Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,241 times

Advertisements

I'm currently planning on moving to Sf from NY next year. So last night I had a dream about my 3rd week living in SF and had a total Freak Out!

I haven't left NYC for more than 2 weeks in my entire life.

In my dream I started to miss the NYC Subway, the pizza, the bagels, my family, my friends, blah, blah, blah. I was worrying about rent, jobs, would I be happy?

My anxiety grew more and more until I woke up all sweaty and breathing heavy!

It was quite scary considering I had never experienced homesickness.

Has anyone else experienced this type of moving anxiety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,242 times
I've moved several different places in my life. I have been away from home for about 7 years now, and still get homesick every once in awhile. It's normal. At first you may question the move. Get out and about, involved and experience the beautiful things of S.F. It'll die down after awhile.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:44 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,174 times
According to what I've read, moving is one of the most stressful times in a person's life. I think it's normal.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
Well, I moved from Bakersfield to San Francisco for college and I miss my parents quite a bit. The one thing that I found was that even though I don't like Bakersfield, I miss it because of the familiarity. I know where everything is and it's comfortable. So, I get it. But everyone I've met is ridiculously friendly. It's easy to make friends and find things to do and get caught up in the city. You'll definitely feel homesick after you move but one day I bet you'll wake up and San Francisco will feel really familiar and like home.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 AM

13 posts, read 53,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I'm currently planning on moving to Sf from NY next year. So last night I had a dream about my 3rd week living in SF and had a total Freak Out!

I haven't left NYC for more than 2 weeks in my entire life.

In my dream I started to miss the NYC Subway, the pizza, the bagels, my family, my friends, blah, blah, blah. I was worrying about rent, jobs, would I be happy?

My anxiety grew more and more until I woke up all sweaty and breathing heavy!

It was quite scary considering I had never experienced homesickness.

Has anyone else experienced this type of moving anxiety?
Hahahaha man I feel you. I moved here from New York a few years ago. Well not exactly San Francisco but to Sacramento. First just face it that you won't find a passable bagel anywhere. Seems that it's a combination of the water being too hard and that most bagel places forget that important step of boiling before baking.

Some places have passable pizza Amici's coming to mind easily but I've been to a couple others that work as well. However whenever I go back to NY, Grimaldi's is the first stop I make after hitting the house.

San Francisco is the most New York like city on the West Coast. Everything's close by, the transit is very good and you don't need a car to live in the city itself, great neighborhoods, wonderful restaurants. Though it's a bit cold for me but I still love it. Anytime I get homesick I go down to SF it always makes me feel better.

And just like in NYC the "N" train goes to the beach

Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp49 View Post
Hahahaha man I feel you. I moved here from New York a few years ago. Well not exactly San Francisco but to Sacramento. First just face it that you won't find a passable bagel anywhere. Seems that it's a combination of the water being too hard and that most bagel places forget that important step of boiling before baking.

Some places have passable pizza Amici's coming to mind easily but I've been to a couple others that work as well. However whenever I go back to NY, Grimaldi's is the first stop I make after hitting the house.

San Francisco is the most New York like city on the West Coast. Everything's close by, the transit is very good and you don't need a car to live in the city itself, great neighborhoods, wonderful restaurants. Though it's a bit cold for me but I still love it. Anytime I get homesick I go down to SF it always makes me feel better.

And just like in NYC the "N" train goes to the beach
Comparing Sac to SF is like comparing Paris to the Gobi desert with Sac being the Gobi desert. The food, as well as the water quality does get much better as you move closer to civilization!

I understand why the politicians in Sac make such strange decisions. It's hard to think clearly on an empty stomach!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 AM

13 posts, read 53,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Comparing Sac to SF is like comparing Paris to the Gobi desert with Sac being the Gobi desert. The food, as well as the water quality does get much better as you move closer to civilization!

I understand why the politicians in Sac make such strange decisions. It's hard to think clearly on an empty stomach!
Too nice of a comparison for Sac. At this point I'd take the Gobi. I should have said though I live here I work in SF.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,372 times
I moved out to SF at 23 from NYC/tri-state area after being born and raised there. Yes. It's a shocker, sure, but neither NYC nor SF will evaporate suddenly, on a whim, you can always go back.
My college roommate was NYC homesick and moved back after about 5 years. Needless to say, she did about 3 more years in the city (and I mean NYC, not SF as some people try to do around here ;-))
and she came right back to SF and is so glad she's back. I think she's staying put this time it's been about 3.5 years now as well.
Point is, it's all a matter of perspective. I used to spend a lot of time watching any TV show that was filmed in NYC just to get a bit of that visual. Nothing compares for sure, but SF has a lot going for it.
They are 2 distinct cities each has EXCELLENT pros and of course a few cons, but I love them both equally now, (granted it's been 16 years now and I've even moved over the GG bridge to Sonoma County) but you'll never know what it's like till you try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland