Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:22 PM

31 posts, read 122,516 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to the bay area from LA and I wanted to point out the various crimes which have been committed to me living in both places and which neighborhoods

LA: lived here for 14 years
Echo Park: a sort of ghetto. I was strong armed mugged and my back pack was stolen. I was not hurt, just robbed
Westwood: car was keyed in parking lot

Bay Area: been here 1.5 years
SF: Noe Valley (nice, upscale, extremely left wing area) car keyed
SF: Noe Valley: car broken into
SF: downtown: gun pulled on taxi driver while stopped at a red light, and mini car chase ensues while I was in car
Walnut Creek: car broken into

So far, it appears that the bay area has been worse for crime based on my personal experience. It is also safe to say there are far more crimes committed in the bay area which are closer to home than LA.

I think the bay area is worse for crime than LA since most LA crime takes place in areas that are so far away from where anyone would actually live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,159,892 times
Bay Area vs LA crime.

Lived in the LA area 20 years, lived here 13.

LA - Bike stolen

SF - Car illegally towed by city

Seems pretty even to me.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,276,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Bay Area vs LA crime.

Lived in the LA area 20 years, lived here 13.

LA - Bike stolen

SF - Car illegally towed by city

Seems pretty even to me.
LOL , exactly. You can't compare this based on your personal experience. Too many other factors skew the results.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:18 PM

31 posts, read 122,516 times
I agree with Cityboy, but I also think it is interesting to see peoples personal experiences while they live someplace. My point with this post is that I think there is sometimes an overgeneralization that one city is more crime ridden than another based on statistics and not citizens actual experiences.

My yoga instructor lives in the Mission and was followed home from Noe Valley 2X and mugged. I just never had anything like that happen or heard about anything like that happening in the better parts of LA.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrlllll View Post
I agree with Cityboy, but I also think it is interesting to see peoples personal experiences while they live someplace. My point with this post is that I think there is sometimes an overgeneralization that one city is more crime ridden than another based on statistics and not citizens actual experiences.

My yoga instructor lives in the Mission and was followed home from Noe Valley 2X and mugged. I just never had anything like that happen or heard about anything like that happening in the better parts of LA.
I have family in Camden NJ and they have never been mugged, robbed or shot at. Crime stats are based on police data.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
well in the past few years SF crime rate has gone up and LA's has gone down to a point where LA actually has a lower crime rate than SF. At least in 2006 based on information this site gives.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,132,512 times
Haven't encountered crime in yrs of living/working in LA/SF....

Really depends upon area of each region, esp where one lives/works...how one commutes....

Part of why I enjoy SF/LA much more than NYC is that one can easily live in a house/condo w/secure garage pkg; many office bldgs have secure undgd pkg; key restaurants have valet pkg in front; easy to drive around City of SF from fin dt to PacHts; can easily do the scenic drive down to Stanford area to run errands, w/spacious street pkg....

Common sense reduces one's exposure to rndm street crime to nr-zero in either SF/LA's Westside....driving everywhere also reduces one's exposure to SF's dirty sts/homeless....walking is highly over-rated

Old 08-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
well in the past few years SF crime rate has gone up and LA's has gone down to a point where LA actually has a lower crime rate than SF. At least in 2006 based on information this site gives.
It's misleading because LA is enormous and those are just LA city stats. Not including most of the cities surrounding LA that make up most of the crime stats which makes the LA area so dangerous. (Compton, Watts, Inglewood etc etc)

Old 08-07-2008, 05:25 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
It's misleading because LA is enormous and those are just LA city stats. Not including most of the cities surrounding LA that make up most of the crime stats which makes the LA area so dangerous. (Compton, Watts, Inglewood etc etc)
and I was just referring to the CITY of LA and the CITY of SF statistics. Yes and Richmond and Oakland are so much safer than Inglewood and Compton

Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy
SF has Oakland, Richmond, Vallejo, East Palo Alto, etc, etc...It's the same thing. (I know Oakland isn't a suburb of SF or anything, just using it for the comparison).

SF has a had a higher overall crime rate than LA since 2005. Murder, robbery, burglary, theft, and car theft rates are higher in SF, whereas rape, and assault rates are higher in LA.
As a whole, from what i remember, the Bay Area and the LA area are almost the same in terms of crime rate, with LA having maybe a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland