ

I went to SJSU btw

Ok there since everyone has an opinion on nightlife I took it out.

Now you have five positives to live in SJ.

I kinda feel for the "little guy" (I say this with sarcasm as SJ is much larger, and more populous than SF).

It gets a bad rap alot of times just because its NOT SF, and thats what makes it appealing to alot of folks. Don't get me wrong , I love The City as much as anyone , but to say SJ is "boring" just because it doesnt match up to its little brother to the north in an "urban" sense is kinda strange. The diversity in the South Bay is great as well, I forgot to add

Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Eventually we'll learn to coexist and be as loving as we've always claimed to be.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
It gets a bad rap alot of times just because its NOT SF, and thats what makes it appealing to alot of folks. Don't get me wrong , I love The City as much as anyone , but to say SJ is "boring" just because it doesnt match up to its little brother to the north in an "urban" sense is kinda strange. The diversity in the South Bay is great as well, I forgot to add
I would really be curious in what sense a suburban space would be more exciting/non boring compared to an urban one. I can't fathom how this would be.

As far as 'diverse' I would probably argue that as well. Comparatively speaking, of course.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 PM

218 posts, read 437,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfung View Post
I would really be curious in what sense a suburban space would be more exciting/non boring compared to an urban one. I can't fathom how this would be.

As far as 'diverse' I would probably argue that as well. Comparatively speaking, of course.

As you mature, what constitutes "fun" has a way of changing. At some point, most people grow up and stop hanging out in clubs.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 PM

137 posts, read 542,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
As you mature, what constitutes "fun" has a way of changing. At some point, most people grow up and stop hanging out in clubs.
So true. I still like going out dancing once in while, but I find the club scene to be a bit pretentious. I guess I like dinner parties and outdoors stuff better.

There's different kinds of fun, and you do not need to live in a city full of clubs and bars to "have fun".

Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 PM

I would wholeheartedly agree tastes change with age and lifestyles.

But even then, going back to the comparative aspect of things, SF would still be hard pressed to somehow be more 'boring' than a suburban space, whether you like jazz clubs, museums or other 'adult stuff' (and I suppose that would include the Power Exchange, ha ha!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland