Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:51 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
SAN FRANCISCO

the climate alone is a good reason to choose SF instead of NYC [SF has a mild climate, never gets too cold or too hot]

SF is a paradise compared to NYC
I agree with you Mr Bolo. Also, if you don't like the weather on San Francisco, the rest of the Bay Area has different micro-climates. I lived in the East Bay (Walnut Creek), and I loved the weather, maybe only 5-10 unbrearable summer days a year, and the winter is basically exactly like SF, not too cold, love and miss the weather out there.

Last edited by ttocs99; 10-04-2010 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:05 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
SAN FRANCISCO

the climate alone is a good reason to choose SF instead of NYC [SF has a mild climate, never gets too cold or too hot]

SF is a paradise compared to NYC

Funniest post I've read in weeks. Yea SF's perpetual balmy weather is totally a reason to choose it over the most fully loaded city in the world.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times
I've lived in NYC and now SF. I think SF is a lot more livable and pleasant than NYC. I think it is easier to live in SF for the rest of your life than NYC. NYC seems to be more like you go there when you are young and live for a few years and build a career, and then get out, unless you are super rich.

NYC is more expensive, more stressful, more extreme weather (hot humid summers and super icy cold winters).

SF is expensive too but not as much as NYC. SFs median home price was $775k versus $1.4 M in NYC. Real estate and rental-wise you get more for your money. More square footage, more light, more views, more new and renovated and better location. Also the pace of life in NYC is a lot faster (including work culture) with lots of noise pollution whereas there are lots of quiet "suburban like" areas in SF in addition to more urban settings. As for the weather, SF is cooler climate by California standards- don't expect hot and long beachy summers like in LA or SD. But, the weather is still much more mild and comfortable than NYC. And it doesn't get humid here either.

San Francisco's quality of living ranking according to Mercer index: 32 (2nd highest ranked US city on the list, just behind Honolulu) versus NYC: 49. source: here According to that, even Chicago, Boston and Washington beat out NYC for quality of living.

Here is another article: 10 Pricey Cities that Payoff- according to that- SF is #1 for being a pricey city that is worth its pricetag

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...realestate-buy

"San Francisco residents enjoy a premium beyond income, such as great weather, a thriving local arts community, and lively neighborhoods."

Last edited by mini_cute; 10-04-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I've lived in NYC and now SF. I think SF is a lot more livable and pleasant than NYC. I think it is easier to live in SF for the rest of your life than NYC. NYC seems to be more like you go there when you are young and live for a few years and build a career, and then get out, unless you are super rich.

NYC is more expensive, more stressful, more extreme weather (hot humid summers and super icy cold winters).

SF is expensive too but not as much as NYC. SFs median home price was $775k versus $1.4 M in NYC. Real estate and rental-wise you get more for your money. More square footage, more light, more views, more new and renovated and better location. Also the pace of life in NYC is a lot faster (including work culture) with lots of noise pollution whereas there are lots of quiet "suburban like" areas in SF in addition to more urban settings. As for the weather, SF is cooler climate by California standards- don't expect hot and long beachy summers like in LA or SD. But, the weather is still much more mild and comfortable than NYC. And it doesn't get humid here either.

San Francisco's quality of living ranking according to Mercer index: 32 (2nd highest ranked US city on the list, just behind Honolulu) versus NYC: 49. source: here According to that, even Chicago, Boston and Washington beat out NYC for quality of living.

Here is another article: 10 Pricey Cities that Payoff- according to that- SF is #1 for being a pricey city that is worth its pricetag

10-pricey-cities-that-pay-off.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

"San Francisco residents enjoy a premium beyond income, such as great weather, a thriving local arts community, and lively neighborhoods."
Wow, well said mini_cute, I agree with everything written there. Many reasons to prefer SF to NY, and the ones listed above are some main reasons.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:35 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
more new and renovated and better location.
Don't know about NYC but there is nothing new and renovated in SF unless you live in SOMA/Mission bay. These two also happen to be very sterile and boring neighborhoods compared to rest of the city. Outside of SOMA, all SF apartments are basically rent-controlled slums in miserable shape.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Don't know about NYC but there is nothing new and renovated in SF unless you live in SOMA/Mission bay. These two also happen to be very sterile and boring neighborhoods compared to rest of the city. Outside of SOMA, all SF apartments are basically rent-controlled slums in miserable shape.
An anti-San Francisco post by Andy, what a shock !! Keep up the good work bro, I'd be shocked if you ever said anything positive about San Francisco. The way you talk about it, I rather live in Newark NJ or Detroit Michigan, they sound way more like paradise compared to SF.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 AM

106 posts, read 273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
An anti-San Francisco post by Andy, what a shock !! Keep up the good work bro, I'd be shocked if you ever said anything positive about San Francisco. The way you talk about it, I rather live in Newark NJ or Detroit Michigan, they sound way more like paradise compared to SF.
You have millions of people that would love to live in San Francisco, and this guy is on a message board crying about living in San Francisco every day. He's the type of person that would be miserable wherever he went because he's a miserable person in general, but uses the city as a scapegoat for his misery. He's going on my ignore list.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 Native View Post
You have millions of people that would love to live in San Francisco, and this guy is on a message board crying about living in San Francisco every day. He's the type of person that would be miserable wherever he went because he's a miserable person in general, but uses the city as a scapegoat for his misery. He's going on my ignore list.
Exactly, I think Andy is just looking for some attention. And since he's negative, he wants negative attention in the form of getting under peoples skin.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 Native View Post
You have millions of people that would love to live in San Francisco
And how do you know that? The population of SF has barely increased in many years and the population in sub belt cities are exploding! People vote with their feet. Case closed!

On the contrary SF has a very large number of transient people. Folks who come here to work or be partying a hipster for few years and then move on. Very few people live here long term if they have the option to move simply because the city is neither pleasant nor convenient to live.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:39 PM

106 posts, read 273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
And how do you know that? The population of SF has barely increased in many years and the population in sub belt cities are exploding! People vote with their feet. Case closed!

On the contrary SF has a very large number of transient people. Folks who come here to work or be partying a hipster for few years and then move on. Very few people live here long term if they have the option to move simply because the city is neither pleasant nor convenient to live.
How do I know that? Gee, I don't know maybe because it's one of the most popular cities in the world. Your post confirms you don't live in SF otherwise you'd understand the lack of space for housing, and lack of affordable housing prevents most from being able to live here. If SF was as cheap as the "Sun belt cities" there would be well over a million people living here. Most the new condo's being build here and around SOMA are already pre reserved and some full and they are not even finished. Like the weather you really know nothing about SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland