U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-21-2008, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 13,882 times
Default COMMUTE San Francisco to NAPA

hello !
I may be offered a sweet job in Napa !
Would be leaving SF at 9 am 4 days a week.
Does anyone else do this trip ?
I figure its about an hour.....
what would be the best time to come home
After 6pm ?
Thank you !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-22-2008, 07:56 AM

24,195 posts, read 25,105,351 times
I did that commute for 4 months, from southeast San Francisco (Bayview area) to Napa via I-80. It took me 50-60 minutes each way, and I worked from 12-9pm... at rush-hour, expect upwards of 1.5 hours. Leaving at 6pm will still get you in some traffic, so I'd say leave at 7 if you really want to move. As for the morning commute, I really don't know specifics, since I never left before 10-11am (pretty clear by then). The good news is that you're going against the heavy traffic, but I would suggest a later schedule if you have any flexibility. And you can avoid traffic jams altogether if you take the Golden Gate Bridge route, but that is expensive and circuitous - only makes sense if you live right near the GGB. Good luck!

Unread 10-22-2008, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 13,882 times
Default to Gizmo

Thank you ! Yes.....I live in So. SF.
So I guess Bay Bridge it is...
And I would be tending bar afternoons to about 7pm..so this may just work out perfect.
I am so used to working right here in my own city, but this new op may be the chance of a lifetime for my career...
Thank you !!

Unread 01-02-2009, 08:00 AM

35 posts, read 122,428 times
hi there. My question is the reverse. My husband may soon have an offer for the Napa Valley (we would live in Napa) but my area of work requires a larger city. Would it be possible to commute from Napa to SF? By car, ferry? How long that would take? We currently live in NYC and we are aware that public transportation in CA is not the same as in NY. I need honest and reliable information so we can make our decision. On another note, how is the living expense in Napa? Since it is a tourist region, my first thought is that it would be fairly high. Maybe I am wrong. What do you think? Thank you.

Unread 01-02-2009, 08:43 AM

6,488 posts, read 14,957,413 times
Napa to San Francisco would be positively absurd. 2 hours one way up to infinity, and two toll bridges totaling $8 a day. There have been times that it has taken over an hour just to get onto the bridge from city streets in the evening. The closest public transit would be the Vallejo ferry, but honestly, it would probably be easier to commute to Sacramento!

Unread 01-02-2009, 11:20 AM

90 posts, read 275,166 times
nycbra -- If you two need that arrangement of employment (SF pay will be much greater than Sac pay for the same job), then you need to live in the North Bay by a ferry station. His commute will be fine to Napa but it would be great in fog (January mostly) if he could telecommute in the mornings. You need quick ferry access. Golden Gate Ferry *

The cost of living is about the same around the Bay except for the cost of housing. But you should rent for a year to determine if you are living in the right place, plus housing will still be declining in value for a year or so. Good luck.

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:55 AM

Thank you all. Alohakat, I will look at the ferry options.

Unread 01-06-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Napa to San Francisco would be positively absurd. 2 hours one way up to infinity, and two toll bridges totaling $8 a day. There have been times that it has taken over an hour just to get onto the bridge from city streets in the evening. The closest public transit would be the Vallejo ferry, but honestly, it would probably be easier to commute to Sacramento!
Hi Sonarrat, when you mention that Sacramento would be easier, do you really mean it? It would be faster and cheaper? I am willing to take a 1 hr commute (each way) for the right job. I am "job searching" in all towns in the area and assessing the commute to each of them (SF, Novato, Oakland, Davis, Sacramento, etc).

I want to once again thank all of you in this forum. I am really glad to have found so many helpful people full of advices for a new member like me.

Unread 01-06-2009, 02:56 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,692,966 times
Use the ferry system

Unread 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM

6,488 posts, read 14,957,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbra View Post
Hi Sonarrat, when you mention that Sacramento would be easier, do you really mean it? It would be faster and cheaper? I am willing to take a 1 hr commute (each way) for the right job. I am "job searching" in all towns in the area and assessing the commute to each of them (SF, Novato, Oakland, Davis, Sacramento, etc).

I want to once again thank all of you in this forum. I am really glad to have found so many helpful people full of advices for a new member like me.
Napa to Sacramento is about an hour and a half. Napa to San Francisco is a guaranteed 2 hours plus, except at 3 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland