Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 PM

10 posts, read 70,833 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the Bay Area mid-September and was trying to nail down a specific city. I have a traveling job and would generally be home for the weekend. Which are the nice places to rent rooms in SF city which would make commuting to the South Bay (car/train) possible ?

I've pretty much given up looking for an apartment as the rentals are just too high compared to what I have been paying in Denver ! So I was looking for rooms to rent in the 600-900 range. I am in my late twenties and single. I was also looking at Mountain View but would prefer a "big city" experience. And of course, hiking trails would be a plus (whih is one of the reasons I thought about mtn view).

regards,
s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:17 PM

29 posts, read 119,140 times
there's really nothing in that range in San Francisco. I looked around for a whole month until I found my very spacious studio (full kitchen and bathroom) for $850......but it's in the tenderloin, and the vast majority of people would not want to live in the tenderloin. IN fact I'm pretty badd ass for living in the TL.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM

29 posts, read 119,140 times
Mountain View is very very very boring. I lived in the South Bay for a while. nothing to do theah.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM

110 posts, read 376,961 times
Mountain View is as boring as dry dog poop. I wouldn't waste your time. Move to SF and rough it for awhile on people's sofas until you can find a cheapo studio for 950 in the Western Addition or Bay View. Then claw your way up the corporate latter and buy a condo
in the Rincon Tower.

Last edited by Palmer Eldritch; 07-29-2008 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM

103 posts, read 366,962 times
Mt. View is cheap and boreing. SF is the place to be for a younger person. regards Ripley

Old 07-29-2008, 06:10 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Mountain View is fantastic. You have very easy access to SF with a very scenic drive up the 280. You can also take Caltrain or park at the Daly City Bart station and take the Bart train. You can go to SF anytime without dealing with all the many negatives of living there. In SF there is also the difficulty of parking your car unless you rent a place with a garage,unlikely for under $1,000.

Mountain View and neighboring cities have easy access to the many nature trails in the area.

Where to Hike: Park profiles for the San Francisco Bay region

Mountain View is also next to Sunnyvale which has the best authentic Indian Food.

http://www.saravanabhavan.com/menu/california_us.pdf

http://www.madrascafe.us/menu.htm

http://www.tastebudsindianfood.com/image/Menu.pdf

Madhuban Indian Cuisine (http://www.madhubanindiancuisine.net/menus.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland