U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM

11,979 posts, read 13,304,977 times

Advertisements

As a recent transplant from L.A. to San Francisco, I haven't yet discovered where The City's best hamburger is to be found. I realize there are plenty of "gourmet" places that might have expensive burgers, but that's not what I'm looking for. Nor am I looking for fast food chain burgers. For those of you on here familiar with L.A. I'm thinking on the order of the Apple Pan or Carney's on the West Side, Pie & Burger in Pasadena, or the sadly defunct Jay's in Silver Lake. For a city that loves to eat so much, there HAS to be a really superb burger available SOMEWHERE. And as we all know, not everyone's a vegetarian fanatic here so I'm not looking for veggie burgers.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 PM

461 posts, read 955,953 times
I am actually a veggie, but my husband is a burger guy and he says Gordon Biersch has the best burger for his money. It is on Embarcadero.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:43 AM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 4,333,355 times
Would argue that in past 2-3 yrs LA has surpassed SF in terms of quality of restaurants, both fine dining and casual spots for burgers/pizza, etc...

For burgers in SF, prob Taylor's or Zuni will win...

Would favor the burger at VillagePub in Woodside over anything in City of SF...

Have forgotten if still being served, but would argue burger (meat was infused w/some cheese) at the caddyshack (not in hotel itself) at Ritz HalfMoonBay was best in SF region...

But many in SF/SiliconValley have wkend places on LA's Westside and enjoy their wkend dining choices in LA more than the limited choices in SF

Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,589,743 times
homemade is always better than any fast food joint

Old 10-25-2008, 03:27 AM

11,979 posts, read 13,304,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Would argue that in past 2-3 yrs LA has surpassed SF in terms of quality of restaurants, both fine dining and casual spots for burgers/pizza, etc...
If you think L.A. has surpassed S.F. for pizza, you either have never been to North Beach and have only eaten at chains in S.F. OR you think that the Coop and Damiano's are representative of ALL pizza in L.A.

And there's no way in hell that Italian food in L.A. is anywhere close to S.F. Mexican and all Asian cuisines in S.F. are pretty much equal to L.A.

The one area where L.A. does excel over S.F. is Jewish food. S.F.'s delis are very mediocre. However someone from NYC, Philly or Montreal would think L.A.'s Jewish delis to be mediocre in comparison to what they're used to.

I'm trying to find a quality burger in S.F. Zuni seems like it would be too expensive but I'll check out Taylor's.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:42 AM

6,835 posts, read 16,763,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
homemade is always better than any fast food joint
Yep.. just get yourself some ground beef in a tube and sourdough bread at Smart & Final, fry it up, add some cheese, and enjoy.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 10,255 times
Give a try to Slider's on Polk and Sutter. Meat cooked to order and then top it yourself at the buffet-style topping bar. Yum!

Downtown I would suggest Moe's on top of Moscone South or for a little smaller burger I like the Mushroom & Swiss at Bistro Burger in San Francisco Centre or various other places downtown.

And don't overlook Carl's Jr. Not your usual fast food. The Pastrami Burger and the Sirloin Burger are yummy for only $6.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:01 PM

453 posts, read 1,104,782 times
Zuni is good in the city; I'm unimpressed by Taylor's, though it's a fun place to eat for other reasons.

You can also go on an East Bay adventure---two Oakland restaurants, Luka's in Uptown (19th St BART) and Wood Tavern in Rockridge (Rockridge BART) have phenomenal burgers. Both are a little on the upscale side with sustainable meat, Acme rolls, etc., so expect to pay around $13 each (but the Wood version comes with some excellent fries, and Luka's has an incredible beer list to accompany your burger). Both worth a visit, though they may not be quite what you're looking for.

Adam's Burger, also in Oakland but close to the lake, is supposed to have great burgers more along the lines of what you're probably looking for---old-school hole-in-the-wall place.

Last edited by artemis78; 10-25-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 03:42 PM

8 posts, read 10,255 times
A friend just reminded me of Cablecar Diner on Geary just East of Masonic. A really excellent greasy-burger.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:06 PM

96 posts, read 203,089 times
Pearl's Deluxe Burgers at Post and Jones is mighty tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland