U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:12 PM

103 posts, read 238,815 times
Well I would say its easier to do break-ins and burglaries in LA, but the take is small. Better take per break-in here in SF. Remember the risk always equals the reward. Ripley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,474,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkindred View Post
So, those who are arguing San Fran is more dangerous than L.A. might not understand the numbers. My home town Kansas City has one of the highest homicide rates in the U.S. It's "crime index" is 798.6! Take that! I am so proud. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkindred View Post
And I was right about my city, Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS are 2 of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. So proud!

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com

The funny thing is people in SF try to brag about having a lot of crime and being tuff because they are a small city. People in NYC, L.A. etc. want to seem like their cities are safe.

The ONLY person on here to "brag about having a lot of crime and being tuff because they are a small city" has been YOU!!! When did any single person commenting on this thread claim crime in SF as a badge of honor?! No one spoke of crime in SF with any pride, but you seem to think it's cool that KC has high crime rates. Get off the crack!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 AM

2,958 posts, read 3,474,474 times
BTW tkindred, KC is NOT that bad. Try comparing it to Oakland statistically.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/com...=oakland&s2=CA

Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM

46 posts, read 128,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
well in the past few years SF crime rate has gone up and LA's has gone down to a point where LA actually has a lower crime rate than SF. At least in 2006 based on information this site gives.
Gla to hear that LA crime has gone down. Little brother lives there. Initially was renting a room and one day, he opened the door to a knock on the door and was pointed by a gun and asked for money. Speaking in native language, he told his new wife, sitting in the living room, to go to the bedroom and as she started heading to the bedroom, he slammed the door closed. My sister thinks that he was followed from his new jewelry store. He and his wife moved to an apartment after the landlord got scared.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
Im from the South Central Area of L.A. I remember one day i was walking down a street in south L.A in broad daylight. As i was walking i had to cross a street at a stop light. When i pressed the button to cross the street i looked over to my left and i saw a bunch of guys in a car loading up their weapons i guess to do a drive-by. When i saw them my heart litteraly dropped, so i proceeded to cross the street as if i didnt see them. To my luck they didnt even notice me really, they were to focused with their guns. Another hairy situation happened to me the first day i went to school in Inglewood. It was break time so a bunch of the school kids went out into the field to chill before the bell rang. As i talked to my friend all of the sudden i heard about 7 gunshots go off . At that momment the security guard who was watching us told us all to hit the floor so all you see is a bunch of school kids ducking to the ground to avoid gunfire. Im not even sure if anyone called the Police after that. As soon as it was over everything went back to normal and everyone kinda acted like it didnt happen. Ive seen lots of people walking around with guns in these parts as if they were cell phones. Alot of people will tell you L.A is safe. But these people never been to the bad parts of L.A in their whole entire life nor will they ever. Ive walked through South Central alone by myself past midnight and i can tell you it gets pretty fishy.Another thing is the police out here dont really care, its just another person dead. Thats the kind of attitude that they have out here. Too bad are concealed weapon laws suck. If they didnt i would walk through ANY parts of L.A care free.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM

17 posts, read 23,288 times
I was in oakland and I got jumped twice. I heard LA is one of the many safes large cities in America allmost like new York.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM

24,606 posts, read 29,988,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Monkeys View Post
I was in oakland and I got jumped twice.
I keep telling the Oakland Convention and Visitors Bureau that jumping people is not an appropriate welcome, but they just won't listen.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 PM

7,062 posts, read 17,441,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't really feel unsafe in either city or really any city b/c I don't go into bad parts generally. But LA is spread out so it's bad parts tend to be far away from it's good parts while SF is much denser and you have some pretty bad neighborhoods much closer to better parts of the city. If LA is more dangerous right now then prove it.... If it helps you feel better about SF, LA's crime rate was higher than SF's until the last few years....

Also since you claim you can't base a city's crime off personal experience or police stats then what the hell do you base off of for how safe a city is?
Exactly.

SF is a "spotty" city. The city is small and the bad areas are often blocks away from tourist areas or nice residential areas. LA and NYC have massive bad neighborhoods but you will never stumble into them by accident, you really have to actively seek them for the most part. That is what gives SF it's sketchy feel, especially at night. I have had several after-dark scares in SF but never in NYC, even when spending all night out on the streets many times.

Crime statistics are often irrelevant, because the perception of safety is much more important than the reality of safety.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM

10 posts, read 23,081 times
Default Safest Communities in the SF Bay Area?

I'm from the greater LA area & have lived in Sac for 5 years now. I was wondering if anyone had some insight as to what the safest areas of the bay area are? I'm thinking of moving to the bay area & was wondering what are the low-crime areas are. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 921,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Monkeys View Post
I was in oakland and I got jumped twice. I heard LA is one of the many safes large cities in America allmost like new York.
Completely not true, unless you only count the Hollywood Hills for your crime stats. NYC is incredibly safe beyond measure (although it's got its bad spots for sure). LA is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland