Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:40 PM

96 posts, read 309,398 times

Advertisements

I live in Lower Nob Hill (aka the Tendernob) and have great views even on the 5th floor because of the hills.

Highly recommend the neighborhood too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 AM

172 posts, read 522,746 times
Thank you for all your input. Is downtown a good area to live in? Is it in an expensive area?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:48 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcassin View Post
I'm looking for city life perhaps in a highrise apartment where I can have a great view of the city.
You could live in a low-rise building located on one of the hills and still get a great view. And having a place with a great view tends to increase the rent a bit.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
The downtown area is the most expensive. And the high-rises that have views will be the most expensive in that area. Think $4000 for a one-bedroom.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Yep... everyone wants a view in this city, so you pay dearly for it!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 PM

226 posts, read 1,125,984 times
Yeah, downtown comes to mind, including Mission Bay, and the new towers (Avalon, Rincon) going up by the bridge. If a view of the City is all you are looking for, and you can deal with living outside of the City, you could try Alameda. Some apartment complexes can get you a pretty decent view, especially at night. The cost is MUCH lower.

Now that I am reading this post more, are you trying to say that you want to be among the buildings by living in a skyscaper district?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 AM

172 posts, read 522,746 times
Tennis : Yeah something like that. I'd like to live in a highrise apartment preferably in the city centre where it is all happening.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Rincon Towers: Downtown San Francisco Luxury Apartments & Corporate Housing. You would pay extra for the view and I would hate to be on the upper floors during an earthquake

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM

52 posts, read 171,128 times
If you want a view, there are other parts of the city with views. My grandmother lives in the Mission and has an awesome view of downtown and the bay bridge. She lives in the Dolores Park area and the top of the hill going higher up has a really good view.

I, personally, hated living in Nob Hill and I am a big city girl. It's not "all happening" in the city center, so if that's your reason for being there, you might just want to look elsewhere.

The city center has shady parts depending on where you are, and the majority of stuff is closed after a certain point, except some restaurants, bars and clubs that cater to tourists and prostitutes (I kid you not). It's not the kinda place where you would really walk out your door and find something new and the touristy scene gets old after a bit. I swear, if I eat another breakfast at Lori's I might have a complete meltdown!

The plus is, yea, you can have a view and it's convenient if you work down town. If you want an urban feel, you can get that elsewhere, to be honest. If you want to spend, parts of Pacific Heights have views (not of the cityline, but still) and it close enough to social stuff (food, bars, stores) but you still come home and like where you live.

Our place in Nob Hill was nice, but I could never get used to the fact that 1.) I couldn't find reliable parking and 2.) if I went a few blocks this way or a few block that way, I might run into a sketchy character. Seems like you really pay too much for what you get there, IMHO.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
The downtown financial district isn't really where it "all happens." SoMa has a bit more life to it, but, oddly, not nearly as much as the neighborhoods that have fewer high-rises like Noe Valley and the Duboce Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland