Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM

259 posts, read 601,513 times

Advertisements

My husband just lost his job here in Colorado, and he's interviewed with two companies: one in San Diego and one in Petaluma. We're having a difficult time trying to decide which area is best for us.

I've never been to San Diego, but I hear that the climate is to die for. After living most of my life in Colorado (I'm a third-generation native), I could definitely handle the warm climate! But San Diego is also a really big city (which I'm assuming has the usual big-city problems, like traffic and crime), and the cost of living is extremely high.

We like the idea of Petaluma, since it's close enough to SF to get into the city as often as we want to, is fairly small and sort of isolated, and is next to the vineyards and Redwoods. I *think* the cost of living in Petaluma is slightly lower than in SD, but I'm not quite sure about that.

Can anyone offer any opinions about why we should choose one city over the other (not withstanding what the companies have to offer)? It's a difficult decision, but I'm really pleased that our job opportunities are in California instead of somewhere else in the country.

Thanks very much in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
I can only offer you information on Petaluma...I've never lived in San Diego.
There is a marked distinction that you already noted...SD is a big city compared to P-town.
SD is also more typical SoCal than Petaluma.
We don't get snow here, that's for sure. It is beautiful here and it sounds like it would be an easier transition for you from Colorado than SD...
We are only 32 miles north of SF, so that's cool, we're 25 minutes from Dillon Beach and about 2 hrs to Tahoe.
Petaluma is the "Gateway to the Wine Country" and it is a 'foodie' paradise.
Petaluma has a lot of Agriculture...hence chickens and cows, (not roaming the streets mind you) but amazing farms, ranches and vistas.
It is inhabited by quite a lot of "SF refugees" so it's a great mix of 'chicken town' and cosmpolitan artsy town.
Please offer more info about what you'd like to have in your potential new neighborhood and I'd be happy to help out with NorCal Petaluma info...
Someone else on this board would pick up the SD angle for you hopefully!
Have you ever visited either?
Do you have kids?

Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
San diego!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:40 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
I'd definetly choose San Diego over Petaluma, the commute is longer than it seems due to constant traffic into SF, plus they continue raising the toll on the GGB. However, I'd choose San Francisco over San Diego, but that commute kills me.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 PM

31 posts, read 102,688 times
San Diego, becareful of small towns, they do not like outsiders.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiy View Post
San Diego, becareful of small towns, they do not like outsiders.
Heeelllooo???? Do you live in either place?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I'd definetly choose San Diego over Petaluma, the commute is longer than it seems due to constant traffic into SF, plus they continue raising the toll on the GGB. However, I'd choose San Francisco over San Diego, but that commute kills me.
Did the OP mention they were planning a commute to SF? My response would have been different....
I coulda sworn I read that there was a job opp. IN Petaluma.
Driving or ferrying into SF for fun is an good time though, and that was my point.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:01 AM

7 posts, read 32,419 times
Hi Jukie,

I would suggest you Petaluma as you are clearly aware about expenses and the traffic in the big city like San Diego.

thanks,

Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Did the OP mention they were planning a commute to SF? My response would have been different....
I coulda sworn I read that there was a job opp. IN Petaluma.
Driving or ferrying into SF for fun is an good time though, and that was my point.
"We like the idea of Petaluma, since it's close enough to SF to get into the city as often as we want to"

We were going to buy a restaurant/brewery in Petaluma and also thought whenever we want to go to San Francisco, it's only a short drive away...just trying to get the idea that it really isn't that short of a drive and there's at least some point where it will be bumper to bumper plus the high toll.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:26 AM

188 posts, read 920,045 times
I lived in both places and they offer different experiences for sure. It largely depends where in San Diego you are considering living, Im guessing either North County, or at least North City, all fairly upper middle class suburbs. Unless you prefer rain and green springs, SD wins weather wise, but keep in mind Petaluma weather is pretty consistently warm and mild throughout the year (rarely tops 100 in summer). SF is pretty accessible as well outside commute hours (~37 miles), and the town it self has an quaint downtown and diverse housing stock, from old victorians on the westside, new suburban tracts on the eastside and ranches all over the outlying area. Santa Rosa and San Rafael are not too far away for a mall trip also. Im single and younger than most here and prefer SD for that reason, but it largely depends what you're looking for. Good Luck to you and your husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland