Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 AM

100 posts, read 280,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
I am considering a move to San Francisco and would like some advice from people who have actually lived there or do currently live there. I've visited briefly before but its not the same as living there. I want to know in general what to expect before I move. The main thing that attracts me to SF is the number of available jobs and the outdoor activities it has to offer. I'm out of college and have the money saved up to move and am thinking this might be the place to start a career. For the people that moved to SF, what is some advice you wish someone who have given you before you moved? Do you still live there, if not do you want to move back? Whats a good area for someone like myself to live in? Whats a good way to go about looking for jobs, or is this something that can only be done once in SF? Is this place over hyped or is it really worth living there?
The biggest drawback to living in San Francisco is the high cost. If I were you I would consider moving to a suburb that's within easy reach of BART, as the traffic can also get quite congested. Other than that, the San Francisco Bay Area is a great place to be. It probably stands alone as having the greatest mix of diversity while and tolerance. There are other diverse places like New York, LA, and Chicago, but they're all far more segregated than SF. Great weather, too. If you like the outdoors Muir Woods nearby in Marin County is fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 AM

46 posts, read 192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I've never experienced the complete disregard for civility and humanity that I encounter on an hourly basis here.

Top 10 Reasons I Hate San Francisco
When I visited SF, I parked my acr at the hotel and did not drive. When I was heading to a place and got lost. No one, NO one would even take a look at me when I asked for some direction. Well, someone did. eventually but it was after I got lost more.

I would not want to live in a city like that if the jobs are there, I'd say to the OP "Go for it". I myself is wondering whether I would need to find Cisco intrenship work in SF Nay Area once I get my CCNA cert.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingalabaa View Post
When I visited SF, I parked my acr at the hotel and did not drive. When I was heading to a place and got lost. No one, NO one would even take a look at me when I asked for some direction. Well, someone did. eventually but it was after I got lost more.
I'm always happy to give directions when asked... I even answered a reference question on the street last night - in Spanish, nonetheless. Well, I actually couldn't answer it on the spot, and by the time I ran home & looked it up they were gone. Anyway, I think most San Franciscans are willing to help a tourist, as long as you're not bothering them at an inopportune time. It is an expensive city, as you all pointed out, which means we are busy working.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingalabaa View Post
I found the people of SF to be very friendly on my most recent trip to look for apartments--even a cabbie was giving me recommendations and wished me good luck. Thing to keep in mind is that just because you see someone on the street doesn't mean that they are locals. Someone asked me for directions on three different occasions, and since it was my first time there, I had no idea where anything was.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM

13 posts, read 60,887 times
wow, I've never heard so mant negatives about sf!!! SF is one of the greatest cities in the us!! its nothing like NY (also one of the greatest) it has diversity, culture, awesome nightlife, gorgeous scenery, great weather. its very hip, liberal, open. of course there are rude people, druggies, homeless people, sketchy areas,.. duh, thats why its called a city! if you are from a small town somewhere in the midwest looking to get out of the snow, see the world, SF is a great place to start and, yes, its also one of the most expensive places on earth. it depends on what kind of work you are in, high tech is big of course, but you can also work in a cafe and share a flat with some room mates and do fine. there are many different neighborhoods in sf, all with a different flavor, take your pick. its not to big a city so its pretty easy to get around and not hard to find your way back if you get lost. get a book about the bay area, come and stay in a hostel and check it out.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 PM

93 posts, read 234,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
haha, keep telling yourself that if it helps....... Like convincing a few people on an online forum it to move here is going to drive up the cost of living. The Bay Area has a negative net migration and it's only births and immigration driving it's population up. People are so delusional to think everyone still wants to live in CA or the Bay Area just to live here. Believe it or not, some people do actually think this place is overrated and not worth it, including natives like myself. Only in the Bay Area would someone be so smug to assume those that say they dislike it do so b/c they don't want anyone else moving to the Bay Area.
I think people who don't like SF and don't think it's all that should just leave. Please leave. Please. Housing prices are too high. Cost of living is too high. It's really a function of supply vs demand. And the fact that the building code does not allow high rise apartment building like NYC.

I am a native of NYC - the center of the universe and the greatest city in the world. I didn't like it enough to stay. So I left. If you don't like SF please by all mean leave. Don't hesitate. Life is too short to be unhappy.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
I think people who don't like SF and don't think it's all that should just leave. Please leave. Please. Housing prices are too high. Cost of living is too high. It's really a function of supply vs demand. And the fact that the building code does not allow high rise apartment building like NYC.

I am a native of NYC - the center of the universe and the greatest city in the world. I didn't like it enough to stay. So I left. If you don't like SF please by all mean leave. Don't hesitate. Life is too short to be unhappy.
okay....., I agree if you are not happy somewhere then you should leave if you are able to, but realize not everyone is able to just pick up and move like that; it's not that simple or easy.

It seems you have a problem with others telling their story of why they don't like SF or the Bay Area. Believe it or not some people don't care for this area and their opinions are just as valid as those that do love it here. It's pretty BS to assume those that say they don't like it here are doing so b/c they really do like it and just don't want people moving to the Bay Area. And that is what I was mainly trying to get at. Their opinions matter to those looking to move here so they can get a real idea of what people like and don't like about the area so they can decide for themselves whether or not it's for them, so you shouldn't try to downplay their discontent with the region b/c it's a valid opinion.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 PM

153 posts, read 567,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
I am considering a move to San Francisco and would like some advice from people who have actually lived there or do currently live there. I've visited briefly before but its not the same as living there. I want to know in general what to expect before I move. The main thing that attracts me to SF is the number of available jobs and the outdoor activities it has to offer. I'm out of college and have the money saved up to move and am thinking this might be the place to start a career. For the people that moved to SF, what is some advice you wish someone who have given you before you moved? Do you still live there, if not do you want to move back? Whats a good area for someone like myself to live in? Whats a good way to go about looking for jobs, or is this something that can only be done once in SF? Is this place over hyped or is it really worth living there?
It is all relative. Where are you moving from? Where have you lived? To me SF is one of the best places to live in the United States. I emphasize, in the U.S.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 PM

153 posts, read 567,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
okay....., I agree if you are not happy somewhere then you should leave if you are able to, but realize not everyone is able to just pick up and move like that; it's not that simple or easy.

It seems you have a problem with others telling their story of why they don't like SF or the Bay Area. Believe it or not some people don't care for this area and their opinions are just as valid as those that do love it here. It's pretty BS to assume those that say they don't like it here are doing so b/c they really do like it and just don't want people moving to the Bay Area. And that is what I was mainly trying to get at. Their opinions matter to those looking to move here so they can get a real idea of what people like and don't like about the area so they can decide for themselves whether or not it's for them, so you shouldn't try to downplay their discontent with the region b/c it's a valid opinion.
I agree too. If you do not like a place leave. But the problem is there seems to be a certain type of person who likes to live in SF and they have taken one of the most beautiful geographical areas in the U.S. Perhaps "they" should leave and let others move in. :-). If I could change one thing here it would be the people and their bizarre attitudes.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 PM

258 posts, read 1,504,787 times
I am actually from a real small town in the midwest. Have lived in Pensacola Florida, West Palm Beach Florida, and St. Louis Missouri. The reason I like the idea of living in San Francisco are the following: Job Opportunities, Outdoor Recreation, City Living and Transportation (BART), and the Liberal Vibe. Moderator cut: Referring to removed post

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-24-2008 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland