Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
That's an over simplification. SF and NY have no room to expand whereas Dallas an San Diego do. While it's true that price is all about supply and demand, demand is not based entirely on quality. If that were the case, Wal-Mart wouldn't exist. Wal-Mart stock is worth considerably more than LL Bean but you'd have a tough time convincing anyone that Wally-world offers better quality merchandise.
San Francisco could still do some building around Tunnel Road (and they are), and practically the whole 280 corridor between San Mateo and Palo Alto is wasted.

What we need is some leadership that won't promote job growth without housing growth. You say Roche wants to relocate here with Genentech? Great - have them build some housing around Oyster Point. That open waterfront plot between 101, Oyster Point, and Veterans should do quite nicely. That way rents and purchase prices won't go up every time some big conglomerate decides to expand operations, and the companies won't have to offer ever higher salaries to keep up with the cost of living in the areas they're interested in. It's a win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Wal-Mart stock is worth considerably more than LL Bean but you'd have a tough time convincing anyone that Wally-world offers better quality merchandise.

Walmart has everything including really good stuff. LL Bean is mainly a clothes and camping store.

On the few items they stock together Walmart is much cheaper. Take your pick,$299 at LL Bean or $229 at Walmart. This is why Walmart stock is up a lot this year when the rest of the market is down.

Garmin eTrex $229

Garmin eTrex $299

Last edited by capoeira; 07-23-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
Which parts of SF has the physical beauty that you talk about? I wanna go there.
Try going to Tank Hill for a great view of the city. It is easier to get to by car. If going by public transit take the N train to Stanyan(2nd stop after the second tunnel). Walk south on Stanyan to Belgrave. There are some steps leading up to Tank Hill on Belgrave. Tank Hill was selected as having the best views in SF.

Tank Hill

Tank Hill - San Francisco, CA

Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 PM

7 posts, read 22,150 times
S.F. is a great city, but it is indeed overpriced. I'm reminded of this every time I freeze my arse off in the middle of July.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Have any of you looked at the Rincon Hill Condo's they built by the bridge. The prices are a joke. 1.5 Million for 1200 square feet is called "A Bargain Deal" by the developer trying to sell a specific unit. All the new developments in SF are un-affordable for the average person.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
S.F. is a great city, but it is indeed overpriced. I'm reminded of this every time I freeze my arse off in the middle of July.
Just yesterday I was thinking how fundamentally wrong it was for me to be wearing a jacket.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Have any of you looked at the Rincon Hill Condo's they built by the bridge. The prices are a joke. 1.5 Million for 1200 square feet is called "A Bargain Deal" by the developer trying to sell a specific unit. All the new developments in SF are un-affordable for the average person.
SF is unaffordable, period. If you want to live there as an average person, you have three options: 1) room with someone until you can afford the rent by yourself, then kick them out, 2) lie about your income, pray they don't ask for proof, and hang on for dear life, or 3) own an apartment building or successful business somewhere and have it pay your mortgage.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
I guess I am too much of a suburbia person

I like the cleanliness of sterile suburbia and prefer it to the City.

Also, suburbs are cheaper to live in.

Although, I might change my mind after living here for a while.
Er, why not stay in the suburbs?

I personally can't stand suburbia(even tho I live in one-LOL) for a host of reasons but dont fault people for wanting to live there...its all relative to an individual's personal taste.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,070 times
I must agree with the OP about not being terribly impressed. I chose to come to SF for a great job and because I had visited the city in prior occasions. I had a different impression of the city before living here. I’ve been living here for 10 months and I am now looking for reasons to love the city but can’t seem to find too many of them. Mind you, I am a city brat; I enjoy big cosmopolitan cities rich in diversity and energy. Quite frankly, unlike the original poster, I would hate living in suburbia.

I also understand that the intangibles often make the city so attractive… these intangibles make the quality of living very difficult to quantify. And to be fair, despite my reservations about SF, I still find that the city offers a much superior in quality of life than places like Manhattan.

I suppose it’s easier to enjoy a city if you don’t have kids (we have one and are expecting our second any very soon). My whole expectation of what a good city should represent has changed since becoming a parent. I now expect some decent services in a city. Unfortunately, good daycare in SF costs $1800 per child! Rents are astronomical for the quality, size, and location you get, and, despite the high rent costs, they’re still much more affordable than holding a mortgage. So while paying high prices are the norm in most major metropolitan cities, SF does not seem to offer very much in return, unless you’re a tax payer that doesn’t really need city services…

For all the tax revenue the city receives in high property values assessments, corporate taxes, and a relatively high sales tax, the city lacks a good transportation system, has a significant homeless problem, runs mediocre schools at best, and lacks of good ramps in numerous neighborhoods (walking with a stroller in some neighborhoods has proven to be a formidable challenge… I can’t imagine how any handicapped people can get along in some neighborhoods).

Then there are the elements that administration cannot control… which include cold summers and strong, cold Pacific winds throughout the year, and, even more chilling, is anti-children sentiment that permeates in the city. This last one has been the most disappointing of all…

My time in San Francisco will be limited, I’ve decided. I guess not all cities make great fits for all personality types. It’s really sad though… I expected great things. Perhaps (hopefully) my impression will change with time…

Old 07-24-2008, 06:31 PM

19 posts, read 71,692 times
Arrow Ca = $$$$

Prepare yourself. The cost of living is almost 3x as much as anywhere else.
CA seems to have bs'd its residents into believing that they MUST pay higher for things than anywhere else in the country.

People have bought into it for so long they squawk at you when you bring it up.

Just a small example: I like a particular brand of espresso for my coffeemaker. CA: $6 Elsewhere: $3 Same can, same size, same coffee.

I'm so glad I left! I'm richer for it in so many ways!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland