Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 19,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
What area?
Don't have anything settled. my office building is in soma. I looking in the nob hill or marina areas. I have (white) friends there who say those locations are nice.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:28 PM

186 posts, read 475,165 times
hmm I still dont think it is worse than other places. To me it has gotten better, but of course you'll have people who's mind is still stuck in the 60's

Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
To the brotha at Cal State Hayward. I can tell that school is full of racists, a friend of mine went there for graduate school and wrote his dissertation on the media portrayal of Blacks. These two racists professors in the anthropology department told him to do it over because it's biased and is anti white. It took him an extra year to get his degree because of this. Those two professors are the writers of prop 209 that ended up banning affirmative action. They believe in the bell curve and feel that blacks have no right to complain about racism. You should have gone to SF state I don't advise anybody to go there.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,662 times
The fact of the matter is,, is that our country is still very racist. We have a long way to go. And just because you live in a metropolitan area doesn't mean you are safe from biased thoughts and views.
Most likely as a newcommer to a city you will meet other people from out of town who grew up in very close-minded societies throughout the country. People who most likely didn't grow up in diverse areas of the country and haven't been exposed to people of a different race, ethnicity, culture, and background. Although they may have the best intentions, their prejudices are deep rooted in them from their up bringing.
What I hear most about the West coast menality is that they do a great job at pretending to like eachother, but deep down inside its a different story. Kind of like an inside out Cactus, mooshy on the outside but thorny on the inside.
I also hear of an almost over zealousness of Political correctness.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:40 AM

While I thankfully haven't experienced the level of racism that some have on this forum, I don't discount it. I also wouldn't generalize to say 90% of the black women here don't like black men. Thats a far fetched statement. I found the racism in NYC to be 10 times worse than out here.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
While I thankfully haven't experienced the level of racism that some have on this forum, I don't discount it. I also wouldn't generalize to say 90% of the black women here don't like black men. Thats a far fetched statement. I found the racism in NYC to be 10 times worse than out here.
Or maybe the people in NYC were just more up front about it.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Or maybe the people in NYC were just more up front about it.
What ever the reason it was much worse, you can't even go into Bensonhurst without problems. I can't think of a neighborhood out here like that.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 22,384 times
Default :)

Like stated in the early posts, you will find racism everywhere (people living somewhere = stupid people mixed in) but SF is a really awesome place, dunno about Oakland though, had a bullet come through my friends window when i was visiting, scared the **** out of me. But yes SF is definitely a very diverse place, you should fit right in

Old 11-01-2008, 03:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonesun View Post
That may be why I am having so many problems man, most of my time is spent a Cal State Hayward, except for this semester; however. That school has literally depressed the **** out of me man. It's hard to focus when you have things happening to you like racist Asian chicks saying stuff out loud like: "Would you date a black guy? No way!!" "Racist white women saying stuff like: "Negro at 6:10" when you are coming their way, I had this happen to me during the spring semester when I was walking to my car from the North Science building. I mean this white ***** said this **** for nothing man; absolutely nothing. Her and her Arab friend just started insulting me out the blue for nothing at all. This is commonplace in the bay. No manners whatsoever.
I wonder if this is a college or maybe even an East Bay thing. I never noticed it at SJSU, or on the peninsula either. Then again I have never lived in the East Bay, unless you count a quiet neighborhood in the foothills of Milpitas. In any of the areas I've lived, if you dress like a punk and act like a punk, then people will treat you like a punk. Doesn't matter if you're white, brown or some Simpsons pastel color. If you dress at least halfway decent and act respectful, then you'll encounter a lot less resistance. Maybe the East Bay is different. I don't know.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonesun View Post
It has gotten better for black women over these past 10 years. I have even noticed that. At first, black women were catching it as bad as black men were out here back when I first moved out here. All blacks were looked down upon in a major way. Back when I first came out here in '97, black women's attitudes were ALOT nicer than they are now. I mean ALOT nicer. Black women were actually sweet back then.Even the ones who dated outside their race didn't seem to have any real malice towards black men.

However, I have noticed a very ugly attitude change in the black women out here that has taken place over the past 10 years towards black men. This nasty attitude change seems to have simultaneously coincided with the pushing of WM/BW relationships in the media also. It also seems that society is lifting up black women OVER black men by glamorizing all of your successes while talking about us being total failures. And alot of the things that people are saying ABOUT black men have come straight from black women's mouths. Alot of black men have noticed this change too; particularly with this new generation of black women coming up now.

This is the generation that I am currently going to school with; I dub this generation, the "Something New" generation; because they don't seem to care too much for non-thuggish black men AT ALL. It is either some thuggish clown, or they don't want to mess with a black man AT ALL. I don't like this new attitude in alot of black women.

It wasn't like that whatsoever when I first came out here 10 years ago. Somehow, this generation necessarily believes that black man ain't worth a damn from the jump street. That is why I asked what is up with black women these days; because something is REALLY up with them the way they are hating on black men.

From what I have seen, black women's social status has kind of been bumped up at the expense of the ain't **** black man. Black women have basically blamed all the problems of the black community on us. We are seen as the poster-child for all the faults of the black community. When in truth, you all are just as much to blame as us; however, nobody sees that. We just get blamed for every damn thing; when many black men ain't doing a damn thing wrong at all.

That is what is so frustrating about living in California; you can be a decent black man, but nobody even knows that you are alive. I even heard a black woman say that black men in California are blase' so to speak; because alot of these men of other races act so much like a damn black man that women can just negate black men and date them minus the stigma of being with a "negro".

You would be surprised at the things I have heard alot of these women say about black guys out here. I have heard Asian women say **** like: "Who wants a black guy anyway?" I have seen a black girl walking with her latina friend, and upon seeing me, say stuff like: "Black guys are played", and they both start laughing.

I am telling, it has been a damn hatefest for black guys out here, while black women are being accepted, black men are being REJECTED; and that sh*t ain't right.

Later,
America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland