Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,180 times

Advertisements

Oakland is badddddddd, and the statistics prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 01:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
What I love about Oakland is so many people are scared of it they stay away not realizing how unique and physically beautiful the city is around Lake Merritt and many other areas of the city. The Media loves to down play how violent our famous neighbor city of San Francisco is, while making Oakland seem like Baghdad when in Reality San Francisco has a large amount of murders that other crime that hardly gets noticed in fear of driving away tourists. I remember 16 people were shot to death in a two week span across the Bay in "peaceful" San Francisco.
Perhaps that's good for Oakalnd though. It has helped prevent "Los Angelization" lol

Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
My in-laws are in town from Missouri and we took them to my parents house for dinner...there were like 20 of us all together. Anyway, they had always thought Oakland would be a bigger version of East St Louis.

Anyway,
Let's just say they were pleasantly surprised.
Yep. A friend of mine moved up there two years ago to go to USF. She's a native San Diegan and always heard these horrible things about Oakland and was scared to death. Well she was very pleased with her experience in Oakland and haas decided to remain in the Bay Area after Graduation. She now lives in Neighboring Berkeley.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
And that's fine...but guess what? There are folks out there who absolutely love the place, myself included.

So much so that I'm moving back from Marin County-one of the wealthiest and most well regarded places in the entire country, why?

Quite frankly, I miss the diversity, not just as far as race, but I miss being around people of different socio-economic classes as well as the different kinds of amenities each has available to them. Like a burrito truck, it just doesnt exist in Tiburon.
Exactly, you can't judge Oakland based a few bus thugs. Those same types of people could have been from San Diego and talking about "*****" or "***** town" or "the 619". Every large city has it's influences like this. New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and Boston all have similar types running around.

EDIT:turns out the slang names for San Diego are frequent enough to require filters on this forum unlike the Oakland ones LOL

Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Its pointless to even show pictures. These are people who refuse to believe what their eyes see. It goes too far against the grain of what they've been conditioned their whole lives to believe.

Hell, we could drive them up and down the 13 freeway and they still wouldnt believe they were in Oakland.

Its really quite strange.
...and that's one of the most beautiful drives anyone can take anywhere!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
You're right. It is pointless. Oh well. I love the hidden gem of Oakland. The less people who move here like them, the less the city will turn like the pretentious, BMW driving, yuppie filled neighbor city across the bridge who think their city is a safe haven from crime with their measly 75% unsolved 100+ murders and **** soaked streets. Funny nobody ever says anything negative about SF when they have the same exact problems as Oakland.
Only multiplied. San Francisco is scary as hell at night!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
*yawns*

trolling now? how pathetic.
Based on what I'm reading here, I never want to visit Arkansas now lOL

Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
...and that's one of the most beautiful drives anyone can take anywhere!
rep +1

So beautiful indeed...

Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmgirl View Post
Just because we are very diverse, have over 150 spoken languages and a high percentage of very educated people as well as a large number of high income households... don't hold that against us...

Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmgirl View Post
Yes stay out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland