U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM

592 posts, read 851,510 times
I was born and raised ... and damn near died in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've lived in many parts of San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, Richmond, the hills, the flatlands ... San Mateo, San Carlos ... Fairfield ... worked in San Jose and Sacramento ... so ... at age 55, I can honestly say, I KNOW SAN FRANCISCO.

It's always been interesting to notice that most of the people who defend San Francisco most are from Kansas or New York ... other places.

Me? The SF Bay Area makes me sad. Real sad. Why? It looks pretty much the same ... but it's not the same.

The weather is glorious.
Jobs??? If you're in the right thing jobs can be good here ... say ... finance, High Tech ... bar tending ... working for the police department ... hey ... that's a REAL good job here. I'd say Mental Health but the pay is lousy. Teachers ... lots of schools here ... and everyone wants to be a member of the elite so teaching jobs are here. Some creative stuff ... cafes ... Starbucks ... the illegals pretty much have the house painting market sewed up.

Another good reason to move here is ...
If you're gay or lesbian. This really is the Gay Mecca of the world. And no ... they aren't any nicer or more enlighten than any other population. Sad to say it ... but anyone who bases his or her life on sex rather than the heart is going to be a piece of work to get along with at some point of the day .. or night.

Women?
Oy vey ... I've met some really awesome women here in the Bay Area ... but none of them were in the church. (If they were, it was one of the New Age types.) Real surface stuff. Virtue doesn't go too deep here.

Males ... well ladies ... most of the so-called "men" who are working are spoiled, prissy, passive-aggressive ... and slightly socio-pathic. (This is what happens when the area attracts people who can't get along where they're at and move to a place to be accetpted ... yet they refuse to accept the natives who made the place what it was in its hey-day.)

Racism.
Economic racism is HUGE here. HUGE. (As in anti-black) But there's karma to every action. Perhaps the mean-spirited actions that give way to hatred is one of the reasons why people are so un-happy here. So much anger under the surface waiting to hang itself on any target it can get away with.

Lots of drugs ... lots of meaningless sex ....lots of STDs ... depravity ... LOTS of meaningless competition OVER NOTHING. Hubris reigns.

This place used to be soooo cool. The music ... the clubs ... now they're owned and contained and sanitized and a bunch of clones frequent them. The recovery community is bursting at it's seams ... but many of them will be back out getting loaded because ... "it's alllll surface." Nothing too deep baby.

So watch out where you walk ... someone will be trying to impress you with their cell phone or their car or how they're dressed ... or how cute they think they are ... and it's all surface baby ... all empty, meaningless surface.

Welcome to the Brave New World.
... but you won't believe me ... will you...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM

259 posts, read 1,102,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I was born and raised ... and damn near died in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've lived in many parts of San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, Richmond, the hills, the flatlands ... San Mateo, San Carlos ... Fairfield ... worked in San Jose and Sacramento ... so ... at age 55, I can honestly say, I KNOW SAN FRANCISCO.

It's always been interesting to notice that most of the people who defend San Francisco most are from Kansas or New York ... other places.

Me? The SF Bay Area makes me sad. Real sad. Why? It looks pretty much the same ... but it's not the same.

The weather is glorious.
Jobs??? If you're in the right thing jobs can be good here ... say ... finance, High Tech ... bar tending ... working for the police department ... hey ... that's a REAL good job here. I'd say Mental Health but the pay is lousy. Teachers ... lots of schools here ... and everyone wants to be a member of the elite so teaching jobs are here. Some creative stuff ... cafes ... Starbucks ... the illegals pretty much have the house painting market sewed up.

If you're gay or lesbian. This really is the Gay Mecca of the world. And no ... they aren't any nicer or more enlighten than any other population. Sad to say it ... but anyone who bases his or her life on sex rather than the heart is going to be a piece of work to get along with at some point of the day .. or night.

Women?
Oy vey ... I've met some really awesome women here in the Bay Area ... but none of them were in the church. (If they were, it was one of the New Age types.) Real surface stuff. Virtue doesn't go too deep here.

Males ... well ladies ... most of the so-called "men" who are working are spoiled, prissy, passive-aggressive ... and slightly socio-pathic. (This is what happens when the area attracts people who can't get along where they're at and move to a place to be accetpted ... yet they refuse to accept the natives who made the place what it was in its hey-day.)

Racism.
Economic racism is HUGE here. HUGE. (As in anti-black) But there's karma to every action. Perhaps the mean-spirited actions that give way to hatred is one of the reasons why people are so un-happy here. So much anger under the surface waiting to hang itself on any target it can get away with.

Lots of drugs ... lots of meaningless sex ....lots of STDs ... depravity ... LOTS of meaningless competition OVER NOTHING. Hubris reigns.

This place used to be soooo cool. The music ... the clubs ... now they're owned and contained and sanitized and a bunch of clones frequent them. The recovery community is bursting at it's seams ... but many of them will be back out getting loaded because ... "it's alllll surface." Nothing too deep baby.

So watch out where you walk ... someone will be trying to impress you with their cell phone or their car or how they're dressed ... or how cute they think they are ... and it's all surface baby ... all empty, meaningless surface.

But wouldn't you agree that its like this in every big city? Therefore you have to try and look past that and see what it is that this city offers that other cities do not.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 13,181 times
Quote:

The weather is glorious.

Women?

Racism.

A rather informative post. Thanks. Although, some could argue, that even you in your attempt to go beyond "meaningless surface" are also "showing off" how virtuous you are or how "deep" you really are.

Seeking attention, regardless of how one attempts to get it, is the "Brave New World." It is easy to find fault in others but difficult to see it in one's self.

But I do understand some of your points.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
I am actually from a real small town in the midwest. Have lived in Pensacola Florida, West Palm Beach Florida, and St. Louis Missouri. The reason I like the idea of living in San Francisco are the following: Job Opportunities, Outdoor Recreation, City Living and Transportation (BART), and the Liberal Vibe. David Hammond mentioned there are only ugly tattooted women in San Francisco? I've heard the opposite, that there are a lot of extremely good looking women there.
Siddhu, I am in a similar situation. I am moving to the Bay area for work and I too am from the midwest. Lived mostly in Missouri and Illinois. In fact, I am not looking forward to it simply because I will miss family. But, as a scholar once said, "unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow," it is time to try something different. Even if it's just for a short time. I just started reading through some threads about places to live and all the ones about bad areas and gangs and etc. Some great info here. I am still in search of a place to live.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:18 AM

87 posts, read 158,216 times
Tazan - if you end up living in the East Bay (San Ramon, Dublin, Danville, or Pleasanton areas) shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to help you out. I also came from the Midwest, although I recently moved back. I lived in the Dublin/Pleasanton area and absolutely loved it (preferred to visit the city for fun and not live in it).

Old 08-30-2008, 10:55 PM

13 posts, read 46,629 times
vegan writer ,i just dont understand anyone who can make such a sweeping blanket judgment about anything, let alone a whole entire city, bay area, where there are millions of people who live there.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:22 PM

913 posts, read 1,543,826 times
Quote:
Can you tell me more about Albany? We are a vegan family and looking for a place to settle. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:16 AM

14,103 posts, read 11,736,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
For the people that moved to SF, what is some advice you wish someone who have given you before you moved?
I live in San Jose, an hour south of SF. As a gay man, one would think I'd be in heaven in SF or the Bay Area more generally. I used to think the liberal vibe here was cool. It was nice to live in a place where being gay is more fully accepted. But I got disappointed with it over time because many liberals here are not really liberal in the true sense of the word (as in open minded to all points of view). I've found that there are as many, if not more, rabid and closed minded liberals as there are Fundamentalist Christians. Many in the gay community will have nothing to do with you if they find out you've voted for a Republican.

The area is really not a good place to live if you want to have a family (that is true for the Bay Area in general) unless you have lots (and I mean LOTS) of money.

I also wish that someone would have warned me about how much the lifestyle here revolves around spending money, which is especially true if you're single. There is lots to do here, but that can be a problem as rents are high and it is simply not possible for someone of modest income (I'm single and make 50K a year) to 'keep up' with the spending activities of people in this area (concerts, restaurants, etc. driving an hour here and an hour there to do various things in the area) and still save a decent amount of money. I never realized how much that "never enough" feeling would grate on me over time.

San Francisco City government is also corrupt and / or inept and often just plain bone headed.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM

99 posts, read 176,848 times
Siddhartha,

What kind of work do you do? Do you want to live in San Francisco proper, or are you open to other areas? Are you single?

I am a gay man who is originally from the Chicago area. I moved to SF in 1997 from Madison Wisconsin, where I had been living for two years. I moved for better career opportunities, better chance of finding a life partner, and because I loved the weather and natural beauty of the area. All in all, I loved it. I did meet someone who I've been with for 10 years now. We left San Francisco in 2004 to move to Portland, OR for a variety of reasons, but a lot of it having to do with frustration over the EXTRAORDINARILY high cost of housing - and I mean like nothing you've ever seen before or could even imagine given where you've lived. We are contemplating a return because my partner does not have a good job situation here and misses the Bay Area because it is home to him, which it is not for me. I would prefer to stay in Portland, but am starting to get used to the idea of going back because there are a lot of good things about it.

If you want your own apartment in SF, expect to pay at least $1500/month for anything decent. You can certainly find things that are less than that, but they will probably be run-down and or in unattractive neighborhoods. And, San Francisco, as wonderful as it is, has plenty of unattractive and/or boring areas. If you ever want to be a homeowner, you are talking $600-800K for a 1 bedroom condo in a desirable area. Single-family homes are probably 800K on the low end for a tiny place that probably needs a lot of work in a neighborhood that is still rough around the edges. If you want 1500 sq. ft and 2 bathrooms in a hip area - be prepared to shell out 1.5M minimum.

Salaries tend to be better than most other areas, but they are maybe 10-15% higher than smaller cities.

You will want to live near public transportation, as having a car in the city can be a nightmare - it can often take 20-25 minutes to find a parking space if you want to go out to eat in the evening. If you work downtown, the cost of parking is prohibitive so don't even think about trying to drive.

If you could find a job within reasonable commuting distance, I would consider the East Bay, ie Oakland or Berkeley - they are as liberal as SF if not more so, the weather is considerably better (in SF, if you live on the west side, expect a typical summer day to be a high of 59 and foggy), and it is less expensive. If you work in downtown SF and live near a BART station, the commute is actually better from Berkeley or Oakland than it would be from many parts of SF proper, because the city transportation system (MUNI) is not very good (at least it wasn't when I was there - perhaps there has been a dramatic improvement in the last 5 years.

If you want to live the equivalent of an average middle-class lifestyle in most other cities in terms of living space, comfort, amenities, you would probably need to earn 70-100K as a single person in SF. Obviously people live there on a lot less, but they have roommates or even share a room in a apartment with someone.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland