U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,461 times

Advertisements

We're moving our family from Michigan to S.F. this summer for a job move. The job's in the city and we're looking at East Bay to live. I'll do BART, most likely, as I get a free Parking spot downtown and can leave my car there. My wife stays home with our kids (5 yr.s and 2 1/2). Looking at the threads and talking to people, it seems that Walnut Creek is an obvious choice, as is Orinda and Lafayette and all the usual suspects for us, since the homes are nice size, the schools are good and they are low-crime. However, I have seen very little mention of Castro Valley as an option? why is that? The Walnut Creek-type places look very nice, but it's hard to find something for less than $650k with 3 bedrooms, and Castro Valley might be a glimmer of hope? I met a woman that grew up there and loved it. Keeping in mind that each community has its fans and each is unique in its own way, I'm wondering what Castro Valley is like as an alternative to a W.C. type of lifestyle. Could we get a decent house with 3 bedrooms and room to host visitors from the midwest? are the schools good? is crime low? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 01:04 AM

835 posts, read 1,256,197 times
castro valley is a decent area, but WC is much better. I grew up around CV and I'd take WC anyday. Homes aren't that much cheaper, but in cv an older home can be had for $650, but it will be a huge letdown prolly in comparison to what you might have now. CV is different than what it was 20 years ago and not for the better.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:48 PM

25 posts, read 76,542 times
As someone who grew up in Castro Valley, I too agree it has changed. But CV is a great place to raise kids, as it was 15-20 years ago. The houses in the hills, old and new are still a great place to live. The schools are good, and people are nice. The flat area, where there are more apartments might be getting a little rougher, but nothing to worry about. Walnut Creek is very nice, but the attitude, and the "stuck up" are easily found. Not like that in CV. I would definitely look into it.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 AM

835 posts, read 1,256,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodson View Post
As someone who grew up in Castro Valley, I too agree it has changed. But CV is a great place to raise kids, as it was 15-20 years ago. The houses in the hills, old and new are still a great place to live. The schools are good, and people are nice. The flat area, where there are more apartments might be getting a little rougher, but nothing to worry about. Walnut Creek is very nice, but the attitude, and the "stuck up" are easily found. Not like that in CV. I would definitely look into it.
When I went to school in San Lorenzo we all thought CV had the stuck up attitude.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,562 times
You should also consider Concord, which is near Walnut Creek and also on the BART line. It's not as expensive as Walnut Creek and has good housing, shopping, etc. Also, look in Pleasanton, Danville, and Dublin.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 PM

36 posts, read 110,041 times
I live in Castro Valley now, and am in the "flat area" and yes it's changed since 20 years ago- for the better. Castro Valley used to be the East Bay Head Quarters for the KKK, not any more. We have a wonderfully diverse population who are educated, family oriented and kind. We have a number of parks which are always filled with laughter and our schools are award winning. I'm a stay at home mom, with 2 kids under 4 and although living in the bay area is difficult on one income, we are making it and feel very grateful that we are in Castro Valley.
GoodLuck in finding your community.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 PM

50 posts, read 248,370 times
Default Life long resident

To Thank you I am 48 yrs old and have lived my entire life in C.V. I am a person of color ( brown skin) by the way I don't play the race card and never had any problems in C.V. in the old days and I grew up in the country part of C.V. ( went to Palomares, Earl Warren now Creekside and Canyon H.S. now Canyon Middle School). So I think I can speak on C.V. I had friends that lived in town and we never had any problems growing up in the Village or walking the streets. If you walk the streets now you could run into trouble. I have raised my family here (3 kids ages 22, 18 and 16 at C.V.H.S.) and when my 16 year old graduates I will be heading east over the hills because I agree that C.V. has gone down hill in the last 10 years. It comes from the over flow from OAK, S LEAN, HAY, and so on. I lived on Proctor rd and had my car egged, my home broken into, and if you read the last C.V. Forum it had an article on all of the cars being broken into and vandalized on Proctor rd. To the person looking to by a home head east into Plea, Livermre, W.C., Danvll, if you plan to buy. I plan to leave soon and I grew up here.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way. I understand your wanting to leave, I also get the urge to move after hearing about what happened to you and your neighbors, but frankly, crime is everywhere including over ther hills. I read about teenagers and drug use in the affluent Pleasanton this last week. I'm not sure what trouble you are refering to and where you are walking, but I walk with our double stroller all over and I wouldn't do that if I didn't feel my kids and I were safe. Every morning you can see the strollers & joggers up and down Lake Chabot road. They feel safe, I'd say.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,227 times
If you're white, then Castro Valley is the place for you. That place is filled with racists and is the Bay Area capital for the KKK. Yes, they're still around. So, if you're a minority, stay away. Trust me.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Again defending my town

I'm not sure what happened to "Ihatecastrovalley" for him/her to respond that way and I'm sorry for what ever that is, but I again I've found a large group of diverse, educated, kind people to befriend here. The best example I can think of right now would be to spend some time at the Castro Valley community center and park to really see how people are, what kind of people we are, what kind of community we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland