U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM

12,804 posts, read 10,917,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
In my experience it does, maybe even more so. San Diego seems to have a higher percentage of transplants overall and is a more popular place for people to want to relocate to than the Bay Area to live, so you're gonna meet them from all over the place. Having lived in both places as well my experience is there are a ton of east coast transplants, possibly a higher percentage of SF but I don't really have any way of confirming that with numbers.
All you have to do is talk to people. Even the accents heard in SF sometimes are quite east coast. Enough for it to be noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM

10,352 posts, read 13,802,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
All you have to do is talk to people. Even the accents heard in SF sometimes are quite east coast. Enough for it to be noticed.
okay, I'm not saying that SF doesn't have a lot of east coast transplants, just saying that SD does as well, possibly even more so. I hear east coast accents all the time here, the Boston one seems to be the most prevalent. My two neighbors above me are both from Boston with the heaviest accents, some coworkers have it, some of my friends still have their Boston accents, people at the gym, cashiers at the store, etc..... On my one block alone there are cars with license plates from at least 4 different Northeastern states. I see a lot more out of state plates here than I do in SF.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
okay, I'm not saying that SF doesn't have a lot of east coast transplants, just saying that SD does as well, possibly even more so. I hear east coast accents all the time here, the Boston one seems to be the most prevalent. My two neighbors above me are both from Boston with the heaviest accents, some coworkers have it, some of my friends still have their Boston accents, people at the gym, cashiers at the store, etc..... On my one block alone there are cars with license plates from at least 4 different Northeastern states. I see a lot more out of state plates here than I do in SF.
We'll agree to disagree and move on.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:47 AM

394 posts, read 852,805 times
Just take a 60 min flight to SF so you can judge for youself..This OP acting like shes on the other side of the country..

Old 09-30-2009, 03:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,488,313 times
Quote:
City % Sunshine Clear Days Phoenix, Arizona 85 211 Las Vegas, Nevada 85 210 Tucson, Arizona 85 193 El Paso, Texas 84 193 Fresno, California 79 194 Sacramento, California 78 188 Albuquerque, New Mexico 76 186 Los Angeles, California 73 167 Denver, Colorado 69 115 San Diego, California 68 146 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 68 139 San Francisco, California 66 160
Sunniest US Cities - Current Results
Along the coast, I'm still not convinced of there being much of a difference in sunshine between LA, SF and SD. LA is highest in that percentage because a much greater percentage of the population is away from the coast than in SF or SD. Generally the people that disagree with me on this are people that lived near the coast in one or two of the places and further inland elsewhere (assuming said people have actually lived in all three). If you're 10 miles from the ocean in any of the three, you'll get much more than even the 73% sunshine. If you're at the immediate coast, that's where those numbers come in. SD is at 66% because it's airport is near the coast as is most all of its population. Ditto SF. I'd bet the L.A. numbers don't come from LAX but from downtown or Hollywood etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 PM

I did feel like SF had much more of an east coast feel to it than SD or L.A. Lots more pizza restaurants and far fewer Mexican places, for instance.

Burbuza: Sounds like you had a limited experience in SF. I walked down Columbus Ave from North Beach into Chinatown. I headed back in the direction I came from pretty quickly lol. I'd reccomend visitors spend a majority of time roaming the north shoreline-from the Financial district winding around through North Beach and continuing through Fort Mason, the Marina district and through the Presidio. Anchor yourself there and then gradually venture out and check out the rest. Basically stay on the North side of the mesa that runs parralell to the shoreline of the Bay. Once you climb to the top of that mesa (Nob Hill, Pac Heights etc) you don't want to descend south of there until you've spent a good bit of time in the better areas. That's not to say there are not redeeming places and qualities to other areas. But you don't want to judge SF a ton when you spent the majority of your time in places like Market St (as another person from Europe who disliked SF did) or Chinatown.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Along the coast, I'm still not convinced of there being much of a difference in sunshine between LA, SF and SD. LA is highest in that percentage because a much greater percentage of the population is away from the coast than in SF or SD. Generally the people that disagree with me on this are people that lived near the coast in one or two of the places and further inland elsewhere (assuming said people have actually lived in all three). If you're 10 miles from the ocean in any of the three, you'll get much more than even the 73% sunshine. If you're at the immediate coast, that's where those numbers come in. SD is at 66% because it's airport is near the coast as is most all of its population. Ditto SF. I'd bet the L.A. numbers don't come from LAX but from downtown or Hollywood etc.
You are probably right in that assessment. Although, I think SF numbers are from away from the coast as it is now. The Sunset District of SF is known for it's predominantly overcast skies. However, with that being said, in San Diego La Jolla often has a cloud sitting over it, or on it in the form of fog.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I did feel like SF had much more of an east coast feel to it than SD or L.A. Lots more pizza restaurants and far fewer Mexican places, for instance.

Burbuza: Sounds like you had a limited experience in SF. I walked down Columbus Ave from North Beach into Chinatown. I headed back in the direction I came from pretty quickly lol. I'd reccomend visitors spend a majority of time roaming the north shoreline-from the Financial district winding around through North Beach and continuing through Fort Mason, the Marina district and through the Presidio. Anchor yourself there and then gradually venture out and check out the rest. Basically stay on the North side of the mesa that runs parralell to the shoreline of the Bay. Once you climb to the top of that mesa (Nob Hill, Pac Heights etc) you don't want to descend south of there until you've spent a good bit of time in the better areas. That's not to say there are not redeeming places and qualities to other areas. But you don't want to judge SF a ton when you spent the majority of your time in places like Market St (as another person from Europe who disliked SF did) or Chinatown.
True, definitely take this advice. Walk along the embarcadero and head toward fishermans warf and pier 39 too. You can get to Lombard street from here. Check out the palace of fine arts...if you can find it. I've only ever run across it by accident. I'm an east bay person and usually go to SF for Golden Gate Park. That's another places worth visiting IMO. If you're from New York, you will get a strange "why does this remind me of Central Park" feeling. It was moddled after it but is acutally 179 acres bigger. You can walk through it all the way to the beach.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
You are probably right in that assessment. Although, I think SF numbers are from away from the coast as it is now. The Sunset District of SF is known for it's predominantly overcast skies. However, with that being said, in San Diego La Jolla often has a cloud sitting over it, or on it in the form of fog.
Yeah, basically EVERYWHERE along the west coast of the North American continent is greatly impacted by the marine layer. Places that are "sheltered" to a meaningful degree by it are places with land masses blocking the marine layer. Meaning south facing beaches like Santa Cruz or Santa Barbara and/or places with islands offshore. In California the examples would be the area in L.A./Orange County blocked by Catalina (San Pedro south to roughly Laguna) and the stretch of coast in Santa Barbara county blocked by the Channel Islands. Otherwise, you're looking at A LOT of overcast on the coast from May 1-Oct 1. I hang out in Hermosa Beach (3 miles south of LAX) and lived there 6 years and can tell you that they'll have dozens of days each year during May-Oct where the sun never breaks through or does so for under an hour all day. Nearly every day has multiple daylight hours of overcast during this part of the year. Of course, the overwhelming majority of LA is sunny and warm-hot at the same time it's overcast in the south bay. Same with SD.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
True, definitely take this advice. Walk along the embarcadero and head toward fishermans warf and pier 39 too. You can get to Lombard street from here. Check out the palace of fine arts...if you can find it. I've only ever run across it by accident. I'm an east bay person and usually go to SF for Golden Gate Park. That's another places worth visiting IMO. If you're from New York, you will get a strange "why does this remind me of Central Park" feeling. It was moddled after it but is acutally 179 acres bigger. You can walk through it all the way to the beach.
I'll also add that if you stay in the areas I mentioned, it's very likely you'll never smell urine in the streets ( i never did) and you'll see very few homeless people. The streets are also clean, though Columbus Ave started to get a bit "trashy" as I headed up towards Chinatown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland