Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 PM

764 posts, read 1,418,434 times

Advertisements

The title of this thread caught my eye - I grew up in the SF Bay Area (closer to the South Bay) and it sounds like it hasn't changed at all since I left almost 20 years ago. It's a shame really - it could be such a nice area, but I never could handle all the attitudes of the folks who believed if they lived in certain zip codes or drove certain cars they were "all that." What they were (in my opinion) were bigger jerks. I guess they were so insecure that they had to brag about their money - or pretense of money since I'm sure they were probably in debt up to their eyeballs - to make themselves feel better. There are some things I miss about California, but the shallowness isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 AM

21 posts, read 53,128 times
This is funny to me now. I just cruised by this thread, b/c we moved from WC to South Florida (Boca Raton) last Feb '08. I wanted to see what people were posting about my beloved home town. I miss WC so much!

I'm a regular gal, not pretentious in any way. The 'richie' attitude you describe in WC cannot hold a candle to what I have experienced here in Boca. I am appalled at the 'rich' types here. You have no idea how bad it is. I am not going to go into it, but I just wanted to let you know that now that I have lived elsewhere, WC is very TAME. You'd better not ever move to South FL, you will be so depressed, lol! Just a friendly warning!

BTW, we have to move again, due to hubby's business. Sadly, we cannot move back to CA right now. We are going to TX, to the N Dallas area. When I was back in CA, I would NEVER have considered TX an option. Now that I have lived in South FL, I cannot wait to get out of here! There will hopefully be some nice people to meet in TX, b/c we have met ONE friendly family here in 9 months! We've been largely ignored in our neighborhood, the kids' schools, and elsewhere. And I have volunteered at the school & tried to meet new people in the 'hood. We were in such a tight-knit, social neighborhood in WC, that we are just miserable here without any of that!

Good luck to you w/ your WC job, and remember, the snooty people could be a LOT worse, TRUST me!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,118,378 times
It is many cities in the east bay. San Ramon and Danville are the same way.

They think their s*** don't stink. I think someone told them once they were entitled to be obnoxious and rude and they ran with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella925 View Post
Well more so about Walnut Creek people...Now let me start by saying that I am not holding these findings to be true, just want some other opinions on what I am going to say........

I live in Concord and have worked at a retail store in Walnut Creek for over a year. One thing I just can not stand about walnut creek is the people.
Why do the people tend to be so snotty and think everyone should work extra hard to please them. Now I do not care if you have a lot of money or not, it does not mean you should be treated differently than the rest. A lot of the people that I work with feel the same way. We just tend to not like the people in Walnut Creek.
The overall impression I get it:
They think they are better, even better than san francisco
They dont go anywhere outside of walnut Creek because its not good enough except possibly pleasanton
They tend to not want to be associated with Concord or Pleasant hill, even though they share borders with both cities.
They expect you to be their personal shoppers and bend over backwards to please them even though its not your job to do so.
The one I get the biggest laugh about is how they are scared to go to Concord because they think it is the ghetto (well, actually some people on here think the same exact way, what a shame).

Now Im certain some of the things I listed can definitely go for people in Pleasanton as well, stereotypically. But I've even heard people from Pleasanton say that Walnut Creek is ghetto and poor. Haha. But I do not go to pleasanton that often, so I cant say much on that.

But the reason I felt so compelled to post this is because people on here tend to make Walnut Creek sound like heaven when really it is NOT that great. It would be much better if SOME of the people's attitudes were better.

So people who live in or who are very familiar with either area, what is your opinion on the people overall???

Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM

36,644 posts, read 67,325,378 times
I love WCs shopping district. So classy.

As far as snobbiness, I notice more from newbies than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland